Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking western food in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my new favorite things to make: pickled eggs!

I brought a jar of pickled beetroot back from the UK last week, and added a few to get that pretty pink color, but even without, they're a great way to have an egg a day without having to cook for breakfast. One of those, a mug of tea, and a few mandarin oranges and it's a nice, light meal.
duke of new york

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeplus in Jamsil has hot dog buns. I have also seen Johnsonville (not great but better than nothing) bratwursts and Italian sausage there, although not on a regular basis. They just spring up every now and then.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foreign food market in Itaewon (the main one) has cottage cheese.

I have also been informed that the E-mart at Yongsan station has it, but I'll have to check that out.
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
About a week ago, I roasted some halved cherry tomatoes in my oven. I didn't add any oil or spices, because, after they were finished, I put the roasted tomatoes and some basil leaves in some olive oil. I let them infuse for about 4 or 5 days, then made some whole-wheat spaghetti, added pesto, and the roasted tomatoes. I served it with a poached egg on top. Nomnomnom

Now, I have the olive oil and basil leaves left over, so am going to brush it over some whole-wheat pizza dough with some sliced tomatoes and bake it this weekend.

That sounds amazing. Where did you get fresh basil? I'd try growing it but the last time I tried it died. Sad
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just get it from Itaewon or my friend, who grows it. Mine died too. I just don't have the space for a garden, like back home. Ah well.

One of my friends makes cheeses, and has recently started making feta (he already made brie, blue, a hybrid of the two, fresh mozzarella, and a ricotta-style cheese) which I used to make whole-wheat English muffin pizzas today.

Tomorrow, I'm pickling beets and hard boiled eggs.
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I usually just get it from Itaewon or my friend, who grows it. Mine died too. I just don't have the space for a garden, like back home. Ah well.

That's awesome. Do you know where your friend gets the seeds? I think I might try growing it again.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just letting everybody know since I read the food thread and didn't see a mention of it, there's a Dean & Deluca's in the basement of the Shinsegae department store in Seocho/Gangnam (Express Bus Terminal station). You can find TONS of things there that you can't find at most other places in Seoul. I saw goat cheese, steel cut oats, sage, and real vanilla extract, among other things. A bit on the expensive side compared to the way some just-out-of-college expats live, but pretty standard if you're used to the cost of living in New York or London or other big cities.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke of new york wrote:
Homeplus in Jamsil has hot dog buns. I have also seen Johnsonville (not great but better than nothing) bratwursts and Italian sausage there, although not on a regular basis. They just spring up every now and then.

I've seen the Johnsonville brats at Costco. I've seen sauerkraut at Foreign Food Mart in Itaewon.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Charms cereal has been spotted at Costco.
zpeanut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really been dreaming about puff pastry these days. I just got myself an oven last week and have been in a baking frenzy since.. but what I really would love is puff pastry ^^ ..

Anyone know where?
sallyg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@zpeanut Rough puff pastry is easy to make, and a good substitute for the more tricky puff pastry
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2403/roughpuff-pastry-
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I got a major craving for pies recently, and decided to try and whip a couple up at my school (there's a kitchen).

My question, I've never been a pro at making pastry, generally springing for frozen pie shells.

Has anyone seen frozen pie shells in Korea? (I live in Incheon)

If I can't track them down I'll just jury-rig something with cracker crumbs and butter Razz
kingkong9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone please suggest me a store which sells canned curry pastes? I am talking about the ones where you can get from Canada, USA, UK and India...

Should I try Itaewon?

I brought couple cans over, LOL, but I'm running low!

Laughing
daeguowl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkong9 wrote:
Could anyone please suggest me a store which sells canned curry pastes? I am talking about the ones where you can get from Canada, USA, UK and India...

Should I try Itaewon?

I brought couple cans over, LOL, but I'm running low!

Laughing

Homeplus sells various curry pastes in sachets...
Lynns

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large tub of plain (unsweetened) yogurt now available at Yongsan IPark Mall E-Mart. It is a bit on the mild side (not very tangy) but not sweet. It's by Maeil brand. At first I thought it was the large Denmark sour cream, looks very similar but the label is white. Costs a little under 5000 won for 900 g.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: