Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i have another question... assuming i wanted to make a work out programme that i used on week days (im busy rock climbing etc on weekends) and wanted to split my muscle groups into the following;

legs
shoulders
triceps/chest
forearms/bicepts (i train these separately for climbing performance)
back
stomach every other day and cardio twice a week.

How would you order them on a daily rotation (eg mondays: back, stomach and cardio).?

I already have a programme but i was just wondering what other people do generally.

Thanks
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
So last summer, I made the mistake of trying to bulk... in the Korean summer... in the hottest summer of the past 100 years.

It was a mess. Sweating everywhere, and totally lost my appetite.

Instead, I'm going to try to follow nature a bit. I'm down from 245lbs to 235 already, and hope to continue to drop at least another 10lbs over the next month or so. I'll save the bulking for the cooler months. lol

Yeah considering that summer has barely started, im sensing a humid ugly summer. I gotta lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks and am pretty confident for it. Killing the carbs and fats and eating lots of fruits and veggies. Also cut my meat intake by about 40%.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul, I do my split a few ways

I do the "bro split"
-back
-chest
-legs
-shoulders
-arms

I like to keep back and legs apart because of core strain. And like to separate chest and shoulders for recovery.

But when I'm feeling like I need to step it up, I do
-Pull
-Push
-Legs
-Pull
-Push
-Legs
-Off
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
le-paul, I do my split a few ways

I do the "bro split"
-back
-chest
-legs
-shoulders
-arms

I like to keep back and legs apart because of core strain. And like to separate chest and shoulders for recovery.

But when I'm feeling like I need to step it up, I do
-Pull
-Push
-Legs
-Pull
-Push
-Legs
-Off

Cheers.

Ill try that next month. See what gains Smile
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solid video about aging and lifting.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that bro-split you suggested last week/this week cap. kor., it works pretty good. Thanks!

A couple more questions if thats ok...

1/ i want to start using more deadlifts or clean and jerks in with that routine, which day would be best to incorporate them? (eg legs day). Is it better to use them as a warm up or as a finishing exercise (considering that at the moment Im trying to bulk up, but later Ill be wanting to cut in).

2/ does anyone know of a good internet site I can order whey protein from
i/ preferably cheap as poss.
ii/ preferably somewhere that i can pay by bank transfer (i dont have a credit card).
iii/ a brand that you have tried and would recommend.

Thanks v. much
falco

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Never listened to so much drivel in all my life. What an egotistical ass.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of an Idea moment yesterday in the grocery story yesterday but I can't decide if it's amazing or awful.

While I wait for my next whey protein container to arrive I'm exploring options for a cheap protein to 'water down' my use of it a bit.

Now that the hot weather hit my mart has a whole patbingsu section. I noticed the red beans 팥 are actually pretty reasonable priced. You can get 3 kg of it for 11,000won. And that's at Emart, which is generally pricey, so I'd expect there are better deals to be found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azuki_bean

Decent amounts of protein, carb, fiber. I'm not saying it's a wonder-food but in terms of what is readily available in Korea (beondaegi isn't my thing Razz ) it seems good.

So, FOR SCIENCE, and because I like patbingsu, I'm gonna try making a health-conscious patbingsu in the mornings as my pre-workout / breakfast. I'll let you know if I get diabetes.

(Why not just eat eggs? They convert me to a kind of roving Chernobyl in which no social life or employment situation could survive.)
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea is that you mix your sources of protein.

Im veggie so I have to eat a lot of peanuts, eggs, beans, shakes and porridge.

This also helps to avoid the Chernobyl scenario...
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some advice regarding whey protein powders. New to this game, so I don't know which brands are good, or where to buy them etc.
I'm trying to tone up (burn fat, build some muscle but not get too big etc). Is it worth trying the protein shakes? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falco wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

POssibly. But was there something he said that you objected to?

cj1976 wrote:
Need some advice regarding whey protein powders. New to this game, so I don't know which brands are good, or where to buy them etc.
I'm trying to tone up (burn fat, build some muscle but not get too big etc). Is it worth trying the protein shakes? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

"Toning up" has only so much to do with protein shakes - more to do with body fat percentages and caloric balance.

But, if you're looking for which protein brands are good, I usually head here. Then I look through most popular, and read the user reviews for the various flavors. Hint: don't buy anything rated under 7. lol

le-paul wrote:
I tried that bro-split you suggested last week/this week cap. kor., it works pretty good. Thanks!

1/ i want to start using more deadlifts or clean and jerks in with that routine, which day would be best to incorporate them? (eg legs day). Is it better to use them as a warm up or as a finishing exercise (considering that at the moment Im trying to bulk up, but later Ill be wanting to cut in).

ii/ preferably somewhere that i can pay by bank transfer (i dont have a credit card).

Thanks v. much

1. Personally, I'd put them into Back day. And it depends on why you're doing them. If you're looking to increase your totals, put them first in the workout, and put your focus on them.

2. BB.com is ok, but has nasty shipping unless you have base access.

I use either iHerb, or Monsterzyme.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
falco wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

POssibly. But was there something he said that you objected to?

cj1976 wrote:

"Toning up" has only so much to do with protein shakes - more to do with body fat percentages and caloric balance.

But, if you're looking for which protein brands are good, I usually head here. Then I look through most popular, and read the user reviews for the various flavors. Hint: don't buy anything rated under 7. lol

le-paul wrote:

Thanks v. much

1. Personally, I'd put them into Back day. And it depends on why you're doing them. If you're looking to increase your totals, put them first in the workout, and put your focus on them.

2. BB.com is ok, but has nasty shipping unless you have base access.

I use either iHerb, or Monsterzyme.

Cheers.

I just want to increase my core strength really. Ill give them a go on back days. Thanks - and thanks for the links too.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making a concerted effort to bulk these days and I thought I was doing a pretty good job of things, I've been making strength gains and feeling a bit bigger / seeing more definition all over.
But from my last bio-impedance assessment (about 6-8 weeks ago) to one this week I only gained .6kg of lean mass while gaining 2.4kg of fat.
I take those things with a grain of salt, but, assuming it is accurate,
is 1:4 higher than one should expect for a muscle:fat gain ratio during bulking? If so, does it indicate anything in particular that I am or an not doing?

I know you'll gain fat when trying to gain weight, but that seems a little too much. If I'm trying to reach ~+7kg muscle mass, having to gain and then lose ~28kg of fat at the same time.

I've been following this version of the bro-split:
(with the exception of dropping leg day and deadlifts for a couple weeks due to an ankle problem, I've got them back in at about 1/2 weight again now)

3 sets 4-6 reps
Monday: Chest and Abs
Flat Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Weighted Dip
Cable Crunch, Captain’s Chair Leg Raise, Bicyles

Day 2: Back
Barbell Deadlift , One-Arm Dumbbell Row , Close-Grip Lat Pulldown , Standing Calf Raise

DAY 3: Shoulders
Seated Barbell Military Press, Side Lateral Raise, Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise, Barbell Shrugs

DAY 4: Legs
Barbell Squat, Leg Press, Romanian Deadlift

DAY 5: Arms and Abs
Dumbbell Curl, Triceps Pushdown, Barbell Curl, Seated Triceps Press
Cable Crunch, Captain’s Chair Leg Raise, Bicyles
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gained 7 kgs in the last 6 weeks. im not sure how normal that is but it was quite realively, easily achieved. I put it down to the fact that Ive trained in the past/ muscle memory and all that
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
I gained 7 kgs in the last 6 weeks. im not sure how normal that is but it was quite realively, easily achieved. I put it down to the fact that Ive trained in the past/ muscle memory and all that

Oh snap man, congrats!

I've gotta get on what you're on...

....what are you on? j/k

But of the 7kg, how do you think it breaks down muscle / fat wise?

Can you give me a brief synopsis of your routine?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 49 of 51

Jump to: