Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Salary would be too low to make you go back home?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
guavashake wrote:
In 1968, George Bush graduated from Yale.
Bush also received his M.B.A. from Harvard in 1975.

The SAME GW Bush who prided himself in having a "C" average when giving the commencement speech to the 300th graduating class at Yale?

The Devil is in the details. A "C" average at Yale is a "B" average at every other university that is not say an Ivy League University, UCLA, Berkeley etc.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that list (the list the K-government uses), Oxford is #3 (maybe #2) and Cambridge is #7. That's pretty high up there on the list. But overall, the U.S. dominates the rankings. It is also the wealthiest, most powerful, and most influential country in history. The people there couldn't be that dumb. (They are not nearly as dumb as people are claiming.)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
guavashake wrote:

The SAME GW Bush who prided himself in having a "C" average when giving the commencement speech to the 300th graduating class at Yale?

The Devil is in the details. A "C" average at Yale is a "B" average at every other university that is not say an Ivy League University, UCLA, Berkeley etc.

A "C" at Yale (11) is no better than a "C" at Cambridge (7), Oxford (2), U of Toronto (20) or any of 100 others in the same range.

It still means one step above academic probation and expulsion.
(and it was at a Yale commencement that he was proud of his "C".

American doesn't mean better. It just means overpriced and ethnocentric.

World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guavashake wrote:
Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize for peace by dolts.

Those "dolts" weren't American.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Nobel_Committee
radcon

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
guavashake wrote:

Huge misconception. Elite schools are hard to get into, but the workload and difficulty of the classes are no more than many public schools ( at least for undergrad) Elite schools go out of their way to make sure students don't flunk out and finish in 4 years. My buddy at Stanford was allowed to drop classes and not have them show up on transcripts even after the final exam. Ever hear of the "gentleman's C?"
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

A "C" at Yale (11) is no better than a "C" at Cambridge (7), Oxford (2), U of Toronto (20) or any of 100 others in the same range.

Your reply doesn't exactly address what I posted. I think it's because your rapid anti-Americanism is not exactly letting you reason clearly.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

Huge misconception. Elite schools are hard to get into, but the workload and difficulty of the classes are no more than many public schools ( at least for undergrad) Elite schools go out of their way to make sure students don't flunk out and finish in 4 years. My buddy at Stanford was allowed to drop classes and not have them show up on transcripts even after the final exam. Ever hear of the "gentleman's C?"

Or perhaps the workload seems the same because the students are better students or maybe smarter. I've never met someone from Harvard who wasn't innately smart. As for corruption you're talking about I would need to see it to believe it. How come Ted Kennedy wasn't able to pay his way out of the situation that he found himself in at his Ivy League School?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

Your reply doesn't exactly address what I posted. I think it's because your rapid anti-Americanism is not exactly letting you reason clearly.

So Cambridge, Oxford and U of T have joined the "Ivy League" (a sports conference)?

A "C" at Yale is NOT the same as a "B" at other decent universities.

A "C" at Yale is NO DIFFERENT than a "C" at other decent universities (one step above a fail and expulsion) and has the same level of academic achievement (or in the case of a "C" lack of achievement).

A "C" at Yale might be the same as a "B" at your alma mater (Podunk-U at Fort Jackson was it?)

I think it's because your rabid ethnocentrism is not exactly letting you reason clearly or perhaps it is from spending too much time hiding your head in the sand dunes or too much sun in the desert that has done you in?

radcon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
radcon wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

Or perhaps the workload seems the same because the students are better students or maybe smarter. I've never met someone from Harvard who wasn't innately smart. As for corruption you're talking about I would need to see it to believe it. How come Ted Kennedy wasn't able to pay his way out of the situation that he found himself in at his Ivy League School?

Ivy Leaguers are smart, sure, but not all of them are geniuses. Much of those admitted to top US colleges are not worthy but well connected. 40% of those admitted are just because of connections. Harvard has a "Z list" of applicants who are not viable candidates but are admitted due to connections. If you don't belive this, read the book The Price of Admission. It destroys the notion that the US is some great meritocracy.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
40% of those admitted are just because of connections.

Really? (How did you get that number?) If that is true, then how is the United States able to continually dominate the rankings of best universities year after year after year (decade after decade after decade)? Is it because that is happening to a greater extent elsewhere in other countries? Or maybe something else? How is the most innovation coming out of the U.S. (if it is such a corrupt country as you like to say)?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
radcon wrote:
40% of those admitted are just because of connections.

Really? (How did you get that number?) If that is true, then how is the United States able to continually dominate the rankings of best universities year after year after year (decade after decade after decade)? Is it because that is happening to a greater extent elsewhere in other countries? Or maybe something else? How is the most innovation coming out of the U.S. (if it is such a corrupt country as you like to say)?

Keep in mind a lot of rankings are due to faculty, research, and other factors at a university, and not its undergrads. That % (even if it is correct) does not apply to PhD and other grad programs.

And obviously those admitted due to connections aren't complete dumb asses since the average Harvad student's SAT score is quite high.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

The word you're looking for is rabid, or maybe vapid. Definitely not rapid. Rapid means to go quickly, or fast... Unlike slow people.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write in the mornings when I'm at Starbucks. I don't bother with checking spelling and don't waste time proofreading. Anyhow a person who somehow makes a "rapid" vs. "rabid" mistake is a far cry from a retard who comes to the forum and uses "My Bad" in place of "My mistake" or "My fault", something that no other English teacher in their right mind would come to this forum and do. Also a person who comes in to the forum and uses "My Bad" would be even more of a retard when he thinks that other people on this forum wouldn't figure out that he has two other socks using the same "My bad" expression.

Of course I could be wrong, and it turns out that your user names "Died By Bear" "Hokie21" and "Titus are not socks. In that case then perhaps you are foreigners to English, all with bad "handlers". Your "handlers" watch American movies and have been given the bad impression from a movie that someone with a normal IQ would say "My Bad" on an English forum for NETs. This scenario also wouldn't be entirely inconsistent with some of the other things that I hear Died By Bear/Hokie21/Titus saying on the forum here. For instance the majority of your postings are overwhelmingly superficial attempts at humor, or are politically motivated postings with shallow logic, and your postings only occasionally have anything to do with education or English teaching in Korea or anywhere else. I am sure that you and your socks, or the three of you and your "handlers", or whatever you may be, will find plenty of grammer and spelling errors in my posts to come, for instance like the one that I just made in this very sentence. Most people here don't give a **** about little petty things like that anyway, at least not the ones that have an IQ.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited in the name of peace.

Last edited by Died By Bear on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
I would leave if I make anything less than what I make now, and if can't make at least 30 percent more than my current earnings within the next two years, I am going to have to consider seriously getting a job in a different feild and/or going back to school. That, or opening a business.

You've outdone my expectations! Congrats.

Have you considered a career in rap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATfON8bgM-0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: