Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China’s government hires people to distort web discussions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: China’s government hires people to distort web discussions Reply with quote

http://chinadailymail.com/2012/11/23/chinas-government-hires-people-to-distort-web-conversations/
RangerMcGreggor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is old news. It's called astroturfing and it is becoming a common practice everywhere
Julius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerMcGreggor wrote:
This is old news. It's called astroturfing and it is becoming a common practice everywhere

*cough* PatrickBusan.
Mix1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:

*cough* PatrickBusan.

I'm sure they're not, but you almost have to wonder if some of these guys get paid per post.
They appear like clockwork every time someone says something about Korea they don't like. Laughing

Prime directives:

- "Even Steven" : Give an example of something similar happening in another country (Also known as "Hey, look over there!")

- "Pants on fire" : Accuse another of lying, directly or indirectly by casting doubt on the story or suggesting exaggeration, even if you weren't there at the time or haven't been in the country in years.

- "One in a million" : Claim "That's never happened to me!" or "I've never seen that!" to suggest that the given events are rare or non-existent, even if they aren't.

- "Same/Same" : Minimize any differences by claiming all people are exactly the same and do all the same things to the same degree. Similar to "Even Steven" but with an emphasis on sameness.

- "Race Card" : A criticism that has nothing to do with race can still be labelled as "racist", thereby putting the critic on the defensive and discounting his claims at the same time.

- "Red red whine" : When the criticism cannot be denied or disproved, simply suggest that the critic is whining or overly sensitive.

- "Head in sand" : Claim the given behaviors may happen, but must not be significant because "I don't really notice it" or even "I don't really care about it."

- "Language police" : If a statement doesn't contain sufficient qualifiers, jump on it immediately. Even if the statement is generally correct, you can claim it's totally false and derail the thread into a grammar lesson. Even if there are qualifiers in the language, re-frame it to sound like an absolute statement.

- "Hyperlink!" : Demand that any random statement must be "proven" with an internet link. When there is no link provided, suggest the statement must be false, even if it was only meant to be an opinion in the first place. Bonus points for throwing in random vocab from debate class.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
Julius wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:

*cough* PatrickBusan.

I'm sure they're not, but you almost have to wonder if some of these guys get paid per post.
They appear like clockwork every time someone says something about Korea they don't like. Laughing

Prime directives:

- "Even Steven" : Give an example of something similar happening in another country (Also known as "Hey, look over there!")

- "Pants on fire" : Accuse another of lying, directly or indirectly by casting doubt on the story or suggesting exaggeration, even if you weren't there at the time or haven't been in the country in years.

- "One in a million" : Claim "That's never happened to me!" or "I've never seen that!" to suggest that the given events are rare or non-existent, even if they aren't.

- "Same/Same" : Minimize any differences by claiming all people are exactly the same and do all the same things to the same degree. Similar to "Even Steven" but with an emphasis on sameness.

- "Race Card" : A criticism that has nothing to do with race can still be labelled as "racist", thereby putting the critic on the defensive and discounting his claims at the same time.

- "Red red whine" : When the criticism cannot be denied or disproved, simply suggest that the critic is whining or overly sensitive.

- "Head in sand" : Claim the given behaviors may happen, but must not be significant because "I don't really notice it" or even "I don't really care about it."

- "Language police" : If a statement doesn't contain sufficient qualifiers, jump on it immediately. Even if the statement is generally correct, you can claim it's totally false and derail the thread into a grammar lesson. Even if there are qualifiers in the language, re-frame it to sound like an absolute statement.

- "Hyperlink!" : Demand that any random statement must be "proven" with an internet link. When there is no link provided, suggest the statement must be false, even if it was only meant to be an opinion in the first place. Bonus points for throwing in random vocab from debate class.

+1 million.

"I don't like it when Korans spit"

"I have never, in my 205343 years of living in Korea seen a Korean spit! People spit in your home country (even though I don't know your home country, nor have I been there)! Have you ever been to the slums of India? They have more spitting more capita than the elite all girls high school down the road here in Korea, therefore Koreans are the most civilized race in the world. I demand you provide 5 separate links to prove your outlandish claim, 2 of which must be from Korea itself, one of which must be written in Swahili and none of which may contain the world "is". Spitting was invented by white people, and we all know white people are the most disgusting people in the world! Suggesting that any Korean once spit on the street in their lifetime is the most racist thing I have ever encountered and it is disgusting that this board is full of severe racists! Of course you're not Korean, so you don't have the mental facilities to understand racism. I am the only foreigner to ever understand Koreans, and therefore that makes me a better human being! Since I have never seen a Korean spit, not only does it never ever happen, but you are a pathetic cry baby for making a post about it. I am a very busy person who has hundreds...no THOUSANDS of Korean friends and that's why I have the hours it takes to go over this forum with a fine toothed comb to combat each and every conceivable slight against this great nation with endless paragraphs and wars of attrition until you simply give up (i.e. lose and prove Korea is superior to your home country in every way)! Besides, your cry baby racist exaggerated post didn't include a conditional qualifier thus proving that you are of such low intelligence as to threaten the well being of your poor little princes and princesses of students. As we know, every Korean was hand made perfectly by God himself, therefore they must have been scammed in some way to allow such a terrible, racist, half-mentally handicapped child such as yourself into this heaven on Earth of a country. How can you live with yourself after doing that to one of God's own people? You disgust me. I'm getting so sick of all these complainers who only complain here and judge other people! God, I'm such a good little foreigner.

/scene
fezmond

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:

*cough* PatrickBusan.

PatrickghKoharski?
maximmm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
Julius wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:

*cough* PatrickBusan.

Prime directives:

Good list. I think there must be a school of some sort where apologists learn the art of denying/distorting reality.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more than anyone realizes. How about those "sponsored" bloggers who also post on every website and blog?
thebearofbundang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be there are way more people who hate everything about Korea on Dave's, but for some reason still decide to live here than there are people who post positive things about the country.. Just look at the post titles. Likely 80% are negative.

I think most people who enjoy living in Korea stay away from Dave's because most people are so negative and have entitlement issues on here.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:

Could some of our posters be saboteurs? Laughing Laughing
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebearofbundang wrote:
Seems to be there are way more people who hate everything about Korea on Dave's, but for some reason still decide to live here than there are people who post positive things about the country.. Just look at the post titles. Likely 80% are negative.

I think most people who enjoy living in Korea stay away from Dave's because most people are so negative and have entitlement issues on here.

The negativity that chases people away comes from the apologists who feel some need to destroy anyone who tries to be helpful in any way towards newbies. Post something with helpful info. The last people who will bother to help are the apologists. helping someone, to them, is an admission that living in Korea is anything other than ideal. The apologists also quash any real discussion about problems with everyday life in Korea. Even Koreans will tell you there are problems, but apologists refuse to admit it.
They also can't stand anyone posting relevant info for those who have problems while working in the ESL industry. You do know that there are problems in the ESL industry in Korea, right? Or is that too negative for you?
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebearofbundang wrote:

Really? A quick look over on the General Discussions board has perhaps three thread titles that could be considered negative on the first page:

"In general, do you regret coming here"
"The good, the bad and the limitations...about Korea"
"More anti n.america digging?"

Actually, the first two could be counted as positive just as much as they could be counted as negative, and I haven't opened the third one but I suppose it could be viewed as 'negative'.

So, that's three post titles with vaguely possible negative connotations out of 40. Even if we considered those three definitely negative, that's less than 7%.

What I think is more likely the case, some people can only be 'positive' by judging others to be negative, and thus deeming everything everyone else says as unjustly negative. It's quite ironic, actually. People who go around claiming everyone else is being negative while they are so happy go lucky positive must be the ones who see everything so negatively since they see 90% negative titles where there actually only exists 7% max. I think this explains the apologist position precisely. If you think Korea is such a heaven on Earth with no flaws, then why are you spending so much time on the internet trying to convince others of that fact?

And as much as the apologists on this site try to insist, and they know who they are; no, not thinking Korea is the best in everything and perfect in every way doesn't make you a 'hater'. You can hate people spitting on the street or budding in line or even the weather without hating the whole country. Just ask people in every single other country on Earth who complain every single day about the same mundane things there. Too many foreigners have bought into this Korean idea that any un-god-like positive comment of this country is heresy against the land. Seriously, I don't know any other country like this, including the expat community.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:

And as much as the apologists on this site try to insist, and they know who they are; no, not thinking Korea is the best in everything and perfect in every way doesn't make you a 'hater'. You can hate people spitting on the street or budding in line or even the weather without hating the whole country. Just ask people in every single other country on Earth who complain every single day about the same mundane things there.

I fully agree with this.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So China is catching on to what America has been doing for years.

Big surprise there. Rolling Eyes

Think back to the lead up to the Iraq war

posters like Gopher, Joo Rip Gwa Rhee come to mind.

Britain has her share of winners as well.

Think of the MI6 (or is it MI5?) agent who was secretly re- editing

controversial entries in Wikipedia. Whoo hooo!

Last edited by some waygug-in on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Julius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
There's more than anyone realizes. How about those "sponsored" bloggers who also post on every website and blog?

The biggest frustration is being decieved into buying expensive products that clearly don't match up to their rave reviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: