Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtain Chinese travel visa while I'm in USA, or Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Obtain Chinese travel visa while I'm in USA, or Korea? Reply with quote

I want to visit my buddy in China when I get to Korea.

He said I should apply for the visa while I'm still here in the U.S. because it's notoriously difficult to get a travel visa (or any other) while living in Korea.

I'll be on a U.S. SOFA visa, (A3) while in Korea.

My visit will only be about 4 days total.

I called the Chinese embassy here, they said I should wait till I get to Korea to apply for a tourist visa. But they said a bunch of other things I couldn't understand and I finally gave up.

Anyone know what the deal is? Will I be able to travel to China from Korea on a visa obtained in Houston, TX.?

Thanks in advance
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Chinese visa for U.S. passport holders has been changed to 10-year multiple entry by default rather recently.

Although you might not have any plan to visit China for the second time within the foreseeable future after your 4-day trip, Chinese visa fee you must pay is flat regardless of the number of entry. So, it is naturally sensible to get that 10-year multiple entry visa on your passport.

Having said that, it is always better to get Chinese visa in your home country than any other. Your Korean visa status would be of concern for the Chinese consulate IN KOREA if you apply in Korea, it can't be for the Chinese consulate in Texas.

However, you might still need to figure out whether you still need to submit a return ticket in and out of China plus itinerary/hotel reservation, etc. for your initial visit as required documents, even for the 10-year visa. Those made sense for single-entry tourist visas, but obviously counter-intuitive for a multiple entry visa. Nevertheless, this requirement may still be enforced.

If that's really the case with your local Chinese consulate, then you might as well book a fully refundable full-fare flight ticket to China AND some online hotel reservation with option for deposit refund for visa purpose, get your visa, and cancel your U.S.-China ticket and hotel reservation afterwards.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay that makes sense. Thanks a lot Jake.
northway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off of anecdote and common sense, I really don't see how it would be an issue if you get one in the States. They're not going to refuse to issue you one, and once you get to China it doesn't matter - you had a layover in Korea, whether it be three hours or three weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: