Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben.detw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: What are my chances? Reply with quote

Ok, I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with. I just finished my on-site masters degree from SUNY Bangkok (American university) and completed my bachelors degree at Bangkok University International College. I have 4 years teaching experience at a Thai high school and language center at night. Also, a 120-hour on-site TEFL.

1. Will my masters degree supersede my Bangkok bachelors degree when I am applying for a job in Korea?

2. Will there be any issues with me getting an E-2 visa?

3. My goal is to teach at the university level in Korea eventually, is this realistic with my experience?

Your responses are much appreciated Very Happy
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What are my chances? Reply with quote

ben.detw wrote:
Ok, I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with. I just finished my on-site masters degree from SUNY Bangkok (American university) and completed my bachelors degree at Bangkok University International College. I have 4 years teaching experience at a Thai high school and language center at night. Also, a 120-hour on-site TEFL.

1. Will my masters degree supersede my Bangkok bachelors degree when I am applying for a job in Korea?

2. Will there be any issues with me getting an E-2 visa?

3. My goal is to teach at the university level in Korea eventually, is this realistic with my experience?

Your responses are much appreciated Very Happy

1) no.

2) yes. It is publicly stated (immigration and MOE policy) that to obtain an E2 as a teacher of English that your degree must be issued from an accredited university in an anglophone country (specifically one of: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ or S.Africa).

3) No, see 2.

4) you may have difficulty getting an American apositlle on your degrees.

5) feel free to ignore me and apply anyway but your chances are "very not good".

ben.detw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz,

Thanks for your reply. I understand the issues.

What would be your advice with my experience?

I would not mind teaching in the middle east (Saudi, UAE, Qatar).

Also, would china grant me a visa with my qualifications?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that any job in the middle east will take an Anglophone passport holder (you didn't say where you were from and that will make a difference) with a Thai degree or Thai MA seriously.
Again, you won't know till you start to apply but I think your odds would be poor.

China is a definite maybe (at the k-12 levels or at a uni (but uni's don't pay very well)) as is buxiban work in Taiwan.

Get a TCT licence and get a decent job at a bilingual school in Thailand unless you need to "get out of dodge". Decent jobs in the 60-75k thb range aren't that hard to find if you have the paperwork (although they may not like your Thai degrees either - they know what such are worth).

Vietnam can be lucrative as well but the market for EFL isn't as developed as it is in other parts of E. Asia.

ben.detw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz,

I am an American citizen who grew up in America and moved to Thailand to be with my dad after I finished high-school in America.

Yes, the bachelors degree is from Thailand (Bangkok University International College), but my masters degree is from America.

http://www.uecthai.com/programs/us-master-degree-in-thailand/

I think employers will not care about my bachelors coming from BUIC if I have a fully accredited masters degree (Interdisciplinary studies) from a well established American university (SUNY).

I would like to get out of Thailand and preferably head to the middle east to get experience in the gulf. I am open to different locations as well.

I plan to head back to the US in a few years to do a certification program and become a certified teacher and teach at international schools around the world.

What is the maximum amount China and Vietnam can yield for a teacher with my qualifications?

Thanks for your help, I have much respect.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employers may not care but immigration services do.

The visa is usually the issue and your degrees NOT being earned in the States (or other anglophone country) will usually come back to bite you in the azz.

If your parchment or the TOR for your MA indicates that it was earned at a Thai uni then it is what it is; a graduate degree from a Thai (Bangkok University International College) university.

The fact that the program website is a dot com (hosted in California) and not a dot edu ( on the suny.edu domain) or a dot ac.th may come back to bite you as well (serious questions about the legitimacy or accreditation of the program).

My saying otherwise or you wishing otherwise won't make it what it isn't.

If you want to work in the ME then APPLY. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The worst that will happen is you don't get any replies or a job that may be offered will be later declined when they discover that your MA was earned in Thailand and not in the States.

As to how much you can make; it will depend more on you than on your qualifications. A very capable teacher even with the bare minimum of credentials can earn enough, in the private sector, to live very comfortably and still SAVE $10-15k per year while in Asia.

It's going to be all about what you can do, who you know and who knows you.

Beyond the immigration issues (and you will have those with your current qualifications), it is all about showing your value to an employer. It is NOT about the fancy wallpaper you collect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: