Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original diploma or notarized copy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spirit2110

Location: I am with Dan Druff. Nice guy, you should meet him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norith wrote:
About the 'rules changing.' I recently went to the Korean Consulate in Atlanta, Georgia and they will NOT certify degrees anymore. From what I was able to gather, as of July '07, Korea has finally agreed to the terms of the Hague Conference, which created an international standard for notarizing documents. You have to go to a superior court clerk and have an apostille attached to your degree (which means it has to be notarized first....though depending on which Superior Court Clerk you go to, they might require that you use their notary form). It's an easy process and most countries accepted the Hague conventions a long time ago....though my degree could certainly have been a fake, since neither the notary public nor the court clerk looked at my actual degree to confirm that the copy was an accurate copy (which of course it was/is...I'm just upset at having lugged it around to 3 different locations for no reason).

I later received word that the immigration office that my school applied to would only accept a) original degrees or b) copies certified by a korean consulate. Fortunately for me, they quickly revoked their statement and said that the copy I'd provided would be fine.

Just wanted to let you guys know so that you don't send your original off to a consulate only to have it rejected.

I second what Norith has said. The rules have definitely changed for US teachers. After many many headaches and feeling very much like I was backed into a corner, I requested that the NYC Consulate contact my recruiter and tell her personally that they no longer certify diplomas. It would be great if those is SK were aware of that little tid bit of info. Maybe next year, perhaps...

Finally, I was told that the copy of my diploma was adequate - so, I would advise that you stick to copies.
princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I just checked out the Korean consulate webpage for New York and Atlanta. They no longer certify degree copies. Either you get your degree notorized and mail it off to an office to have an apostille attached, THEN sent to the Korean consulate to have it stamped, OR you just take a chance and hand over your original degree when you get a job in Korea. Merry Christmas!!! Love, immigration^^
SweetTea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I accepted a teaching position in Korea and they are asking for my original (or apostilled) degree to keep for a month. Why do they need it and should I hand it over? I'm very apprehensive about it because of the experiences of some of the people on this board (a director "losing" the original, giving it back in shoddy condition, etc). Sad What should I do?
racheln226

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: diploma needs? Reply with quote

spirit2110 wrote:

Finally, I was told that the copy of my diploma was adequate - so, I would advise that you stick to copies.

Spirit,

The copy was adequate for your visa or for your employer? I have gotten my visa, using an official letter of completion, but was under the impression I would have to provide the original at some point in Korea.

What do I need it for, and will notarized copies be acceptable? I'd rather leave my original here in a nice, safe frame...

Thanks!
racheln226

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: diploma needs? Reply with quote

spirit2110 wrote:

Spirit,

The copy was adequate for your visa or for your employer? I have gotten my visa, using an official letter of completion, but was under the impression I would have to provide the original at some point in Korea.

What do I need it for, and will notarized copies be acceptable? I'd rather leave my original here in a nice, safe frame...

Thanks!
WormBones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diploma Reply with quote

Adahma wrote:
Will American universities send another copy of my diploma so I can have an extra and keep my original?

I would suggest to anyone even THINKING of teaching overseas to check with their school about the ease of getting extra diplomas. Some schools, like mine, give them to alumni for free. It's nice to have 10 extra copies lying around for recruiters and whatnot.

That being said, I missed the boat.

So a new question about diplomas. Is it common practice to give recruiters scans of all your documents and just tell them you have the physical package on hand when they present a contract you want to sign.

Many recruiters ask for all your documents up front, including your original degree, which of course locks you into working with just that one recruiter. Even with multiple diplomas, the shipping to Korea isn't pretty, running about $50 for one document package via fedex.

So is it fair game to only send your physical documents when you are offered a contract from a school?

Thanks!
eljuero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Just to clarify..... Reply with quote

So, if I get everything - degree, criminal check, birth certificate, TESOL certificate etc.. notarized and then apostilled from the Department of State in my home state (as per the Hague agreement) I should be ok going with the originals to Korea. I don't need to go to the Korean embassy for my state for anything because I'll have both the original as well as everything notarized and apostilled.......
Right?
Thanks for your imput!
I guess I should add that I'm likely to need a run to Japan with this stuff after getting hired.....
ElJuero
curlygirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Diploma Reply with quote

WormBones wrote:

Many recruiters ask for all your documents up front, including your original degree, which of course locks you into working with just that one recruiter.

If any recruiter asks you to do this then switch recruiters.

WormBones wrote:

So is it fair game to only send your physical documents when you are offered a contract from a school?

Absolutely, and a good recruiter should tell you up front "Just send through scans. We won't ask for physical documents until we have a contract for you to sign."
midnitexeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got everything cleared up. I found myself second guessing myself over this. Thanks.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you dug up a 9 year old thread why???
midnitexeclipse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ttompatz: The last post was from 2010 and this was found in the FAQ. I am going to be going to Korea next year and wanted to say thanks for people posting this because it is very helpful? Why does it matter to you? I was just saying thanks no need to post what I assume was intended to be a negative response?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnitexeclipse wrote:
To ttompatz: The last post was from 2010 and this was found in the FAQ. I am going to be going to Korea next year and wanted to say thanks for people posting this because it is very helpful? Why does it matter to you? I was just saying thanks no need to post what I assume was intended to be a negative response?

Because even at 2010 it is wrong (out of date). Digging up old, archived threads on something like this is meaningless.

If you want current information, read the jobs forum.

For your applications, send off scans of your degree and cbc with the apostille affixed.

WHEN and only when you have your contract in hand do you send off the originals.

Immigration now requires a certified true copy of your degree with an apostille and the original CBC with an apostille.

midnitexeclipse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going through a reputable recruiter so they can help me with everything. I wasn't initially paying attention to dates it was just on the first page of one of the FAQ pages.
phanso2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
midnitexeclipse wrote:

Because even at 2010 it is wrong (out of date). Digging up old, archived threads on something like this is meaningless.

If you want current information, read the jobs forum.

For your applications, send off scans of your degree and cbc with the apostille affixed.

WHEN and only when you have your contract in hand do you send off the originals.

Immigration now requires a certified true copy of your degree with an apostille and the original CBC with an apostille.

If the information is outdated, maybe the FAQ shouldn't STILL be linking to this topic.

FAQ forum > Getting a Job - Things You Need to Know > Do I need a degree? > 8. Original Degree or Notorized Copy?

A lot of the FAQs link to posts from 2003, with the last post made in 2004ish. Seems rather old to me, but if no one is updating them then you can't blame newbies for reading them first!

Kind of turns the old "Read the FAQ before you post" adage on its head...
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to complain to the mods or Mr. Sperling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: