Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

qualifications for EPIK program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Brumer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: qualifications for EPIK program Reply with quote

Is the info on EPIK site old? It say there that I only need a bachelors degree to apply.
But when I go to recruiter's sites, it says that I need to have theESL, with in-class teaching hours, to apply.
Can I enter the EPIK program with just my degree?

I would guess with the new ministry rules regarding ESL cert that I cannot.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess when you were on the EPIK website you missed the "What's new" bulletin 234

EPIK wrote:
Greetings Prospective Applicants,

In recent terms, the application process has gradually become more competitive. At this point, it is almost impossible for level 3 applicants to secure a position with the EPIK program. As such, the most common way for level 3 applicants to increase their qualifications would be to enroll in a TEFL or TESOL course.

Currently, we accept a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL certificate as a qualification criteria for level 2 or higher pay grade, regardless of how the course was taken. However, starting from the Fall 2013 term, when we recommend candidates to the POE/MOEs we will give a priority to the applicants possessing a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL with at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component, as opposed to those who only completed a strictly online course. We strongly advise you to take the TEFL or TESOL programs including at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component. However, Busan will only acknowledge TESOL/TEFL certificates that contain at least a 60 hour offline, in-class component. This decision was made to meet requests from the POE/MOEs and schools who wish to have the most qualified Guest English Teachers possible.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Robert Brumer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks...guess I did

trying to get info, but there is a lot of it out there, much of it not agreeing with each other
busanliving

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously wondering how many people will actually meet these new qualifications. I'm guessing it doesn't effect existing teachers at the moment?

If I were in a position to I would currently be setting up a programme offering a 20 hour class in TEFL right about now.
Tyshine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busanliving wrote:
I'm seriously wondering how many people will actually meet these new qualifications. I'm guessing it doesn't effect existing teachers at the moment?

If I were in a position to I would currently be setting up a programme offering a 20 hour class in TEFL right about now.

My friend will be applying without the in class thing, he already had a TEFL and there are no in class TEFL programs near him. I will be curious to see how it goes. I predict he gets hired.
baedaebok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Unemployed teachers Reply with quote

What's causing such an influx of applicants into EPIK? Is it the teacher employment situation in the US? Is overseas ESL teaching just becoming more popular?

BDB
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increased awareness of Korea and ESL in general.

Before, people didn't know about Korea, and had never heard about teaching English there (at least in the U.S.). Now, a greater percentage of the population knows it exists.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unemployed teachers Reply with quote

baedaebok wrote:
What's causing such an influx of applicants into EPIK? Is it the teacher employment situation in the US? Is overseas ESL teaching just becoming more popular?

BDB

It is probably a combination of:
-too many teachers getting burned by hagwons turning to PS programs.
-too many economic refugees coming out of the States (applications to PS programs are 10x higher than they were in 2008).
-Korea in general and EFL as an option being talked about more often.
-more people willing to travel to find work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: