Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biggest or most reputable hakwon chains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kowalskih

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Biggest or most reputable hakwon chains Reply with quote

I'm out of the hakwon loop because I last taught in Korea in 2001-2004 when Poly Returnee was one of the big chains at the time. I'm looking for work again and am curious about what the biggest and/or most reputable hakwon chains are at the moment. Thanks!
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderland
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest or most reputable hakwon chains Reply with quote

kowalskih wrote:
I'm out of the hakwon loop because I last taught in Korea in 2001-2004 when Poly Returnee was one of the big chains at the time. I'm looking for work again and am curious about what the biggest and/or most reputable hakwon chains are at the moment. Thanks!

Same - same.

The usual run of big chains / franchises. Nothing hot or new.

The usual run of reputable hagwons (virtually none).

faeriehazel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Avalon and Chungdahm. I know a lot of people hate them, but I worked at Chungdahm for a few years and while I would never work there again, it wasn't an absolute horror story. I had enough hours and I got paid on time, and most of my co-workers were sane and reasonable people. They feed you a lot of corporate bullshit, but it's easily ignored.
Charlie Bourque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, YBM is reasonably large and they don't jerks around their employees. Their packages are pretty standard.
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of most popular include the following:

WSI Korea (one of the best schools that I worked for with no split shifts)
YBM Sisa (okay and you are worked hard with potential split shifts)

Other than that, most of the other Hagwons are pretty much the same.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of the places to teach were great...they would not have to advertise for teachers....current teachers would be recommending the school and getting their friends to teach their.
On another note....having recruiters do the hiring only shows me that the school or place is not worth working at and I'll have more problems....the school does not want to hire direct....they don't have to deal with the teacher when problems come up...they just tell them to see your recruiter!
For years and years this site has had mainly negative reports on schools, owners, etc...
I'll bet you in that in the past dozen years or so on this site...you will not find over 100 different posts naming great places/schools to teach at...heck...make it 50 schools! even 25!
It's all about timing and being lucky to land a decent gig to teach at in korea.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second WSI Korea they hardly ever advertise though, they rely on word of mouth but you can apply directly.

YBM Adult division, would be much better without split shifts, they do everything they promise to do.

I still can't believe that they advertise 10 days vacation, you only work 20 days a month, so you may get 1 or 2 days off in some months but that is not a vacation. In your second year or if business gets slow, they will allow you to take a month off without pay.

Alright a long weekend is a vacation in Korean culture, but they should be sensitive enough to understand that it isn't a vacation in the minds of most westerners.

CDI's work on red days kills them in my book, although they seem okay to work for. Their independent contractor (IC) contracts used to be great even though working in a hagwon it is almost impossible to legally be an IC. Now they try to scam IC's with 25k an hour. Make sure you're getting an employee contract.

I have heard good things about working in China, but unfortunately the way I got my visa precludes me finding out for myself. A friend was offered 16k Yuan a month at WSI there, which would leave you better off than anything in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: