Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unis sued for wrongful termination?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Unis sued for wrongful termination? Reply with quote

I know a few unis in Seoul have been successfully sued for wrongful termination.

Does anyone know the cases? I know a couple of but most them were breaking the four year rule. Any others?

I know some foreign teachers at SNU were looking to file a claim.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the 4 year rule?
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unis sued for wrongful termination? Reply with quote

Hatcher wrote:
I know a few unis in Seoul have been successfully sued for wrongful termination.

Does anyone know the cases? I know a couple of but most them were breaking the four year rule. Any others?

Good for them!

The way Koreans treat foreign instructors at universities is absolutely shameful. Foreign instructors must demand equal compensation, research support, benefits and access for academic promotion with clear and transparent criteria for pursuing long-term or permanent employment.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Unis sued for wrongful termination? Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
Hatcher wrote:

Good for them!

The way Koreans treat foreign instructors at universities is absolutely shameful. Foreign instructors must demand equal compensation, research support, benefits and access for academic promotion with clear and transparent criteria for pursuing long-term or permanent employment.

Is this for equal qualification? Still lots with Bachelors floating around.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4 year rule states that if you've been working there for 4 years, you are considered full time staff, and they'd have a harder time not renewing you without justifiable cause.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know of several people who have sued their univs and have won, mostly it goes back to the requirement that private univs need to tell you 4 months in advance they arent going to renew you in order to give you a chance to appeal. One guy got a years salary to sit on his butt there and do nothing, wish i had known the rule a few years ago, i would be told in dec or january i wasn't being renewed, could have made a mint.

dont think that happens as much now as result of these suits, univs have wised up recently
Hatcher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you name those unis?

I didnt know the 4 months before not renewing but thought once you are there for 4 years they cant terminate you.

I know Sejong, Kondae and SNU lost cases.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatcher wrote:
Can you name those unis?

I didnt know the 4 months before not renewing but thought once you are there for 4 years they cant terminate you.

I know Sejong, Kondae and SNU lost cases.

Sejong was the one I knew of, at my last univ people went through the appeals process a couple won and a couple lost

Hongik could have been sued over that one too, I was told the end of December I wasnt being renewed.

my second most recent univ didn't bother to tell me until mid Jan but I already decided to leave in early Dec still pretty scummy if I had been counting on my job there
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
Hongik could have been sued over that one too, I was told the end of December I wasnt being renewed.

So you didn't take legal action again Hongik, then, if you moved on to a different university. Why didn't you?

Are you aware of any cases against Hongik?

I'm not close to the situation / people at Hongik now, but people on this board have said in the past it was 2 years and then re-evaluation for an additional 2 years. Then that was it, no further renewals.

However, I've heard from a couple of people that they thought that Hongik was now allowing teachers to stay beyond the 4 year limit and possibly indefinitely.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

So you didn't take legal action again Hongik, then, if you moved on to a different university. Why didn't you?

I'm not close to the situation / people at Hongik now, but people on this board have said in the past it was 2 years and then re-evaluation for an additional 2 years. Then that was it, no further renewals.

However, I've heard from a couple of people that they thought that Hongik was now allowing teachers to stay beyond the 4 year limit and possibly indefinitely.

4 year rule at Hongik is out, many people I know there have been there over a decade. My last univ also dumped its 4 year rule, you can stay indefinitely unless you are in the bottom 20% of the student evals for 2 straight semesters

regarding suing Hongik, we weren't aware of the rule at the time. I really thought about suing the univ I was at after Hongik but since I had landed a much better job, I decided against it
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

4 year rule at Hongik is out, many people I know there have been there over a decade. My last univ also dumped its 4 year rule, you can stay indefinitely unless you are in the bottom 20% of the student evals for 2 straight semesters

regarding suing Hongik, we weren't aware of the rule at the time. I really thought about suing the univ I was at after Hongik but since I had landed a much better job, I decided against it

Thanks. Good for those who are there now. Did Hongdae decide that it wasn't in their interest to mess with foreign instructors?

You gotta take it to these pricks to make them honest. Otherwise, they abuse their foreign staff.
GENO123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You gotta take it to these pricks to make them honest. Otherwise, they abuse their foreign staff.
There is no way to make them honest and abusing foreign staff is what the big famous Korean universities do. Foreign instructors at big Korean Universities are far lower than the office or administrative staff. Indeed they are even lower than the cleaning ladies or the guards at the front gate. Most Korean universities are full of themselves and foreign teachers are often treated worse than servants. If someone takes employment with one of the big famous schools they ought to expect to be treated badly That is just the way it is.

Now at some schools foreign instructors have to take the TOEFL to prove themselves. With them it is just one thing after another along with low pay.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Most Korean universities are full of themselves and foreign teachers are often treated worse than servants.

Foreign instructors at big Korean Universities are far lower than the office or administrative staff.

That's right. We always rank below the local staff. In fact, many Korean staff consider themselves our bosses.

We are the lowest ranked on the employment scale.

Best you know your place, if you want to stay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: