Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best job in Korea, maybe ESL world
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GENO123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman Holiday wrote:
GENO123 wrote:
Contact hours have nothing to do with anything

They do if you want a life outside of work. Very Happy
only if you are actually free when class is over. If you have to correct a lot of stuff then u r not free. So that is why contact hours mean nothing

It is only total work and trouble versus compensation.

As i said contact hourshave nothing to do with anything
GENO123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman Holiday wrote:
GENO123 wrote:

only if you are actually free when class is over. If you have to correct a lot of stuff then u r not free. So that is why contact hours mean nothing

As i said contact hours means nothing
jackson7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO, you d-bag. Stop trolling every uni thread that pops up with your endless misinformation. Your hyperbole and overgeneralizations serve to do nothing more than continuously out you as one with little to no real knowledge of what actually goes in universities, nor of what is required. Keep touting yourself as the Korean uni expert by posting links to your previous attempts to troll on Dave's. Little to nothing you have posted has ever been substantiated by anything resembling credible evidence.
GENO123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackson7 wrote:
GENO, you d-bag. Stop trolling every uni thread that pops up with your endless misinformation. Your hyperbole and overgeneralizations serve to do nothing more than continuously out you as one with little to no real knowledge of what actually goes in universities, nor of what is required. Keep touting yourself as the Korean uni expert by posting links to your previous attempts to troll on Dave's. Little to nothing you have posted has ever been substantiated by anything resembling credible evidence.

My information is very accurate and it is about time posted on what really goes one at the big famous schools .If you have a problem with the then you are welcome to refute the numbers. Just don't be so vague when you do it . Only those with no real answer hide by being vague. Everything you post is a pro university cliche. The only misinformation is what you post cause you are nothing but an apologist for big Korean universities. . What you do is really sinister actually. (d bag that ) Don't pretend you know anything about anyone. In fact from you posts it doesn't seem you know how do anything save post pro university propaganda.I am not impressed with you nor do I respect you and you are in no position to be ordering anyone. Got it? Anyway here we go again . If you have a problem with the numbers or any other information well it is not my board. (it is not your board either just remember)

ttp://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=233809&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

At the top 40-50 universities" You can more or less sum it up this way : (e.g., actual working hours always being longer, sudden firings being common, salaries being low, no respect given to foreign faculty, etc.

Please see:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=233809&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

And more more if someone makes money because of extra work it is not because of the University but in spite of the University . If someone gets caught they will be punished. Remember the in charge Korean professors and sanctimonious as hell If you are at a big school it is like being the driver with someone in the back seat of the car with a gun . Drive. Make a mistake and you are dead Yep great job. (While it isn't as bad if you happen to be a non male) working one of 40 -50 the top schools usually is just not a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLCL6OYbSTw (2: 4 8 )

If a hogwon that paid 2.3 decided to say they paid 3.0 because they also provided housing , airfare and severance they would get flamed for it. 2.3 +300 + 200 + 200 =3m

Just for a start when calculating salaries I think it is fair for Universities and hogwons to be judged according to the same standard.More importantly contact hours/ teaching hours means ZERO. What counts is is total work (and trouble ) compared to compensation.

Can one support a family and pay back loans on 2.6 ~ 2.8 ?

Is "HIRE ( FIRE) , AND PRUNE THE DEAD WOOD" for 36 –44 million (includes everything ) a year (big schools) before ANY and ALL l DEDUCTIONS that good of a job anyway? (remember also sky is the limit with unpaid extra work)

Remember after deductions the salary is MUCH LESS than the number above. Remember if one uses the same scale for measuring a hogwon (which is a terrible job ) and applies it to a university then the University job will now come out as paying much less. It doesn't sound like a good job because it isn't .

By the way you forgot the J7
Roman Holiday

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Roman Holiday wrote:
GENO123 wrote:

As i said contact hourshave nothing to do with anything

Well, I can only tell you from direct experience that working at a university in Seoul was not too taxing on my leisure time. Sure, I was busy from time to time grading, but that was only for short periods. Once the exams were marked and grades entered, I enjoyed a near ten week holiday.

After being out of the game for a few years, I'll fly back in on a tourist visa and start applying for the uni jobs. If I can't find a half decent job, I'll look at it as a 3 month Korean holiday and fly back home. Smile
GENO123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beause something worked or sort of worked out several years ago doesn't mean it still works as well or even works at all.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Just beause something worked or sort of worked out several years ago doesn't mean it still works as well or even works at all.

There are too many ex-korea posters on here claiming that everything is the same as it was when they were here.

The job scene is virtually unrecognizeable compared to even three years ago. A lot of these guys couldn't score a job in korea now if their lives depended on it.
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatcher wrote:
Saudi is like an open air prison. Further, BAE is for UK citizes only.

You're right, Saudi is pretty dull but Bahrain is just across the bridge from BAE and that offers a lot of what we westerners miss in KSA. Also, BAE most definitely does not only employ Brits. Sure, the majority are British but There are a substantial number from all the other usual suspect countries.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
GENO123 wrote:

There are too many ex-korea posters on here claiming that everything is the same as it was when they were here.

The job scene is virtually unrecognizeable compared to even three years ago. A lot of these guys couldn't score a job in korea now if their lives depended on it.

THIS^

10 years ago - 5 years ago stuff doesn't cut it.

There was a time when people would stop you on the street and ask you if you could teach them. I remember having the owner of a school stop me as I was walking by his school and ask if I wanted a job. E-mail a few recruiters and you would have several job offers in a few days. My first year in Korea, I worked at a hakwon that bumped the base pay 100,000, then another 100,000, to get me to work for it.

If I was the average 26 year old Joe on the streets nowadays, I would probably be lucky to find a school that paid the same as my first job here. And, I wouldn't be surprised if it took several recruiters and several weeks/months to get a job offer.

If I was new to this market, I would be headed to China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: