Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isnt a training question, but I was just wondering what people use as snacks during the day here in korea (basically something I can have a very small meal of once a day)?

Something preferably low in fat/carbs high in protein.

cheers
Fox

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
This isnt a training question, but I was just wondering what people use as snacks during the day here in korea (basically something I can have a very small meal of once a day)?

cheers

번데기?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually eat at home... so I don't buy snacks around town much.

Also, when the weather is decent, I'll carry a protein bar with me sometimes.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
le-paul wrote:

cheers

번데기?

haha

yeah, i should have added, something that doesnt smell like boiled, gym socks.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
le-paul wrote:

cheers

번데기?

Does your question mark signify general curiousity or this an attempt at some kind of humor?
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also again in general has anyone tried crossfit out?
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
Ive been thinking about trying crossfit out.

Anyone here doing that? Also I am a "no supplement, no added usage of powders, shakes, etc" kind of guy so im continuing to put muscle on but its much more in hopes of leaning me out and not be a walking brick shite house.

I actually need to maintain a speed build for Muay thai and jiujutsu, so anyone thoughts on whether cross fit is good for that? Or just in general on crossfit

appreciate it

Where do you live? I feel like they're pretty few and far between in Korea. A buddy of mine goes to a place in Yongin that he really enjoys though. He's gotten really solid lately and speaks highly of the staff.

I tried it in Canada during university and really enjoyed it. The trainers were VERY well trained and knowledgeable, and the group that worked out there created a very supportive atmosphere.
That being said, I couldn't sign up because it turned out it was CRAZY expensive. "$150/month." "Wow, um, do you have a student rate?" "That is our student rate." So....no thanks.
I joined a Crossfit place subsequently in Europe for a few months, also a great facility, that happened to be $35 bucks a month. They had a slightly different model though, almost all body weight. Still enjoyed it.
It made me wonder why the hell it was so expensive in NA. Maybe their insurance was lower with less lifting.

However, from what I've read, people who eschew Crossfit do so for 3 reasons:
1) because the emphasis on hitting rep numbers for time leads a lot of people to sacrifice form, and risk injury. (What I liked about both places I joined was they emphasized AMAP-with-proper-form. The first place was run by a former police fitness trainer, and the second place by a former firefighter fitness trainer.)
2) because the certification process for becoming a Crossfit 'instructor' is apparently fairly cursory, and allegedly there's a lot of hacks who get the accreditation and then go open a Crossfit gym and teach terrible form
3) it's generally REALLY expensive
The first two vary across facility, but the 3rd is almost always true.

If you're doing both jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai a few times a week with high intensity, and doing whatever conditioning workouts they've got you on, I probably wouldn't bother with Crossfit. Most likely the only thing you need is to supplement with some weight training in a regular gym. Adding Crossfit strikes me as an unnecessary additional expense and strain on your body.
If the martial arts practice is more casual, you could add Crossfit, but definitely arrange to try a couple classes/workouts before you sign up, get a feel for the place.

le-paul wrote:

Nuts/seeds and carrots. That's an OG technique I picked up back in nursery school. When I'm feeling inspired I might make ants-on-a-log.

Some days I have quinoa instead of carrots.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on why you want to do crossfit and how it fits in with your Muay Thai and BJJ training. If you want to gain strength, why not just do regular strength training. If you want to improve conditioning, why not do more conditioning and roadwork?
Fox

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
Fox wrote:
le-paul wrote:

cheers

번데기?

Does your question mark signify general curiousity or this an attempt at some kind of humor?

They meet every requirement he initially listed, and they're available all over the place.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
Ive been thinking about trying crossfit out.

Anyone here doing that? Also I am a "no supplement, no added usage of powders, shakes, etc" kind of guy so im continuing to put muscle on but its much more in hopes of leaning me out and not be a walking brick shite house.

I actually need to maintain a speed build for Muay thai and jiujutsu, so anyone thoughts on whether cross fit is good for that? Or just in general on crossfit

appreciate it

Where do you live? I feel like they're pretty few and far between in Korea. A buddy of mine goes to a place in Yongin that he really enjoys though. He's gotten really solid lately and speaks highly of the staff.

I tried it in Canada during university and really enjoyed it. The trainers were VERY well trained and knowledgeable, and the group that worked out there created a very supportive atmosphere.
That being said, I couldn't sign up because it turned out it was CRAZY expensive. "$150/month." "Wow, um, do you have a student rate?" "That is our student rate." So....no thanks.
I joined a Crossfit place subsequently in Europe for a few months, also a great facility, that happened to be $35 bucks a month. They had a slightly different model though, almost all body weight. Still enjoyed it.
It made me wonder why the hell it was so expensive in NA. Maybe their insurance was lower with less lifting.

However, from what I've read, people who eschew Crossfit do so for 3 reasons:
1) because the emphasis on hitting rep numbers for time leads a lot of people to sacrifice form, and risk injury. (What I liked about both places I joined was they emphasized AMAP-with-proper-form. The first place was run by a former police fitness trainer, and the second place by a former firefighter fitness trainer.)
2) because the certification process for becoming a Crossfit 'instructor' is apparently fairly cursory, and allegedly there's a lot of hacks who get the accreditation and then go open a Crossfit gym and teach terrible form
3) it's generally REALLY expensive
The first two vary across facility, but the 3rd is almost always true.

If you're doing both jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai a few times a week with high intensity, and doing whatever conditioning workouts they've got you on, I probably wouldn't bother with Crossfit. Most likely the only thing you need is to supplement with some weight training in a regular gym. Adding Crossfit strikes me as an unnecessary additional expense and strain on your body.
If the martial arts practice is more casual, you could add Crossfit, but definitely arrange to try a couple classes/workouts before you sign up, get a feel for the place.

le-paul wrote:

Nuts/seeds and carrots. That's an OG technique I picked up back in nursery school. When I'm feeling inspired I might make ants-on-a-log.

Some days I have quinoa instead of carrots.

I live near suwon in a new pretty fasting growing city called Dongtan. Basically I was just wondering if crossfit could incorporate anything extra. I was pretty skeptical of it, because when I walk by the place I see a bunch of korean guys doing speed sets but with less than stellar form in their workouts. But I was generally curious. My BJJ and Muay thai is pretty hardcore so I think il just continue with that. Thanks for the info
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisinkorea2011 wrote:
I live near suwon in a new pretty fasting growing city called Dongtan. Basically I was just wondering if crossfit could incorporate anything extra. I was pretty skeptical of it, because when I walk by the place I see a bunch of korean guys doing speed sets but with less than stellar form in their workouts. But I was generally curious. My BJJ and Muay thai is pretty hardcore so I think il just continue with that. Thanks for the info

Yeah, basically, what I appreciated about Crossfit was it was a more dynamic/engaging and comprehensive approach to fitness than what I would generally get from going to the gym on my own. (You can of course develop a comprehensive fitness program on your own, and many people do, I guess at that time I was just too lazy to put the time into reading up.) Which is the same reason I enjoy doing martial arts.
And the 'core values' of Crossfit, "cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy" are exactly what you develop in martial arts. Just hit a regular gym if you feel like you're not making sufficient gains in strength/power.

/my $0.02.

Another non-training question:

What do you guys do about soft-tissue injuries in Korea?
I'm pretty sure I've developed some form of Achilles tendinopathy on one side (I went from having minimal discomfort when running to having pain when walking up stairs even though I've been babying it in a big way), but I'm not certain what kind / what is causing it. I'd like to go somewhere to have it assessed / have a course of rehab outlined. Any suggestions / personal experiences? I live in Gyeonggi.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do deep tissue massage work. I find that when my joints start acting up, massaging them, and upstream/down stream, really helps.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tiger balm for all my sports injuries/martial arts related injuries which basically is like icyhot. As far as tissue damage I know that the feet and wrist are most likely to get injured in any type of activity (saw my brother break both of his wrist from running and falling down) You might just need xrays and them to tell you to basically stay off of it for however long they suggest.
T-dot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

cheers

I eat puffed quinoa as a snack.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last summer, I made the mistake of trying to bulk... in the Korean summer... in the hottest summer of the past 100 years.

It was a mess. Sweating everywhere, and totally lost my appetite.

Instead, I'm going to try to follow nature a bit. I'm down from 245lbs to 235 already, and hope to continue to drop at least another 10lbs over the next month or so. I'll save the bulking for the cooler months. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 48 of 51

Jump to: