Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

''No seats for parents with kids'
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: ''No seats for parents with kids' Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2014/09/399_163597.html

I, for one, agree with the restaurants who ban children because I have seen on too many occasions Korean parents who just let their child wander about restaurants without a care about what the child is up to.

I also think it is harsh but until more Korean parents start acting up to their responsibility as parents then tough luck.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My kids have the right to enter any cafe or restaurant," the 33-year-old Seoulite said.

Yes, that is true, but she doesn't have the right to interrupt everyone else's experience. A screaming child and a child that is running around the restaurant bothering other patrons is beyond annoying, especially in a coffee shop.
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this part:

Jeong Soon-ok, a college student, does admit that her experience at a restaurant in Sinsa-dong, southern Seoul, wasn't all that enjoyable because of a child who walked from table to table stealing peoples' salt and pepper shakers.

"At first it was cute, but when the meals were served, we needed the salt shaker. So we took it from him and he just fell on his bottom and started screaming," she said. "The mother then came and started telling us off for forcibly taking the child's ‘toy' away. I didn't know what to say in response."

That mother needs to be slapped repeatedly.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a liquor license and call it a bar. Presto, no one under 18/19.

Seoul Galbi Bar.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My kids have the right to enter any cafe or restaurant," the 33-year-old Seoulite said.

Isn't it private property, and hence the owners choice?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

Isn't it private property, and hence the owners choice?

No. Private property which is a business open to the public must be used in accordance with law.
sligo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many parents with children protested, saying that this is a violation of equal rights.

Choi Jung-soon, who raised two children, aged six and eight, said this is a clear example of an equal rights violation.

Actually the Jesus freaks and happy clappers have stopped any equality laws from passing due to not wanting homosexuals to be treated as equal (even though Jesus told them to love everybody). So, you have no equality rights in this matter!

I wonder if she is as against the policy of banning foreigners entry for bars and clubs? Or is that discrimination not equal in severity?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Love this part:

Jeong Soon-ok, a college student, does admit that her experience at a restaurant in Sinsa-dong, southern Seoul, wasn't all that enjoyable because of a child who walked from table to table stealing peoples' salt and pepper shakers.

"At first it was cute, but when the meals were served, we needed the salt shaker. So we took it from him and he just fell on his bottom and started screaming," she said. "The mother then came and started telling us off for forcibly taking the child's ‘toy' away. I didn't know what to say in response."

I cried when I read this. I feel her pain and suffering. It's so traumatic to have your salt and pepper taken from your table by a child. Her human rights have been violated.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not simply ban those who disturb others? Sure, I've been bothered by kids running around restaurants here, but I've also been banned by a table full of drunk ajjoshis.

Ban the action, and those that do it, not the group.
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Why not simply ban those who disturb others? Sure, I've been bothered by kids running around restaurants here, but I've also been banned by a table full of drunk ajjoshis.

Ban the action, and those that do it, not the group.

Throwing out parents with rowdy kids after their meals are already ordered and being prepared would be a loss for the business. Telling them to never come back would cause a scene, at least if the customers in question are exemplified by the self-entitled parents quoted in the article. A ban is fine. I know my kids can be rowdy sometimes, and it means we rarely eat out. If a restaurant or Cafe told me my kids were not allowed, I'd understand, even if I might be a bit disappointed. I am of course highly appreciative of establishments that do make an effort to be child-friendly. The owner of my favorite coffee shop, for example, likes our kids do and will often help with them when we go. She goes above and beyond, so when it's time for coffee after work with co-workers or the like, I'm happy to steer that business towards her.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kid is very well behaved. Never had an issue in a restaurant.

Either way you slice it, this is a loss of business. But again, why not "punish" those that are being asses? Age is irrelevant - if you're bothering other tables, you can be asked to leave.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a babysitter. Has worked very well for many parents over the years.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Get a babysitter. Has worked very well for many parents over the years.

Or I simply won't go to those establishments. Fine. I'm really not that worried about it.

But again, my point is simple - why ban a whole group of people instead of banning the behavior?

I've had far more meals interrupted in Korea by drunks at a neighboring table than by kids.
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Either way you slice it, this is a loss of business. But again, why not "punish" those that are being asses? Age is irrelevant - if you're bothering other tables, you can be asked to leave.

If an owner wants to gamble on your kid being well behaved, that's fine. If he does not, that should be fine as well. It's his livelihood that is at stake here, he's in the best position to decide. Restaurants are pure luxury, so I see no reason why we should consider ourselves entitled to them.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

If an owner wants to gamble on your kid being well behaved, that's fine. If he does not, that should be fine as well. It's his livelihood that is at stake here, he's in the best position to decide. Restaurants are pure luxury, so I see no reason why we should consider ourselves entitled to them.

Korea is a place with very little discrimination laws, as already noted in this thread. According to the law here, you are right.

I wonder though, are you as comfortable with it in regards to gender, ethnicity, or disabilities?

Personally, I'm not a fan of discrimination, but I notice a number of posters on here lean more towards the establishment's rights.

/shrug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: