Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Microbreweries in Seoul?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figshdg wrote:
bangbayed wrote:
Agreed that Reilly's is probably the best bar in Korea, but I think they've become a victim of their own success.

Best beer? Almost certainly. Best bar? Not by a million miles. The problem isn't the success of the place, it's that it has an owner who clearly has little experience of managing a bar. If he had, the service wouldn't be so dreadful. Watch him when you next go in. He's chummying up with the staff and his friends at the bar all the time without paying attention to the service being delivered.

I guarantee that if a place opened in the same area with a similar beer list and better service that Reilly's would close within the week. It's a shame because that place could be great.

Interesting, because I believe that the owners/partners are also Rocky Mountain/Wolfhound owners/managers. Those places seem to have fairly steady service and have been around long enough for these guys to figure out what they're doing.
furtakk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Reiley's a couple of times. I went soon after opening when it still wasn't that busy and the service was quite bad. I chalked it up to being a new place and figured they would work out the kinks as time went on. The service isn't horrible by any means, but on a recent trip I got pretty fed up. They had like 3 or 4 bartenders hanging out behind the bar and only one waitress checking on tables. It was still early in the evening when people were there to eat. It took forever to finally get our order in. They also were blasting shitty 90s rock at 7PM, which didn't seem fitting. I'm pretty excited about the idea of a rooftop though. And all complaints aside, they have an awesome selection of beer and pretty decent food.

I like Craftworks, but it's too busy to frequent regularly. I haven't been in awhile, but every time I have been, it takes at least 30~ minutes to get a seat. I can only imagine it's worse now that it's blown up on the Korean blogosphere. It's great for them, but I wish they had a bigger location.

Magpie has fantastic beer. Haven't checked out the food in the new basement bar yet though.

That pizza place down the street also has a great pale ale on tap, although I wouldn't really call it a microbrewery.

Queen's Head doesn't have the best beer, but it's not overly expensive and the atmosphere is great. It's a nice place to have a real chat without being drowned out by other people/music.
figshdg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:

Interesting, because I believe that the owners/partners are also Rocky Mountain/Wolfhound owners/managers. Those places seem to have fairly steady service and have been around long enough for these guys to figure out what they're doing.

Perhaps it's just the guy running it on a day-to-day basis who is incompetent?
Murakano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a new place opened up next to Magpie called The Booth

https://www.facebook.com/theboothpub?fref=ts
jmadtownweb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Craftworks over the weekend. Excellent beer, food and the staff was friendly. But what's with those samplers? Beer in shot glasses? Korea for you.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a new place near Itaewon fire station called Cargo. They don't make their own beer but they do have a good selection and my personal favourite Punk IPA.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to The Booth yesterday with my woman. Didn't fancy any pizza (although it looked really good) but we each had a pale ale. It was good. Strong and hoppy. Not unlike Indica. Good value at 5,000won.
They also had a wheat beer and Anderson Valley Outmeal Stout on tap. Not a microbrewery but well worth a visit. They have a place in Gangnam too.

A fun beer run in Itaewon could be The Booth (have some pizza), Magpie, Craftworks, Springs, Reilly's, Cargo.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
I went to The Booth yesterday with my woman. Didn't fancy any pizza (although it looked really good) but we each had a pale ale.

A fun beer run in Itaewon could be The Booth (have some pizza), Magpie, Craftworks, Springs, Reilly's, Cargo.

If anyone gets over to do a visa run short trip to Tokyo, check out Devil Works pizza and craft beer in Kanada. Chicago style, deep dish. Amazing!

Devil Works
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: