Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Canada is a great country
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip, Canadians:

It's rude to go out of your way to insult Americans. If you do that, don't be surprised if they insult you back.
EastisEast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Shaitan ! The Beast with 7 Backs! Pirate Country!!

I'm joking. It's not all bad, I've been there 3 times ! Lol.

American history is a Horror Show! You must admit that World Traveller.

From its beginning to its awaited Radioactive Wasteland ending.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastisEast wrote:
American history is a Horror Show!

No it's not. You just think it is because you are Canadian (a recipient of Commonwealth propaganda from a young age).

Americans made many badass inventions that completely altered the course of humanity and the world is much better off because of it.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Wow what a shock. A thread about Canada deteriorates into a peepee contest between Americans and Canadians. Nothing ever changes.

Yes, but look how long it took for it to degenerate.

Progress.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
EastisEast wrote:

No it's not. You just think it is because you are Canadian (a recipient of Commonwealth propaganda from a young age).

Americans made many badass inventions that completely altered the course of humanity and the world is much better off because of it.

Commonwealth propoganda?

The Commonwealth is like the Holy Roman Empire of the 21st century, completely irrelevant, but somehow seems to survive way past the sell by date.

Of all the former settler colonies I think Canada and New Zealand show today that despite the horror of colonialism, something good was able to come of it all. As a Brit your identity carries a lot of baggage, but at least you can shrug and point to those two countries and point out it weren't all bad.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
EastisEast wrote:

Commonwealth propoganda?

The Commonwealth is like the Holy Roman Empire of the 21st century, completely irrelevant, but somehow seems to survive way past the sell by date.

Of all the former settler colonies I think Canada and New Zealand show today that despite the horror of colonialism, something good was able to come of it all. As a Brit your identity carries a lot of baggage, but at least you can shrug and point to those two countries and point out it weren't all bad.

You left out Australia. Wow. What's wrong with Australia that isn't going on in Canada or New Zealand?
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
aq8knyus wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
EastisEast wrote:

Commonwealth propoganda?

You left out Australia. Wow. What's wrong with Australia that isn't going on in Canada or New Zealand?

I sort of think if Britain should feel ashamed of any countries it had hand in creating, the US and Australia would be top of the list.

I don't mean that as a diss and I know that both countries are powerful with great dynamic economies, however, they are not really the shining city upon a hill type of country that inspires the world.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
aq8knyus wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
EastisEast wrote:

Commonwealth propoganda?

I sort of think if Britain should feel ashamed of any countries it had hand in creating, the US and Australia would be top of the list.

I don't mean that as a diss and I know that both countries are powerful with great dynamic economies, however, they are not really the shining city upon a hill type of country that inspires the world.

I don't get it. I mean Canada and New Zealand have a similar history of maltreatment of indigenous/aboriginals. I'm just trying to get a sense of what you think went wrong in the US and Australia that went right in Canada and New Zealand?
EastisEast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't get it. I mean Canada and New Zealand have a similar history of maltreatment of indigenous/aboriginals. I'm just trying to get a sense of what you think went wrong in the US and Australia that went right in Canada and New Zealand?

Whaaa ?

Should we list all the demonic, sick, dumbfoundedly stupid things the US did...all this in the face of overwelming moral world opposition?

Like a sick man, continually harassing people on a bus?

Like a child with a bazooka? Like a fat boy with no money in a cake shop?

But to be fair again, you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs. You can't have EMPIRE without a little extermination, slavery and mass death. All empires have that on them. I love Russian history, but even they are blood soaked.

Russian Proverb: "When you chop down a forest, the chips must fly"
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
aq8knyus wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
aq8knyus wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
EastisEast wrote:

Commonwealth propoganda?

I don't get it. I mean Canada and New Zealand have a similar history of maltreatment of indigenous/aboriginals. I'm just trying to get a sense of what you think went wrong in the US and Australia that went right in Canada and New Zealand?

The history is indeed similar, although a lot more brutal in Australia and the US as the settler communities had more power.

I am really talking about the modern countries and factors beyond the treatment of indigenous peoples, although on that point alone Australia fails abysmally in comparison. Both Canada and New Zealand have been the most socially progressive countries in the Anglosphere for quite a while now and I don't think that will change.

Not to mention that both CA & NZ both have a far higher standing in the world than the US, UK or Oz.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastisEast wrote:
But to be fair again, you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs. You can't have EMPIRE without a little extermination, slavery and mass death. All empires have that on them. I love Russian history, but even they are blood soaked.

He without sin....

It is not an issue of who killed more, it is an issue of what kind of society has been forged by the people. On that basis alone Canada far outstrips the US, but that doesn't mean the US is a blood soaked monster.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
aq8knyus wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
aq8knyus wrote:

The history is indeed similar, although a lot more brutal in Australia and the US as the settler communities had more power.

I am really talking about the modern countries and factors beyond the treatment of indigenous peoples, although on that point alone Australia fails abysmally in comparison. Both Canada and New Zealand have been the most socially progressive countries in the Anglosphere for quite a while now and I don't think that will change.

Not to mention that both CA & NZ both have a far higher standing in the world than the US, UK or Oz.

So is this about the fact that Canada and New Zealand are marginally more redistributionist, or simply more economically 'fair' than the U.S. or Australia? Also because Canada and New Zealand would beat Australia and U.S. out in a global popularity contest?

If you're talking about colonial legacy, I would say the British have the best legacy compared to the other European powers, the U.S., Japan, or the Ottoman Empire. There is not a lot of difference between Oz and U.S. and Canada and New Zealand. They are all very similar countries.

EastisEast wants to poke at U.S. foreign policy, but that's not necessarily what I'm reading from your post that drives you to categorize Oz and the US apart.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastisEast wrote:
Quote:
don't get it. I mean Canada and New Zealand have a similar history of maltreatment of indigenous/aboriginals. I'm just trying to get a sense of what you think went wrong in the US and Australia that went right in Canada and New Zealand?

Whaaa ?

Should we list all the demonic, sick, dumbfoundedly stupid things the US did...all this in the face of overwelming moral world opposition?

Like a sick man, continually harassing people on a bus?

Like a child with a bazooka? Like a fat boy with no money in a cake shop?

Russian Proverb: "When you chop down a forest, the chips must fly"

Yes, yes, American foreign policy is a horror-show. Canadians like yourself are also supremely obnoxious when you go on about it in this way (i.e. as pissing contest rather than substantive criticism or through sincere policy discussion). Remember that there are more Americans just as virulently opposed to American foreign policy than there are Canadians in Canada.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:

So is this about the fact that Canada and New Zealand are marginally more redistributionist, or simply more economically 'fair' than the U.S. or Australia? Also because Canada and New Zealand would beat Australia and U.S. out in a global popularity contest?

Pretty much.

I would say though that international standing is very important and not simply a 'popularity' contest. I would also say that the progressive values of CA & NZ are continually far ahead of those of the US & Oz.

I am supportive of and thankful for everything the US and Oz does to maintain the benefits of western global hegemony. However, Canada and New Zealand have come closest to making peace with its past and are model societies for the world to follow.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:

Pretty much.

I would say though that international standing is very important and not simply a 'popularity' contest. I would also say that the progressive values of CA & NZ are continually far ahead of those of the US & Oz.

I am supportive of and thankful for everything the US and Oz does to maintain the benefits of western global hegemony. However, Canada and New Zealand have come closest to making peace with its past and are model societies for the world to follow.

Leaving aside the U.S. for a minute, which has particular differences (it rebelled from UK rule, it is a huge, aggressive Empire), I am still puzzled with distinguishing Australia from Canada and New Zealand. Is this because Australia is simply so damned racist sometimes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: