Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At what point would you decide to leave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
missty wrote:
It would be really hard for me to make the decision to leave, especially as I'd be leaving behind my boyfriend of two years. Saying that, if the British embassy packed up and left and if they advised that we leave, then I would be inclined to take their advice.

yeah, i can see how that conversation would pan out later...

"hi, im back!"
"?"
"lets pick up where we left off!"
"but you left me here to die"
"yes, but im back now because my embassy advised me its safe!"
"?"

Well, he actually told me that he wants me to leave if it becomes too dangerous. He obviously doesn't want me living in a warzone. He said he'd stay to be with his family and I'd go until it became safe again. Personally though I couldn't imagine anything worse than going and worrying about him every day. Which is why I said 'inclined' and was not certain. Maybe I'd stay, maybe I'd go. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show some frickin sand people. Until the bombs start falling and the Nork robo-troopers come pouring through, stay cool.

Unless you live on an island with the word (disputed) in parenthesis under it, or maybe Paju or something, even then not really, but there at least is the chance of some artillery or whatnot. If you're in Gwangju or Busan and thinking about running, don't be an idiot.
T-J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Show some frickin sand people. Until the bombs start falling and the Nork robo-troopers come pouring through, stay cool.

Unless you live on an island with the word (disputed) in parenthesis under it, or maybe Paju or something, even then not really, but there at least is the chance of some artillery or whatnot. If you're in Gwangju or Busan and thinking about running, don't be an idiot.

You can talk about how unlikely things are to degenerate here all you want, but deriding people's choice when it comes to their personal decisions about how much risk they are comfortable with is juvenile.

Stick to your books and numbers, it's what your good at. Bravado doesn't fit you well.
cabeza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Americans at Gwangju Highschools have left in the past 3 days according to a Korean teacher I know.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Some teachers leave for other reasons, maybe the schools suck, or maybe they didn't want to be here for other reasons.
cabeza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
^^Some teachers leave for other reasons, maybe the schools suck, or maybe they didn't want to be here for other reasons.

Granted. But she was saying this during a conversation about NK and teacher's reactions to it. I also heard second hand from the Canadian co-ordinator in that area.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
n

You can talk about how unlikely things are to degenerate here all you want, but deriding people's choice when it comes to their personal decisions about how much risk they are comfortable with is juvenile.

Stick to your books and numbers, it's what your good at. Bravado doesn't fit you well.

Sorry, but it's fair game like fan death. If you're in Gwangju and you're freaking out and about to move back when nothing has even happened yet, then yeah, chill out.

Look, if someone's leaving because they live in Paju or Yeongpyeong, I wouldn't judge or comment. If someone is leaving because the exchange rate is going down the crapper, fine. If someone is leaving because they are a Korean from overseas and might get thrown back in the army, fine.

This isn't bravado. If I rounds start falling around me I'm probably going to cry like a little girl or run scared. But it hasn't gotten to the point or even close to it.

And anyways it may even be riskier for their health if they flee.

An article on Slate talked about Fukushima and refugees and while yes, there was a mild increase in the risk of cancer with long-term exposure, plenty of people who fled the area are suffering with problems more likely to kill them- poverty, alcoholism, going back to smoking, stress, bad family environment, weight gain, etc.

Uprooting your life suddenly or splitting up your family and potentially suffering a significant loss of income could be far more dangerous to your life-expectancy than sticking it out.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/04/fukushima_evacuation_some_people_are_safer_in_a_fallout_zone_than_as_refugees.html

The bottom line is that there is nothing motivating these people except irrational fear. My advice would be to stick around and confront that irrational fear. It would probably do them wonders.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
fermentation wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

I say stay. It could be the adventure of a lifetime, one that 30 years from now, you'll wish you had ridden it out.

Plus, I think there would benefits to the bravery required to stay and see it through. There's a reason many people who live through war find themselves at a whole new level than before.

lol. I'll be sure to remind my grandmothers how lucky they are to have experienced two wars.

I know the stupidity of it, but there's a certain truth about it.

At the end of the day, I don't think I could pass up on the chance to live through history.

yes, actually. that is an incredibly stupid (as well as ignorant) thing to say.
Do you think being in a war zone is just like reading one of your books or watching the history channel in your y-fronts scratching your balls?
You think its fun watching your mates (or family) getting killed? or being a fecking nervous wreck because every little noise sounds like its someone taking a shot at you?
I usually ignore your diatribe but this is going too far mate.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
fermentation wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

I say stay. It could be the adventure of a lifetime, one that 30 years from now, you'll wish you had ridden it out.

Plus, I think there would benefits to the bravery required to stay and see it through. There's a reason many people who live through war find themselves at a whole new level than before.

lol. I'll be sure to remind my grandmothers how lucky they are to have experienced two wars.

I know the stupidity of it, but there's a certain truth about it.

At the end of the day, I don't think I could pass up on the chance to live through history.

yes, actually. that is an incredibly stupid (as well as ignorant) thing to say.
Do you think being in a war zone is just like reading one of your books or watching the history channel in your y-fronts scratching your balls?
You think its fun watching your mates (or family) getting killed? or being a fecking nervous wreck because every little noise sounds like its someone taking a shot at you?

Well said. He is Mr Intrepid right now, but if anything did go down, I wonder how much he would enjoy it over the sound of his own crying and the smell of his urine-soaked pants?
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabeza wrote:
Two Americans at Gwangju Highschools have left in the past 3 days according to a Korean teacher I know.

A couple of teachers at my school were laughing about that yesterday too
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When would I leave? Depends. If war broke out and it looked very dangerous, as soon as I could pending the girlfriend and dog coming along.

If war broke out and it didn't look dangerous, say it was like Gulf War 1991 and NK was on the retreat, I don't think I would leave. It would be too interesting to be there if the DMZ became a thing of the past.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
Many are eagerly awaiting the moment where they can transition from food blogger to war correspondent. Cool

Most accurate post in the history of Daves!!
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disputing people's decision to leave in the face of recent events is just not cool. It is a highly personnal choice.

Would I have left under the current situation? No. I know some people who would have and that is their choice.

As for "living through history", sorry steel but that is one of the dumbest things you have said here! Laughing
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many teachers are being bombarded with calls and emails from home about getting out of Korea.
Maybe someone would like to predict a larger wave of runners, than usual, just after payday?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Everything you just said is true. None of it applies to the issue of whether or not you should be fleeing South Korea now, or whether or not you might choose to take the opportunity to live through one of the great events of the 21st century.

Quote:

When would I leave? Depends. If war broke out and it looked very dangerous, as soon as I could pending the girlfriend and dog coming along.

If war broke out and it didn't look dangerous, say it was like Gulf War 1991 and NK was on the retreat, I don't think I would leave. It would be too interesting to be there if the DMZ became a thing of the past.

Pretty much what I was trying to say. If war was actually truly on the verge of breaking out, I wouldn't mock anyone leaving and would suggest that many do leave. If I did stick around, depending on how it was going, that would affect what I did.

Quote:
Disputing people's decision to leave in the face of recent events is just not cool. It is a highly personnal choice.

Would I have left under the current situation? No. I know some people who would have and that is their choice.

No, right now it's Fan Death/US Beef/Swine Flu/Foreigner Criminals type fear-mongering. Baseless and brought about by a sensationalist media (Again, disclaimers for those that live on disputed islands or right at the border).

Quote:
As for "living through history", sorry steel but that is one of the dumbest things you have said here!

Meh, the poster above concurred. People with religious affiliations might agree too albeit in a different context.

In this case I feel it would be "history choosing me" rather than me choosing history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: