Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Places For A Mini Retirement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Best Places For A Mini Retirement? Reply with quote

I met a guy who said he lived in Angeles City, Philippines on $400 a month. That's pretty good. One month's salary in Korea could pay for 6 months of no work. Where else could one take a long vacation for 6 months or so and not spend much?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a mini-retirment right now in Seoul. Cool

I'm surprised so many people in the developed world spend their lives working. I retired at 42, hell on my final year salary alone I could live 30yrs in the Philippines. I say do some travel, enjoy a mini-retirement, work again if you like, or don't.

* Philippines of course, but Angeles is a nasty dump. There are some real pretty places out in the country, people are friendly, and prices are low. Food is crap though.

* China, but not Shanghai/Beijing, somewhere out in the country. Cheap prices the further out you go. Of course they don't have beaches, but food is tasty.

* Vietnam is on my list, but haven't checked it out yet. Seems like it would be similar price wise as the Philippines.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best Places For A Mini Retirement? Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
I met a guy who said he lived in Angeles City, Philippines on $400 a month. That's pretty good. One month's salary in Korea could pay for 6 months of no work. Where else could one take a long vacation for 6 months or so and not spend much?

$400/month won't give you much of a life in metro Philippines. It will work if you want the backpacker lifestyle.

It will work out in some of the smaller towns if you don't mind living like a Filipino. (one room, no A/C, no cable TV. etc).

Realistically, a westerner will need about $1000 / month to live comfortably (by western standards) for a mini retirement just about everywhere in the ASEAN block. $800 would be do-able outside of the major metro areas.

IF you have a Pinay wife and have someplace to build a small home then $400 is certainly attainable but will still lack many of the modern conveniences.

Our monthly household budget in the Phils (family of 3 and not in the NCR):

rent = 0 (we own our own home)
electric - $100 (we don't have A/C).
cooking gas - $30/month
satellite TV - $30 (I like to have TV in English)
internet $30
Phone - $30 (2 phones)
Food - $200
transportation - $40 for fuel.

Rents vary widely.
One room studios run about $100/month all over the region (Phils, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand)
Houses in the metro areas run from $300-800 depending on area, size, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: