Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

''No seats for parents with kids'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaeguKid wrote:
Just got back from a nice galbi dinner. Small restaurant. Maybe 12 tables at the most. All have a grill. 6 tables were occupied, one them being the one I was at. Two had two dudes at each one. Minding their own and drinking soju. Quite a few bottles as their empties were quite piled up. They were drunk indeed. They were loud, but not swearing. I said loud, not shouting.

Not once did they get in the way of the hot coals. Not once did they go from table to table. Not once did they cry. Not once did they get demanding with the staff. Not once did their mom or dad have to deal with them.

It was an enjoyable dining experience. So yeah, I guess you can compare the two in that they are completely not the same!

So, not all drunks are obnoxious and/or a danger. But some are.

hmmmmm

Do you think we could apply that same lesson to another group being discussed here?
Mix1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I take it you're not a parent, Mix1? Your talk about how certain ppl should get more respect than others is telling.

This is more about rights than "respect" but if you want to morph my point into that (like morphing kids with drunks).. Ok then, to use your language, yes...certain people should get more respect than others... that's generally how the world works. Parents more than kids, teachers more than students, etc. I believe in a world where children respect elders and follow rules that adults make. Kids are at the bottom of the ladder rights-wise and as far as how they should act towards adults and it's been that way for all of history, but the current lax parenting trends are reversing that. That doesn't mean kids don't deserve some respect, or that adults are always right, but ultimately kids do have to respect adults more, in very least in the form of obeying adult rules and norms, while it shouldn't work the other way. (You don't take orders from your kid, do you?)

If I ever am a parent, I'll make my kids be quiet in restaurants or take them outside/home if they can't do so. This is because I respect others rights to eat at a restaurant in peace. Wish more parents could do the same.
Quote:

Maybe I'm funny in that if I meet someone, I start off giving them respect, no matter the age. I don't assume they are less than someone else simply because of age. Some old people are idiots and rude, some young people are awesome. Some people of all ages impress me - I try to give them that opportunity.

Children are "less than someone else" in terms of the rights they are granted and the freedoms they have. Do you disagree? Or do you let your kid have an even share in the family decisions, plans, etc.? Do you equally respect her preferences and wants, or does she get to call the shots equally? Probably not. Ultimately, she has to obey your rules and "respect" them more than you have to respect hers. And that's almost always a good thing.

How does that tie into the topic? By recognizing that adults should be able to make rules (including bans) and kids have to adhere to them. Again, not every restaurant will ban kids, but a certain type may, and in those cases those adult customers, deserve the "respect" to be able to make a choice to not eat around children in restaurants. And parents can chose a different restaurant.

If the current parenting trends were not so lax, it may never have come to this, but it is what it is.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding drunk dudes, I love these guys!!

Sat night a car was backing up slowly, honking, and some ajushi dude was clueless (hereafter referred to as "the dude"). Saw it all coming "why isn't the dude moving?". So eventually the car touches his shirt, moving at like 1 inch per hour. Dude goes crazy and confronts driver. Driver is like "dude just move". So dude storms off, but takes the route BEHIND the car which is still backing up. LMAO. So car touches him again. Dude cries out melodramatically. Driver gets out and goes and confronts him "dude what is your problem?". Dude rolls up sleeves and goes crazy. Adjuma wife holds him back screaming like on the K-drama. Security stands by and doesn't even watch. Adjuma yells "security!!!". Calmly security says "your drama is not our business mam". Eventually they get bored and go their separate ways.

Of course nobody murders anybody like would happen in the USA. Just some fun chest puffing on Saturday night. Get the hormones pumping, it's good for heath. Laughing
DaeguNL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Regarding drunk dudes, I love these guys!!

Sat night a car was backing up slowly, honking, and some ajushi dude was clueless (hereafter referred to as "the dude"). Saw it all coming "why isn't the dude moving?". So eventually the car touches his shirt, moving at like 1 inch per hour. Dude goes crazy and confronts driver. Driver is like "dude just move". So dude storms off, but takes the route BEHIND the car which is still backing up. LMAO. So car touches him again. Dude cries out melodramatically. Driver gets out and goes and confronts him "dude what is your problem?". Dude rolls up sleeves and goes crazy. Adjuma wife holds him back screaming like on the K-drama. Security stands by and doesn't even watch. Adjuma yells "security!!!". Calmly security says "your drama is not our business mam". Eventually they get bored and go their separate ways.

Of course nobody murders anybody like would happen in the USA. Just some fun chest puffing on Saturday night. Get the hormones pumping, it's good for heath. Laughing

I wouldn't be able to count how many of these shouting matches I've seen here. Only once have I ever seen a guy throw a punch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: