Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7br�u cans - where?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: 7br�u cans - where? Reply with quote

Their pale ale is not outstanding by Western standards. But it is domestic and far cheaper than exported ales. It's also pretty good, and excellent compared to any domestic alternatives. I've found it chilled at the local Homeplus Express. But is it available at other small Homeplus stores? Really, native Koreans should be very excited about this beer, and small supermarkets should stock it.
furtakk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen it at homeplus. It's the cheapest IPA by far (15k for a sixer) and not half bad.
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's only at HomePlus. Their website has a list of all the branches that carry it (in Korean). At the store near my place, it's hidden among all the other domestic beer.

Still, I'm not really impressed with 7brau. I had my hopes up, just to have them promptly shot down. You can mix an actual IPA with some domestic Hite Stout and achieve the same taste. I'm not judging anyone who drinks it. It's just not worth the price for me. I'll be sticking to my regimen of Hite/OB and cheap German beer from Emart with a monthly fix of Indica or Craftworks IPA.
joeteacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's at my Homepluss Express at Mia station.
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's only at HomePlus. Their website has a list of all the branches that carry it (in Korean). At the store near my place, it's hidden among all the other domestic beer.

Still, I'm not really impressed with 7brau. I had my hopes up, just to have them promptly shot down. You can mix an actual IPA with some domestic Hite Stout and achieve the same taste. I'm not judging anyone who drinks it. It's just not worth the price for me. I'll be sticking to my regimen of Hite/OB and cheap German beer from Emart with a monthly fix of Indica or Craftworks IPA.

Maybe it has changed, but previously their website only showed the full Homeplus stores, not the Express branches.

And I find it significantly better than any other canned Korean beer. That being said, the Magpie pale ale is much better. But you have to go to the brewery to get it. Maybe I'm not alone here, but in most cases I strongly prefer ales to lagers. 7br�u pale actually has flavor and body. If you were seeking an IPA, it's not one. They just called it that to sound cool. But accept what it is, and it's pretty delicious.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's not as good as Magpie's or Craftworks (Magpie's pale ale being the best beer I've ever had), but I do like 7Brau. Surprised
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already in the discount area at my homeplus (10k), it must not be selling.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:

No surprise really. After reading about it here, I checked it out at HomePlus where it was priced pretty much the same as most of the foreign beers. Why pay that kind of premium for a Korean beer?
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:

No surprise really. After reading about it here, I checked it out at HomePlus where it was priced pretty much the same as most of the foreign beers. Why pay that kind of premium for a Korean beer?

Because the comparably priced foreign beers are all boring fizzy yellow lagers. It's like you're comparing a totally decent pale ale to Heineken or Sapporo? If you want an imported pale ale, the cheapest will be approaching 5,000 / bottle. And in a meaningful sense, 7br�u is pretty much imported, because as far as I know, none of its ingredients is Korean.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanseurVertical wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:

Maybe it has changed, but previously their website only showed the full Homeplus stores, not the Express branches.

And I find it significantly better than any other canned Korean beer. That being said, the Magpie pale ale is much better. But you have to go to the brewery to get it. Maybe I'm not alone here, but in most cases I strongly prefer ales to lagers. 7br�u pale actually has flavor and body. If you were seeking an IPA, it's not one. They just called it that to sound cool. But accept what it is, and it's pretty delicious.

Yeah; style-wise it's actually an amber. So, if you think of it as an amber, it's quite good.

At the moment, the best take-home IPA in Korea is definitely Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale or Hitachino's Classic Ale. They're not everywhere *yet* but it most likely will be very soon. The Classic Ale in particular is just stupid...*stupid* good.

Via Homeplus, the best bet is still Indica. The Homeplus at World Cup Stadium is carrying a "Double" IPA which is Tesco-branded, but brewed by Brew Dog in Scotland. It's honestly quite disappointing; unless you're doing a tasting, I'd avoid it.

Also, thanks for the Magpie compliments!

If I may toot our horn for a moment--we will have growlers within the next week or so!!! Two-liter take home bottles. That said, no, it doesn't fix the problem that you actually have to come to our shop, but it's easier than taking a keg home Smile
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdog2050 wrote:
Yeah; style-wise it's actually an amber. So, if you think of it as an amber, it's quite good.

At the moment, the best take-home IPA in Korea is definitely Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale or Hitachino's Classic Ale. They're not everywhere *yet* but it most likely will be very soon. The Classic Ale in particular is just stupid...*stupid* good.

Via Homeplus, the best bet is still Indica. The Homeplus at World Cup Stadium is carrying a "Double" IPA which is Tesco-branded, but brewed by Brew Dog in Scotland. It's honestly quite disappointing; unless you're doing a tasting, I'd avoid it.

Also, thanks for the Magpie compliments!

If I may toot our horn for a moment--we will have growlers within the next week or so!!! Two-liter take home bottles. That said, no, it doesn't fix the problem that you actually have to come to our shop, but it's easier than taking a keg home :)

Agreed, it is more of an amber.

I'm quite a fan of the Anderson Valley IPA, but it's priced outside what I'm willing to pay. Would rather go to Magpie : p
furtakk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the above. For the price and in comparison to other offerings (both local and imported), 7brau is a great deal for what it is. I just wish emart stocked it as well as the closest HomePlus is really out of the way.

jdog, is Magpie selling import bottles yet?
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanseurVertical wrote:
atwood wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:

Because the comparably priced foreign beers are all boring fizzy yellow lagers. It's like you're comparing a totally decent pale ale to Heineken or Sapporo? If you want an imported pale ale, the cheapest will be approaching 5,000 / bottle. And in a meaningful sense, 7br�u is pretty much imported, because as far as I know, none of its ingredients is Korean.

I guess I'm just not down with the pale ale trend.

As for being imported in "a meaningful sense," 7brau doesn't have to pay the tariffs on imported alcohol.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 7brau is more of a UK style IPA, instead of the super hoppy IPAs that are popular these days. It has a nice toffee taste but if you're a hophead look elsewhere.
The Indica is nice, as is the Anderson Valley ESB. I find other Anderson Valley brews to be a bit hit or miss though. The Tesco Finest Double IPA is all right. It's not as good as the Brewdog Punk IPA, which in turn isn't as good as the Brewdog 5am Saint (sadly both unavailable here). The Tesco Finest Porter is well worth trying. It's made by the Harvieston Brewery in Scotland and leaves the Magpie Porter in the dust. The Magpie pale ale is decent enough but for me it lacks any kind of punch. Good for session drinking though. I thought the Craftworks IPA was a total miss. I enjoyed one Hitachino but was disappointed by another of their beers. I can't remember which ones though. I also enjoyed the Ballast Point Big Eye IPA and the Green Flash West Coast IPA (both not available here) but I was pretty drunk by that point. I tried the Brooklyn lager (not IPA) and was seriously disappointed. I look forward to trying the IPA. I thought Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA was shit.
From the UK the Williams Brothers Joker IPA was a good halfway house between UK style and the newer hoppy IPAs, and the Williams Brothers Impale IPA and Thornbridge Jaiper IPA are both excellent. Sadly none of these are available here.
An ale worth seeking out in Homeplus is Cooper's Sparkling Ale. It has sediment in the bottle so don't panic when you see things swirling around in your glass. It's more of an amber ale.

A couple of years ago I would never have dreamed about being able to post something like this about the beers available in Korea. I hope this trend continues to grow and doesn't fade as soon as the hipsters move onto something else.

Here's an interesting link to a bbc article of US Craft Brewers:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21541887
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I checked E-Mart and it's a no go. Just in case anyone was wondering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: