Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antivirus 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wintermute

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Antivirus 2014 Reply with quote

What do you currently use for antivirus/anti spyware/malware detection and removal?

I know there are older threads, but I'd like some up-to-date info from you tech-savvy users out there.

Are there comprehensive free solutions out there, or is this one service you feel it is worth paying for?

Any antivirus companies or programs that should be avoided?
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Antivirus 2014 Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:

Are there comprehensive free solutions out there, or is this one service you feel it is worth paying for?

Any antivirus companies or programs that should be avoided?

From an article on Daily Dot today:

Avast! is the best free one, Kaperski is the best paid, and anything from Microsoft should be avoided like the plague. Which is too bad since I remember Security Essentials being darn good a while back.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-antivirus-9-reviewed-and-rated-1057786

Have personally used #s 1, 3, 4, and 6 over the yrs. Used to use avg free religiously with zonealarm as my firewall. However, there were always issues when running the two. Hated avast the two times I tried it. Thought I'd never go back after the first hell, but found it was worse the second time time around. Fool me once... . Also, had quite a few issues with avira, but that may've been due to *ahem* false-positives. I currently use ad-aware and like it - apparently is more-or-less bitdefender, w a bit of emphasis on browser hi-jacker blockage, which is what ad-aware was a bit famous for back in the day. There ARE a few false-positives if you choose to use it, so be aware of that. They're all free, so try a few out, and see what you like.
ekim10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use McAfee Internet Security Suite 12.8 which has both "security center" and "anti-virus." I like it as it's fairly simple and doesn't bother me all the time. Unfortunately it's set to expire as it came as a free trial with the laptop I bought recently.

As said above I used Avast before and constantly got tons of loud warnings that constantly went off. I also agree with what was said about AVG.

Is anyone else using McAfee and like it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: