Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice. Experienced posters willing to help via PM.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice please! Reply with quote

Kellu wrote:
Hello,

I need a lot of advice! I would prefer to PM, but I just started posting on here and I'm not sure how to run up 25 posts in a hurry. Please PM me- I need advice regarding:

i) re-applying for a visa after being denied for a DISmissed! DUI charge that was on my CBC, that I plan to have expunged.
Unless you have an extensive track record (years of experience) in Korea it isn't going to happen.

ii)I also would like to hear advice about teaching privates.
Unless you are on an F2/4/5/6 visa AND registered at the local education office they are illegal.

iii) and how to live on a different type of visa other than an E-2 provided by a school.

Pick a number. The visa class varies with the job and unless you hold a masters degree, PhD, some very specialized skills with years of experience or marry a Korean it isn't going to happen.

Thank you very much to all who reach out to me!
lacka1dm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Advice welcome! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

My name is Danielle and I'm fairly new at this forum, so please bear with me. I plan on teaching English in Korea this coming May. I have worked as an English tutor for Koreans for the past two years via Internet phone, but I am guessing this isn't the same as working and living in the country Wink

Whatever advice anyone is willing to give me, I'd appreciate every bit of it. I have questions like:

Which is better, a hawgon or public school?
I want to live in Busan, as it isn't quite as big as Seoul and is beautiful, what with it's beaches and naturaleza; is this a good spot to go?
What kinds of job solicitations should I avoid?
Are there any scams out there?
I have a Bachelors of Science with a minor in teaching ESL--where can I work that will acknowledge this accomplishment?

I have many more questions, so feel free to respond with any tip you may have. Thanks!

Live, love, learn
lacka1dm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Advice welcome! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

My name is Danielle and I'm fairly new at this forum, so please bear with me. Also, I have to post 25 times in order to PM anyone, so I may just keep re-posting this message.

I plan on teaching English in Korea this coming May. I have worked as an English tutor for Koreans for the past two years via Internet phone, but I am guessing this isn't the same as working and living in the country Wink

Whatever advice anyone is willing to give me, I'd appreciate every bit of it. I have questions like:

Which is better, a hawgon or public school?
I want to live in Busan, as it isn't quite as big as Seoul and is beautiful, what with it's beaches and naturaleza; is this a good spot to go?
What kinds of job solicitations should I avoid?
Are there any scams out there?
Immigration?
I have a Bachelors of Science with a minor in teaching ESL--where can I work that will acknowledge this accomplishment?

I have many more questions, so feel free to respond with any tip you may have. Thanks!

Live, love, learn
bcity

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aieshaapple wrote:
Im not a pro at this but i do know a few things. If you stated on your visa form you have diabetes you very well could be denied your visa. However if you don't say you have it viola you have a visa.

Did you already get your NOA? If so you don't reallynees your recruiter from there. You could always teller you were confused and realized you don't have diabetes. If you can manage you diabetes pretty well then I don't se a problem with anything. Although they do do extensive medical checks on us once we get there. So there is a risk there. Hope that was some help.

What is your definition of an "extensive medical check".?
mbh0189

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks.

My name is Matthew and I've just started taking my class and plan on heading to Korea. I wanted to start getting my papers in oder beginning with the FBI background check.

I printed the papers out for the form, but when I went to the sheriff's department, they said they needed a number on the form before it could be processed. They reasoned that the employer might need it to be done differently then in other circumstances.

So do I need a job offer before I can get the background check done or can I just get fingerprinted and have it sent off?

Any help is appreciated and sorry I didn't PM anyone, but I didn't have any posts to my name.

Thanks!
Botasky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in touch with 3 recruiters for public school jobs. I have one or two questions:

Is this a really bad time to be applying? - will the only positions they offer me now be the ones they're finding hard to fill or is it a good time?

Should I only apply through one recruiter to avoid double submission to the board of education?

I wanted to go to the south and preferably a coastal area but they have all offered Chungnam. Is Chungnam a good province? Should I put in my application forms with the board of education there and hope for the best?

Causing me a lot of anxiety at the moment. I'm willing to go wherever they place me but I'm nervous that there are pitfalls that I can't see coming due to inexperience.

Any help appreciated
JJA7246

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am a recent college graduate with degrees in English and communication. I plan on becoming an English teacher in the US, but I'm not ready to "settle down," I suppose, so I am planning on teaching in South Korea for a while. I am looking to leave in early 2014 and have been looking into this process for a few months now.

At first, the process to become a teacher seemed fairly straightforward, but the more I read the more I am becoming overwhelmed regarding how to choose a job, the exact steps that I should be taking, etc. I have begun collecting my documents, so I'll need to find a job soon, so I would love it if someone would be willing to message me and help me out. I don't believe I need much help, just some general guidance. Some examples of my questions:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: