Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Salary would be too low to make you go back home?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speck7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: What Salary would be too low to make you go back home? Reply with quote

I would say anything under 2.0 . I make over 3 so I'm not worrying about it, but I do feel bad for the hagwon monkeys out there making that measly 2.2 still.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What Salary would be too low to make you go back home? Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:
I would say anything under 2.0 . I make over 3 so I'm not worrying about it, but I do feel bad for the hagwon monkeys out there making that measly 2.2 still.

Too funny.
Anyone making less than me is a monkey and should go home.
Good call on that.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What Salary would be too low to make you go back home? Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Speck7 wrote:

Too funny.
Anyone making less than me is a monkey and should go home.
Good call on that.

I await fustian and/or wooden nickels coming on to this thread to proclaim that only heathens (or was it dirt farmers?) work for less than 6 million.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What Salary would be too low to make you go back home? Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:

Are you still drunk this morning or just feeling particularly arrogant and patronising?

So using your argument, almost all Koreans are 'monkeys' because the majority of them get paid less than foreigners?

Ill be sure to tell my girlfriend that.
Speck7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What Salary would be too low to make you go back home? Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
Speck7 wrote:

Are you still drunk this morning or just feeling particularly arrogant and patronising?

So using your argument, almost all Koreans are 'monkeys' because the majority of them get paid less than foreigners?

Ill be sure to tell my girlfriend that.

Come on don't get mad, I'm just asking a straight forward question and pulled some figures out to set the parameters that I would need to stay, not anyone else. People who earn around 2.2 aren't below me by any stretch of the imagination but they sure aren't on my income earning level, that's for sure.

And anyone who works at a hagwon is a monkey to me, no salary taken into consideration for me when making that educated guess.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess, you work in Seoul and are around 28 years old?
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory about teachers in Korea.

People like to be special/different. Since were all living here, we realise we're just the same as everyone else.
When we go home, no-one really cares about where we've been.
A lot of people also dont feel valued as a professional- especially since theyre teachers (some do).

The result (in the majority of cases)

A- Make a plan to go home (maybe teach somewhere else for a while first).
B -Accept your situation and make the best of it (try to get better positions/married etc.).
C- become bitter/arrogant.

People in the B category sometimes slip into the C category because they started at the bottom and worked their way up a bit and feel that gives them the right to look down on other people - regardless of whether or not others are content with what they are doing or it suits their situation (eg location).

I have seen this a lot.

Uni look down on public school.
public school look down on academies.

I can guess where you fit into my theory based on your crass, original comment.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What Salary would be too low to make you go back home? Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:
People who earn around 2.2 aren't below me by any stretch of the imagination but they sure aren't on my income earning level, that's for sure.

'scool, you're not on my income earning level either so no sweat off my sack

Why would someone brag about clearing 3 million, anyway? At least people like fustian set that bar so ridiculously high that one will at least think, "Fair enough if dude really does clear that." Is 3 million something to come brag on ESL Cafe about? Confused
Speck7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

Totally wrong, Im older and living in a satellite city.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Ok, but you are aware at least that South of South Korea (even big cities like Busan, Daegu and Mokpo), offer jobs at around 2.2-2.8 per month (even adult/company jobs)?

Anyway, your OP was condescending and rude to a lot of people - that much I do know...
Speck7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
Speck7 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Ok, but you are aware at least that South of South Korea (even big cities like Busan, Daegu and Mokpo), offer jobs at around 2.2-2.8 per month (even adult/company jobs)?

Anyway, your OP was condescending and rude to a lot of people - that much I do know...

If it betters some hagwon monkey to realize what he is and does something about it and gets a better job, then how is what I said bad? You have to think outside the box as to why I started this thread.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone join this pissing contest?

I can pee further than you can... na na na na.

Back to the original question... with the current state of income / cost of living, expenses and labor markets ...

2.0 - 2.2 (plus benefits) is fair for entry level into teaching EFL.
2.4-3.0 (plus benefits) is fair for something above entry level as a teacher/lecturer.
4.0-6.0 (plus benefits) is fair for admin/consulting depending on what you do, the time it takes you to do it, the necessary qualifications to do what you do and your background experience.

I would suggest that no-one should be working as an EFL teacher at rates under 2.0 (what I would consider fair market value for services performed at the entry level for untrained and largely unqualified "teachers")

Anyone who thinks they are teaching ESL (by definition) in Korea largely belongs in the lower (entry) levels.

"What Salary would be too low to make you go back home?" is a good example of a teacher who shouldn't be teaching English above the entry level.

Last edited by ttompatz on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
cabeza

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure:

Speck7 was Dodge7/Nolos.

Some of his most memorable moments were:

-when he bragged on another website that he was a weapons dealer in Korea who had secret meetings with Barack Obama.

-When he came on here for legal advice after his wife walked on on him with their baby becuase he was spending too much time on the internet

-He's a born again christian, who says anyone who hasnt accepted Jesus as their personal saviour is going to hell.

In general just a hateful tool.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabeza wrote:
Full disclosure:

Speck7 was Dodge7/Nolos.

Some of his most memorable moments were:

-when he bragged on another website that he was a weapons dealer in Korea who had secret meetings with Barack Obama.

-When he came on here for legal advice after his wife walked on on him with their baby becuase he was spending too much time on the internet

-He's a born again christian, who says anyone who hasnt accepted Jesus as their personal saviour is going to hell.

In general just a hateful tool.

Did everyone already know this?
That's just assassin. Wink

I never think about socks.
Even the good ones though, too.

Thanks for the heads up.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
public school look down on academies.

I work at a public school, but I don't look down on academy teachers. I've seen first hand how students who attend English hagwons tend to have higher English competency than their peers. Part of that no doubt comes down to motivation and study habits, but part of it also surely comes from the efforts of their teachers there, and I don't see any reason why we should disparage those efforts. Far too many people have bought into this capitalistic notion of merit, wherein the value one produces is determined not by how much one's actions improve the lives of others, but purely by how marketable and rare one's work skills are. If one cares about their students and sincerely tries to help them learn English (a valuable and important skill), I don't see why one deserves anything but praise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: