Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Former well known Seoul expat/teacher arrested in Cambodia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saulkc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Former well known Seoul expat/teacher arrested in Cambodia Reply with quote

Vadim Scott, formerly a staple on the Seoul entertainment scene with the band Mirror House, has been arrested in Cambodia it seems. He was also recently teaching in Bangkok.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/01/the-joker-in-child-sex-purchase-riddle.html
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know this guy personally? Would be interesting to hear some stories.
saulkc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His imdb page says he lived in Seoul for ten years and he regularly appeared on local TV
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://groovekorea.com/article/mirrorhouse-loud-harsh-and-your-face
Quote:
It would appear things have fallen into place for these expats, as they have been continually lauded as one of the better bands in the English-speaking community, if not in Korea as a whole. Their path became clearer after they won first prize in Rocky Mountain Tavern's Battle of the Bands. Winning not only gave them some money, but the chance to use the LRD studio as well, which has helped them get their first CD of original music — Zero Gravity — off the ground.

http://www.arirang.co.kr/Radio/RADIO_PHOTO_Gallery.asp?code=&PROG_CODE=radr0105&MENU_CODE=100659&KEY_ID=2659&page=3

http://www.youtube.com/user/MirrorHouseMusicTV/videos
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no here we go again... Rolling Eyes

What Korea needs to do is take sexual crimes more seriously... and make it easier for workplaces to police themselves.

As things stand, if I alert police to a co-worker who I know is a paedophile or have good grounds to suspect of being such, then not only will my workplace be penalized and lose students, I will likely be out of a job.

Not only that, Korean schools need to involve respected foreigners in their hiring/ interview/ screening process.

Time and again hogwon owners will happily hire creepy psychos whose photo alone sends a shiver down my spine. Koreans are terribly naïve at judging westerners character.
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Oh no here we go again... Rolling Eyes

What Korea needs to do is take sexual crimes more seriously... and make it easier for workplaces to police themselves.

As things stand, if I alert police to a co-worker who I know is a paedophile or have good grounds to suspect of being such, then not only will my workplace be penalized and lose students, I will likely be out of a job.

Not only that, Korean schools need to involve respected foreigners in their hiring/ interview/ screening process.

Time and again hogwon owners will happily hire creepy psychos whose photo alone sends a shiver down my spine. Koreans are terribly naïve at judging westerners character.

Are you saying you can spot a pedo from a picture?
archaeologist5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vadim Scott, formerly a staple on the Seoul entertainment scene with the band Mirror House, has been arrested in Cambodia it seems. He was also recently teaching in Bangkok.

My first guess, when I read the title, was that you were going to mention Steve Schertzer. he is in Cambodia right now.

I have never heard of that guy so I guess he isn't that well known.

Quote:

i really disagree with that suggestion. Western teachers are no better at hiring someone than a Korean is.

Quote:

I remember reading a comment under a news article, possibly the Sandusky affair, and he said "When I became a corrections officer I thought I would be able to spot the pedophiles and molesters right away.

Turned out I couldn't as they were nice, charming and well mannered (etc.)"

There is an old saying "you can't judge a book by its cover" and a photo is only the cover of a teacher.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, unless you see some inappropriate action, I'm not sure someone could "see" a pedo.

Don't recognize any of the guys in that pic - but who knows. Maybe he even posted on here. hahahaha
bobbyhanlon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew him from playing music when I first came to live in Seoul. Obviously I had no idea he might have had such proclivities... He was pretty arrogant and considered himself a star, but that's the only bad thing I can say about him from my experience.
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that character will ever be able to show his face around Itaewon / HBC again. I don't recognize him, but apparently he was well known in certain circles. He has several videos of his band up on youtube, so some of you might reconize him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H145unpw-_Q Let's hope he gets a lengthy jail sentence as a deterrent against any other clowns engaging in such behavior. Unfortunately, the Korean media will have a field day with this and there will be further cries for stronger visa restrictions.
MOD EDIT
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbyhanlon wrote:
Obviously I had no idea he might have had such proclivities... He was pretty arrogant and considered himself a star

good riddance then
mike in brasil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the title and thought, oh great another pedo thread.

Then I looked at some of the videos and had a strange feeling like I'd seen this guy before.

Then I realized I'd worked with him back in 2009 on TV program. He's a talented musician for sure.

He did seem a little fruity around the gills.... but that doesn't make him a criminal. yet.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:

Are you saying you can spot a pedo from a picture?

Maybe not but I can spot trouble at the interview stage at least.

I can think of three people that I would not have hired in a million years that my schools happily hired, thinking they were charming. I was either present through part of the interview or saw them on Skype, and I warned my boss at the time.

In each case, the persons involved ended up getting fired for either losing vast numbers of students, doing inappropriate things and one even assaulted one of the parents.

After that they listened to my opinion.

Its in the eyes.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike in brasil wrote:
I saw the title and thought, oh great another pedo thread.

Then I looked at some of the videos and had a strange feeling like I'd seen this guy before.

Then I realized I'd worked with him back in 2009 on TV program. He's a talented musician for sure.

He did seem a little fruity around the gills.... but that doesn't make him a criminal. yet.

Ture enough. He hasn't been convicted yet.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOST are quick to condemn, sling mud, start rumors, jump on the band wagon....well, you get the picture.
But just remember...it could well be YOU that is being accused! And what if you are really and sincerely innocent?
Thousands and thousands have been sentenced to prison, executed only later we come to find out...they were not guilty!

On the other hand....what business does a grown male have taking a minor/boy to a hotel room who is not his son?! Especially in a country where sex with children is well known!

When the evidence is irrefutable...convicted pedophiles...should to be castrated...right in the court room! No passing go...just right from the defendants table to the back room!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: