Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone taken their Hagwon to court/labor off. and won?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rehab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won a lawsuit against my hagwon owner for improper termination. Apparently that inspired him to treat his employees much better- for a month or so. Then he went back to his old ways. I don't know if those types of people would ever change their ways.
VFRinterceptor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpity bump bump.

good stuff here.

I might need to go to the labor board myself next month.
silverquill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it wasn't a hagwon, but a private school, so similar. The issue was unpaid time - canceled six weeks of winter camp and did not provide other work, although we made it clear that we were willing to do whatever, but their position was, "Now work, no pay." Still a violation of the contract and immigration laws that require employers to provide full-time employment to their E-2 visa holders.

We consulted with a labor attorney, but the retainer was 1/2 million won, plus 20% of any judgment. We had someone help us file a simple one page form, and had an interview within two weeks.

When we arrived, we waited for an hour for representatives from the school to arrive, and we spent the whole time just meeting with them. In the end, we accepted a settlement (which they tried to get out of after we left) and in the end got our money.

My observation is that schools we settle rather than have a judgment issued against them by the Labor Dept.! It can be really damaging to them. So, if you've got a just case, stand your ground and don't be intimidated.
StavvioD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the labour board will deal with unpaid holiday pay? My company did'nt pay me mine, and now I am on the extension of my contract, they're telling me they don't need to because the original contract has expired. Several arguements later, and promising they "will look into it", I still haven't got my pay...Grrrrrrrr!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StavvioD wrote:
Does anyone know if the labour board will deal with unpaid holiday pay? My company did'nt pay me mine, and now I am on the extension of my contract, they're telling me they don't need to because the original contract has expired. Several arguements later, and promising they "will look into it", I still haven't got my pay...Grrrrrrrr!

Yes, they will deal with annual vacation and "pay in lieu of" / unpaid wages issues.

(there is no "holiday pay" in Korea.

mermaidpower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is great.

Has anyone ever taken a hagwon to the labor board over a problem with severance?

My contract is technically 3 days shy of a year, but since I knew that before I signed I had them change the wording in my contract so it says "Employer shall pay employee 1 months salary as severance payment upon completion of contract, in accordance with payment regulations."

But they are cheap and I know the dates aren't on my side, so I could see them deciding on the last day not to pay my severance.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mermaidpower wrote:
This thread is great.

Has anyone ever taken a hagwon to the labor board over a problem with severance?

My contract is technically 3 days shy of a year, but since I knew that before I signed I had them change the wording in my contract so it says "Employer shall pay employee 1 months salary as severance payment upon completion of contract, in accordance with payment regulations."

But they are cheap and I know the dates aren't on my side, so I could see them deciding on the last day not to pay my severance.

If it goes to the labor board you will lose (by 3 days). The law is specific that you need a FULL CALENDAR YEAR or more to qualify. 364 days and you lose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: