Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At what point would you decide to leave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the North lobs any kind of missile on the SKorean mainland I'll leave with my daughter (for her safety). Hitting an obscure island off the coast won't get me to leave unless it escalates.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would offer to help any way possible (giving blood etc).

Being from the UK, you wouldn't be able to give blood - because of BSE in the past.......... Unless they changed the rules during time of 'war' - not joking!

Brits cannot 'donate' blood in lots of countries because of BSE.....

After I posted this I saw you said that you've given blood before here in Korea - fair play, but the hospital messed up.

'officially' Brits blood cannot be accepted due to the risk )prob 0.00000001%) chance that the blood is infected with BSE....
javis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get locked in my bunker if things went down. We would have to be seriously losing for me to get packing.
RisaRosenrot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready to leave now...just waiting on the say so. I really don't want to stick around even if they are "just words." Who knows, Kim Jong Un may not just be trying to pee in our cornflakes. I'm so ready to get out of here. I don't belong in South Korea. I belong in the states with my family and friends.
cam83

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:
Would offer to help any way possible (giving blood etc).

Being from the UK, you wouldn't be able to give blood - because of BSE in the past.......... Unless they changed the rules during time of 'war' - not joking!

Brits cannot 'donate' blood in lots of countries because of BSE.....

After I posted this I saw you said that you've given blood before here in Korea - fair play, but the hospital messed up.

'officially' Brits blood cannot be accepted due to the risk )prob 0.00000001%) chance that the blood is infected with BSE....

Wow really? I'll look into that, thanks for the intel - unless the regulations changed, I'd have to say yes, the hospital messed BIG TIME! Shocked
tran.huongthu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
A flight attendant friend says she has seen a sudden spike in teacher-aged people leaving. Same totals in/out pretty much, but those leaving appear to be younger 20 and 30-somethings.

Gonna be a hard time for recruiters if this keeps up.

Makes sense as these are the ones that could get a job easily somewhere else in the region or even back home.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
If the North lobs any kind of missile on the SKorean mainland I'll leave with my daughter (for her safety). Hitting an obscure island off the coast won't get me to leave unless it escalates.

Nice to know your concern stops with your daughter and does not extend to your wife Wink

Perhaps you just worded that wrong.
missty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really hard for me to make the decision to leave, especially as I'd be leaving behind my boyfriend of two years. Saying that, if the British embassy packed up and left and if they advised that we leave, then I would be inclined to take their advice.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missty wrote:
It would be really hard for me to make the decision to leave, especially as I'd be leaving behind my boyfriend of two years. Saying that, if the British embassy packed up and left and if they advised that we leave, then I would be inclined to take their advice.

yeah, i can see how that conversation would pan out later...

"hi, im back!"
"?"
"lets pick up where we left off!"
"but you left me here to die"
"yes, but im back now because my embassy advised me its safe!"
"?"
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, for one thing, it is way to early to start panicking and running. Odds are those that have pulled out now will look like complete idiots.

This is not Germany 1936 people.

I say stay. It could be the adventure of a lifetime, one that 30 years from now, you'll wish you had ridden it out.

Plus, I think there would benefits to the bravery required to stay and see it through. There's a reason many people who live through war find themselves at a whole new level than before.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

I say stay. It could be the adventure of a lifetime, one that 30 years from now, you'll wish you had ridden it out.

Plus, I think there would benefits to the bravery required to stay and see it through. There's a reason many people who live through war find themselves at a whole new level than before.

lol. I'll be sure to remind my grandmothers how lucky they are to have experienced two wars.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i woke up this morning there was no electricity in my apartment. When i went into the landing all the emergency lights were on.

I was worried the north had done something but when i went downstairs a guy was fixing it.

Quote:

"hi, im back!"
"?"
"?"

I had a similar conversation with my girlfriend.

"If the North attack you should go home."
"Damn right. I'm no hero. You should come with me."
"I can't. I need to stay with my family."
"That sucks. Sorry for not sticking around but I don't want to die."
"I understand" *glare*
"Do you want to have .."
"I have a headache."

Mad
augustine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many are eagerly awaiting the moment where they can transition from food blogger to war correspondent. Cool
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

lol. I'll be sure to remind my grandmothers how lucky they are to have experienced two wars.

I know the stupidity of it, but there's a certain truth about it.

At the end of the day, I don't think I could pass up on the chance to live through history.
missty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
missty wrote:

"hi, im back!"
"?"
"?"

Well, he actually told me that he wants me to leave if it becomes too dangerous. He obviously doesn't want me living in a warzone. He said he'd stay to be with his family and I'd go until it became safe again. Personally though I couldn't imagine anything worse than going and worrying about him every day. Which is why I said 'inclined' and was not certain. Maybe I'd stay, maybe I'd go. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: