Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7br�u cans - where?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdog2050

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
I think 7brau is more of a UK style IPA, instead of the super hoppy IPAs that are popular these days. It has a nice toffee taste but if you're a hophead look elsewhere.
The Indica is nice, as is the Anderson Valley ESB. I find other Anderson Valley brews to be a bit hit or miss though. The Tesco Finest Double IPA is all right. It's not as good as the Brewdog Punk IPA, which in turn isn't as good as the Brewdog 5am Saint (sadly both unavailable here). The Tesco Finest Porter is well worth trying. It's made by the Harvieston Brewery in Scotland and leaves the Magpie Porter in the dust. The Magpie pale ale is decent enough but for me it lacks any kind of punch. Good for session drinking though. I thought the Craftworks IPA was a total miss. I enjoyed one Hitachino but was disappointed by another of their beers. I can't remember which ones though. I also enjoyed the Ballast Point Big Eye IPA and the Green Flash West Coast IPA (both not available here) but I was pretty drunk by that point. I tried the Brooklyn lager (not IPA) and was seriously disappointed. I look forward to trying the IPA. I thought Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA was shit.
From the UK the Williams Brothers Joker IPA was a good halfway house between UK style and the newer hoppy IPAs, and the Williams Brothers Impale IPA and Thornbridge Jaiper IPA are both excellent. Sadly none of these are available here.
An ale worth seeking out in Homeplus is Cooper's Sparkling Ale. It has sediment in the bottle so don't panic when you see things swirling around in your glass. It's more of an amber ale.

A couple of years ago I would never have dreamed about being able to post something like this about the beers available in Korea. I hope this trend continues to grow and doesn't fade as soon as the hipsters move onto something else.

Here's an interesting link to a bbc article of US Craft Brewers:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21541887

1. Appreciate the fair opinion on Magpie beers (I know this isn't a Magpie thread, just chiming in). To each his own; personally I think we nailed the porter...took us 3 tries, and I honestly did not like it on our first attempt. Now though, it's my baseline for what I compare everything else to. I feel the same about our Pale Ale. I have to say, I went to the States in September (to Chicago). I found myself actually craving my own darned beer. The downside to the craft movement in America right now is that so many places are just trying *too hard*. Sessionable beers are getting really hard to come by because everyone is trying to blow your mind. It gets tiring. Magpie can and will go really wacky eventually, we're just easing everyone into it Smile

2. Greenflash AND Ballast Point will both be here soon!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

3. Don't agree at all about the Cooper's sparkling. Really boring. Also, I have no idea about how you can dislike the Torpedo.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question about Magpie beers. Are they made by Ka-brew now? The reason I ask is I was drinking the pale ale this weekend and it tasted very similar to the Craftworks pale ale. I have a friend who owns a bar in Hongdae and he said that Ka-brew gave the Craftworks pale ale to him and told him to sell it under a different name.
Could it be Ka-brew is making one pale ale, distributing in to different places, and letting them sell it under different names?
jdog2050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
I've got a question about Magpie beers. Are they made by Ka-brew now? The reason I ask is I was drinking the pale ale this weekend and it tasted very similar to the Craftworks pale ale. I have a friend who owns a bar in Hongdae and he said that Ka-brew gave the Craftworks pale ale to him and told him to sell it under a different name.
Could it be Ka-brew is making one pale ale, distributing in to different places, and letting them sell it under different names?

In our case, no. Our beer has always been formulated by us, but brewed by Kabrew. It's misrepresented a lot, especially by the expat magazines that have covered us (oi vey): *we* make the recipes, *kabrew* scales them up and brews them. It's a form of contract brewing.

So, yeah, Magpie's beers are Magpie's. If you thought it tasted like Craftworks...I dunno; I haven't had their pale ale in a while, they could have simply changed the recipe...they have a former homebrewer working for them who is very competent.
salutbonjour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdog2050 wrote:
Seoulman69 wrote:
I think 7brau is more of a UK style IPA, instead of the super hoppy IPAs that are popular these days. It has a nice toffee taste but if you're a hophead look elsewhere.
The Indica is nice, as is the Anderson Valley ESB. I find other Anderson Valley brews to be a bit hit or miss though. The Tesco Finest Double IPA is all right. It's not as good as the Brewdog Punk IPA, which in turn isn't as good as the Brewdog 5am Saint (sadly both unavailable here). The Tesco Finest Porter is well worth trying. It's made by the Harvieston Brewery in Scotland and leaves the Magpie Porter in the dust. The Magpie pale ale is decent enough but for me it lacks any kind of punch. Good for session drinking though. I thought the Craftworks IPA was a total miss. I enjoyed one Hitachino but was disappointed by another of their beers. I can't remember which ones though. I also enjoyed the Ballast Point Big Eye IPA and the Green Flash West Coast IPA (both not available here) but I was pretty drunk by that point. I tried the Brooklyn lager (not IPA) and was seriously disappointed. I look forward to trying the IPA. I thought Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA was shit.
From the UK the Williams Brothers Joker IPA was a good halfway house between UK style and the newer hoppy IPAs, and the Williams Brothers Impale IPA and Thornbridge Jaiper IPA are both excellent. Sadly none of these are available here.
An ale worth seeking out in Homeplus is Cooper's Sparkling Ale. It has sediment in the bottle so don't panic when you see things swirling around in your glass. It's more of an amber ale.

A couple of years ago I would never have dreamed about being able to post something like this about the beers available in Korea. I hope this trend continues to grow and doesn't fade as soon as the hipsters move onto something else.

1. Appreciate the fair opinion on Magpie beers (I know this isn't a Magpie thread, just chiming in). To each his own; personally I think we nailed the porter...took us 3 tries, and I honestly did not like it on our first attempt. Now though, it's my baseline for what I compare everything else to. I feel the same about our Pale Ale. I have to say, I went to the States in September (to Chicago). I found myself actually craving my own darned beer. The downside to the craft movement in America right now is that so many places are just trying *too hard*. Sessionable beers are getting really hard to come by because everyone is trying to blow your mind. It gets tiring. Magpie can and will go really wacky eventually, we're just easing everyone into it Smile

2. Greenflash AND Ballast Point will both be here soon!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

3. Don't agree at all about the Cooper's sparkling. Really boring. Also, I have no idea about how you can dislike the Torpedo.

The IPA that people want is that over the top IPA. In winter I want that full-bodied IPA and in summer I want that refreshing IPA with extremely high BTU. The lack of this IPA is why I haven't been to Magpie yet. I'd go to have that American style IPA and would try a few of the others, but mainly for that IPA.

You can't cater to everyone that's for sure, but a lot of people would like that IPA.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salutbonjour wrote:
jdog2050 wrote:
Seoulman69 wrote:

The IPA that people want is that over the top IPA. In winter I want that full-bodied IPA and in summer I want that refreshing IPA with extremely high BTU. The lack of this IPA is why I haven't been to Magpie yet. I'd go to have that American style IPA and would try a few of the others, but mainly for that IPA.

You can't cater to everyone that's for sure, but a lot of people would like that IPA.

Haha, like I said, we're focused on easing people into it. Time and brewing capacity permitting, we will definitely have an IPA eventually. But it won't be what you expect Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: