Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ending Iphone contract early...pay off phone to use elswhere

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Ending Iphone contract early...pay off phone to use elswhere Reply with quote

My current job contract is up at the end of the month. I've considered looking for a new job in Korea but it's probably time to either go home or try a new country to teach in.

Anyway...........

In January 2014 I signed a 2 year Iphone 5 contract. What I want to do is cancel the contract but pay off the balance that I still owe on the Iphone device fee (a certain amount of my monthly bill goes towards paying off the Iphone). Hopefully I can have an Iphone that is mine to take to another country and to use where ever I go.

Since I am certain that I am never coming back to Korea I'm not too concerned about just saying to hell with it and not paying off the phone. However it's always best to pay your bills. Also, I have paid off a good chunk of the Iphone already and I want to have an Iphone (I would have to buy a new Iphone if I don't pay this one off and have the phone unlocked).

I could always try to have someone take over my contract but there are a so many little things to sort out when leaving Korea and that would just be one more thing. Not to mention that I actually do want to keep the phone.

I'm going to call KT English customer service tomorrow morning but has anyone ever cancelled an Iphone contract early, paid off the device and successfully used the the phone back/home in another country? Hopefully I can pay off the device here and have it activated on another carrier in the country that I live in next.

OK....thanks for reading the details...ha ha.

Thanks in advance for any info/insight.
dazzed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning to cancel your contract, you'll have to pay off the remaining amount left on the phone itself when you signed up. Also you have to pay the month of time you spent using the phone for the service. After that, the phone is yours. Just remember when you take the phone to another country, if the hardware matches the carrier's specs. At times, not all of the function on the phone isn't available, especially LTE.

If you want to let somebody take over the contract on the phone, you'll have to take that person to an official carrier of your phone. Both of you must have ARC, and bankbook. The process will take you about 20mins.
You might have to go on a weekday. (this part i'm not sure)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: