Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New noise laws in Korea - from today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like laws are enforced in Korea any way.

Outlawing noise would be akin to canceling Christmas.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
cdninkorea wrote:
Smithington wrote:
And the thing is, there's a police station nearby. They must have heard the yelling at some point, or received a phone complaint, but did nothing.

Why didn't you call the police? Or ask them to quiet down? Rolling Eyes

Because if he did that, and they came and told them to quiet down he wouldn't have anything to piss and moan about this morning.

You sure told him, man.
yfb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
A general rule of thumb- When you live in "free" housing, you probably aren't going to get top quality and you probably are going to have to deal with issues. That's not fair to you and people should follow the law, but reality dictates something else.

I knew that Steelrails was going to ride into this topic on his unicorn and Korean banner and proclaim to the unwashed masses at Dave's that "it's free, you shouldn't expect good quality". Well then, what about the other families paying to live in the apartment?

Never mind that good noiseproofing practices didn't really exist until apartments built in 2006
Never mind that a vast majority of Koreans show almost no consideration for their neighbors as evidenced by endless topics about noise on Dave's and Waygook
Never mind that police here don't really care about noise complaints.
Never mind that even expensive apartments aren't immune to this problem because of the chaebols skimping on noiseproofing
Never mind that people have been MURDERED over this.

It's all the foreigner's fault and we should just shut up and understand Korean culture Rolling Eyes
yfb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
A general rule of thumb- When you live in "free" housing, you probably aren't going to get top quality and you probably are going to have to deal with issues. That's not fair to you and people should follow the law, but reality dictates something else.

I knew that Steelrails was going to ride into this topic on his unicorn and Korean banner and proclaim to the unwashed masses at Dave's that "it's free, you shouldn't expect good quality". Well then, what about the other families paying to live in the apartment?

Never mind that good noiseproofing practices didn't really exist until apartments built in 2006
Never mind that a vast majority of Koreans show almost no consideration for their neighbors as evidenced by endless topics about noise on Dave's and Waygook
Never mind that even expensive apartments aren't immune to this problem because of the chaebols skimping on noiseproofing

It's all the foreigner's fault and we should just shut up and understand Korean culture Rolling Eyes
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yfb wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

No, its called if you want to live in a soundproof, quiet place, save up some money and buy your own house. I lived in quiet neighborhoods back home, guess what? They all were suburban areas with high rent. I also lived in apartment blocks that had parties going on until 3AM, bands jamming in them, an entire Ecuadorean family of like 12 in one apartment that would throw wild parties once a month, fights, obvious drug use, police sirens, and so on. It's part and parcel of living in "I'm just temporarily here" housing. I'm sure if you lived in some multi-million apartment hi-rise, it would be a lot more quiet. What the heck are you expecting? One rooms are a step above a dorm room.

And guess what, get a foreigner with a big place and 10 friends and you've got a party that's as loud as any bunch of Koreans. What you think foreigner house parties are a bunch of people sipping wine and eating cheese and listening to soft piano jazz? As for the murder thing, people have been murdered over every single reason under the sun. Just because someone has been murdered once in 10 years over noise, doesn't mean you should run out and make a bunch of laws.

You want to deal with noise? Do what normal people do and talk to your neighbors and ask them to keep it down. And if you don't want to live in the same building as 25 other people, do what people do in the real world and save up money and buy a house.

Besides, I'm pretty sure a bunch of people complaining about their neighbor's noise generate a fair bit of noise themselves, they just don't realize it. That's how it always is with noise.
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'do what people do in the real world and save up money and buy a house'

I laughed when I read that bit..

steels, you dont seem like a bad lad at heart but ill give you some advice (if you dont mind, you dont have to listen mind you, its just my opinion).
Its along the vein of 'the boy that cried wolf'.
While you often have some very valid points, if you continue to blindly side with the Koreans on every issue, regardless of the situation, its probable that when you do have an important point to make, people will be less likely to listen as you may seem staunchly, korea-centric.

However if we always defend something blindly and are absolutely resolute, especially when its complex, it makes it seem a little, well, shallow and automated (as is the case with a 'faith' argument).
In this case, people may see your opinions as less valuable.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
'do what people do in the real world and save up money and buy a house'

I laughed when I read that bit...

That's why they call him 'SteelHeart' Very Happy
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

No, its called if you want to live in a soundproof, quiet place, save up some money and buy your own house. I lived in quiet neighborhoods back home, guess what? They all were suburban areas with high rent. I also lived in apartment blocks that had parties going on until 3AM, bands jamming in them, an entire Ecuadorean family of like 12 in one apartment that would throw wild parties once a month, fights, obvious drug use, police sirens, and so on. It's part and parcel of living in "I'm just temporarily here" housing. I'm sure if you lived in some multi-million apartment hi-rise, it would be a lot more quiet. What the heck are you expecting? One rooms are a step above a dorm room.

And guess what, get a foreigner with a big place and 10 friends and you've got a party that's as loud as any bunch of Koreans. What you think foreigner house parties are a bunch of people sipping wine and eating cheese and listening to soft piano jazz? As for the murder thing, people have been murdered over every single reason under the sun. Just because someone has been murdered once in 10 years over noise, doesn't mean you should run out and make a bunch of laws.

You want to deal with noise? Do what normal people do and talk to your neighbors and ask them to keep it down. And if you don't want to live in the same building as 25 other people, do what people do in the real world and save up money and buy a house.

Besides, I'm pretty sure a bunch of people complaining about their neighbor's noise generate a fair bit of noise themselves, they just don't realize it. That's how it always is with noise.

You really can't control yourself with the 'back home' and rambling on afterwards can you? I suggest you find a new schtick to keep things fresh. Your current thing has become quite stale.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:

You really can't control yourself with the 'back home' and rambling on afterwards can you? I suggest you find a new schtick to keep things fresh. Your current thing has become quite stale.

I've never gotten the whole 'compare Korea to back home when complaining about Korea and then complain when someone compares Korea to back home.

"Germany has Beethoven. Korea has noise."
"Germany has the Nazis."
"Why are you bringing up Germany????"
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
byrddogs wrote:

I've never gotten the whole 'compare Korea to back home when complaining about Korea and then complain when someone compares Korea to back home.

"Germany has the Nazis."

Your troll has run its course. People are onto it and are tired of it. Change it up a little from time to time at least. We've seen your attempts with the drinking, Denny's, and I don't post at night because I go out with both local and foreign friends and we don't talk about K stuff. Get real, man. Your peeps back in the Detroit metro area would be ashamed.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
byrddogs wrote:

"Germany has the Nazis."

Your troll has run its course. People are onto it and are tired of it. Change it up a little from time to time at least. We've seen your attempts with the drinking, Denny's, and I don't post at night because I go out with both local and foreign friends and we don't talk about K stuff. Get real, man. Your peeps back in the Detroit metro area would be ashamed.

burddogs, do you have the ability to distinguish between posting an opposing view (often in response to over-the-top, unrealistic, or bigoted reactions to life in Korea) and trolling? Apparently, if someone doesn't agree with you, they must be a troll.

And on topic- It seriously seems that these people mystified at noise have never lived in an apartment in the city or something. Don't ya'll remember your dorms or student apartments that just had music blasting 24-7 and parties all the time, and drunk people passing by on their way from the Diag, cops, fights, people blasting their subs in their cas, and arguments?

Now if you get this kind of noise in a nice apartment building, I understand the frustration, but in a block of cheapy one-rooms? What do you expect in a place that has a 3'X4' kitchen and no bathtub?
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR, you just post too much. I don't care about anyone's opinion enough to read that number of posts from any one user.
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
byrddogs wrote:

"Germany has the Nazis."

burddogs, do you have the ability to distinguish between posting an opposing view (often in response to over-the-top, unrealistic, or bigoted reactions to life in Korea) and trolling? Apparently, if someone doesn't agree with you, they must be a troll.

And on topic- It seriously seems that these people mystified at noise have never lived in an apartment in the city or something. Don't ya'll remember your dorms or student apartments that just had music blasting 24-7 and parties all the time, and drunk people passing by on their way from the Diag, cops, fights, people blasting their subs in their cas, and arguments?

Now if you get this kind of noise in a nice apartment building, I understand the frustration, but in a block of cheapy one-rooms? What do you expect in a place that has a 3'X4' kitchen and no bathtub?

I live in what would be considered a nice place, and there is noise from the upstairs apartment that is easily heard. It's just common things like walking around, which I never heard when I lived in a dorm or apartment complex in the U.S., or their little dog barking.

It's usually not too bad, but when their alarm starts ringing very early in the morning, around 5 a.m., and they don't bother to turn it off and it goes on and on and on I've had to go up and ask them to turn it off. Pretty annoying.

You have to live in a very new, probably expensive apartment building not to be able to hear your upstairs neighbors.

Now that you understand, please refrain from posting more on this topic. TIA.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
byrddogs wrote:

"Germany has the Nazis."

byrddogs, do you have the ability to distinguish between posting an opposing view (often in response to over-the-top, unrealistic, or bigoted reactions to life in Korea) and trolling? Apparently, if someone doesn't agree with you, they must be a troll.

I do, and it would be a refreshing change if that was what came from you. Right now, I don't see that. You basically just troll. I don't care whether someone on an internet forum agrees with me or not, btw.
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely lucky to have nobody living in close proximity to me. The apartment immediately above me has been empty for over two years, and I only have one apartment next to me which has been empty for over a year now. Didn't hear much from them before that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: