Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just wanted to put the word out that I'll be placing my bike on the market soon.

2002, 750cc Honda Shadow ACE (American Classic Edition)
All black, black leather saddlebags, windshield, red/blue wigwags, 80,000 km,
blue neon lights under tank (cool as all get out in the evening rides),
tip top engine, frame, body...Rear tire is at 60% though.

I'll also toss in an extra battery and charger.

For serious inquiries, feel free to pm me~

Heavy motorcycle endorsement on license is required by law to ride, but not to purchase and change of title.

I'm in the Daegu area.

Have a good one~!
Charlie Bourque

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm moving to Daejeon and I'm looking at get a GT250R when I get there. Could anyone recommend a good place to get one? Also, could you tell me if I'll have a hard time driving around Daejeon and Chungbuk-do? I've read that highways don't allow motorcycles.

Is there a map that shows allowable roads for motorcycles?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daejeun is ChungNam, but never mind. I've ridden around Korea and ChungNam isn't remembered for riding pleasures. ChungBuk is mountainous and is a lot of fun. Best to get a GPS navigation than a map. 'Cars only roads' pop up all the time, so a map is rather useless on that front. However, if you are a wanderer then there are maps size of a phone book that covers the whole country. Damned monsoon is lasting forever!
nero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just a quick question..
I have a Hyosung 250 cruiser and I love it. I've been riding it around for a couple of years now.
I don't have a Korean license, however. It seems there are certain areas that are getting stricter about this (and good on them - I'm at fault here) What could potentially happen to me for driving without a Korean motorbike license?

Many apologies if this has been posted before, I had a quick trawl through the thread but I'm not going to read 100's of posts! Very Happy
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be:
1. told to get a licence, but if you don't then
2. fined and if you don't pay then
3. put through a shaming session, standing in front of the police station holding up placard of your misdeeds, passing by people can say pretty nasty things about you.
asian sensation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: bike shop dishonesty Reply with quote

I just want to write why I will never go to "the mechanic" again. I had a problem where my bike wouldn't run because fuel wasn't getting to the engine. I had "the mechanic" pick it up and take it to their shop. The guy told me my carburetor needed to be cleaned. I said okay to the 250,000 charge. I pick it up then next day, mind you he called me at 4pm and told me if I didn't get it by 8 p.m. they will charge me 10,000 krw overnight fee. So, I go there to get my bike, pay and drive to towards Itaewon and my bike stalls with the same problem. I roll back down the hill and tell him to take care of it. So they "found" the problem. Now it's some carb. switch. I go to pick it up, after they charge me another 75,000 krw ( I know I should have argued about paying it, but couldn't be asked at the time) and again it doesn't work. So I flip out, and then I was told it will be fixed for free (no additional charge on top of the 325,000 krw). As they took their sweet time getting it fixed (over a week), it turned out my tank was full of rust. they cleaned it out and it worked. But, they knocked off the sync of my carburetor. At the time, I had no idea about this, but my bike was misfiring. The mechanic told me, it's the custom muffler on the bike. Mind you this has been on the thing for years, never causing a problem. So I find out it was from them fiddling with it. I will pay somebody else to do it and not go back. One last thing, he always tries to tell me battery needs to be replaced. I never have a problem getting the bike started, even if i don't use it weeks at a time. Just giving everyone a heads up about another dishonest mechanic and you can decide who you want to give your money to.
no_tofu_speed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to let you guys know.
I recently bought a bike and I need to sell it because I'm now in between jobs.
Its a late 2012 Hyosung/S&T Comet GT125R. All black.
Mileage 2450km. Only ridden it a few times.
Only tuning is a muffler, and body is in near perfect condition.
Still has 1.5 years warranty left. And currently registered in my name.
I searched for a long time on Korean websites to find this bike in this condition.
Price is 2.7 million firm.

Great bike to own because once it is registered as a 125cc, you can drop 250cc straight in the chassis, and as it's still on papers as a 125cc, you still can do without a full motorcycle licence and just use a regular drivers licence. This is a common Korean trick with this specific model.

Contact me if interested. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I do need to sell it soonish.

Last edited by no_tofu_speed on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bollocks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came into a Hyosung Mirage 125, and it's making my miss my old Hyosung Mirage 250.

Assuming I register this bike, what legal repercussions might I face for having a Korean mechanic swap out the 125cc engine for a 250cc engine?

Second question: Is this even possible? It [i]feels[/s] like my old bike. but that doesn't mean the engine spaces are the same size.

Thirdly: What's Korean for, "This engine is small. Pretend it is broken. The Engine must be replaced. But not 125cc engine. Instead, give 250cc engine. How much?"

Google translate says, "이 엔진은 작습니다. 그것이 깨진 척.엔진을 교체해야합니다. 하지만 125CC 엔진. 대신, 250CC 엔진을 제공합니다. 얼마나?"

This seems accurate to my (really) terrible Korean. Aside from schizophrenic changes of politeness, how accurate is the translation? Could I take it to a bike shop and get a new engine put in?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the engine change going? Smile

According to my motorcyclebang guy, with most cases, going up-engine is impossible. It is possible to do with Hyosung Comet series. However, it is mostly illegal with registeration and insurance and what not. So it is a headache job. Unless the mechanic is a very good friend with you, they are unlikely to do it. Cool
seoulstyle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle License Reply with quote

If you obtain your motorcycle license in Korea, can you swap it out for an Ontario (Canadian) license? I think that the regular car license works on some sort of reciprocal agreement.
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle License Reply with quote

seoulstyle wrote:
If you obtain your motorcycle license in Korea, can you swap it out for an Ontario (Canadian) license? I think that the regular car license works on some sort of reciprocal agreement.

While in Korea, see if you can get an international license that 'translates' all that is on your license including it's endorsements. Otherwise, you're
likely S.O.L. Only reason I know is because I'm back home (States) and
just today I asked the Bureau of Motor Vehicles the exact same question
today. So....yes, I'm S.O.L. and back to looking at getting a learner's
permit and working my way up to heavy bike endorsement. Again~
Botasky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying a bike in Busan this weekend. I'm going to drive it home to Samcheonpo. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good route. The Korean road system for what roads/bridges/tunnels bikes can go on is a mystery to me.

Has anyone driven from Busan to Samcheonpo, or the Namhae Island area? What way did you go?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel on National 2 Mokpo-Busan sometimes and it isn't easy. I'd say go to Busan, buy your bike and have it delivered to your home.
johnnysaber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Dangerous! Reply with quote

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to have a bike in KOREA! The traffic is crazy here! Plus you can't even ride on the highways. I have a Hayabusa back home and was thinking about shipping out here but after 4 accidents I witnessed here my first month, I was like, nope. Anywho, if you do decide to ride, be safe. Or you can get a BMX and ride like this girl...lol http://goo.gl/DyG3lV
Udo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a U.S. spec Honda NHX 110 & ride it all the time in Seoul. Fuel injected & liquid cooled it is surprisingly quick but tops out at about 50mph. I love it. The Daelim 250 is a superior scoot if you want to spend more and have a passenger. Good used daelims are easy to find in Seoul. If you want to buy from a waygook you can find ads at stripes.com from departing usfk people.
It is a cheap way to get around, but in my opinion you should buy a good helmet. Your choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 179 of 181

Jump to: