Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Korea a better option than China?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHGator428

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Is Korea a better option than China? Reply with quote

Sounds like the wages there have stagnated and there is lots of competition these days. China doesn't have that problem.

Took a screen shot of this in case it disappears like the last harmless China/Korea thread did.

Took screen shots of those harmless posts from that other started thread that went poof as well. Can contact the host server for egregious activity if need be.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is Korea a better option than China? Reply with quote

SHGator428 wrote:
Sounds like the wages there have stagnated and there is lots of competition these days. China doesn't have that problem.

Took a screen shot of this in case it disappears like the last harmless China/Korea thread did.

Took screen shots of those harmless posts from that other started thread that went poof as well. Can contact the host server for egregious activity if need be.

If money is your goal, then you can find ways and means to make a pretty penny in either China or Korea. Although if money is your goal and your academic record or business acumen isn't too hot, you would be better off learning a trade.

I would be more interested in hearing about which is better for those who are qualified and professional teachers. The hostility to non-native teachers in Korea would lead me to belive that it was a better bet than China.
SHGator428

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is Korea a better option than China? Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
SHGator428 wrote:

If money is your goal, then you can find ways and means to make a pretty penny in either China or Korea. Although if money is your goal and your academic record or business acumen isn't too hot, you would be better off learning a trade.

I would be more interested in hearing about which is better for those who are qualified and professional teachers. The hostility to non-native teachers in Korea would lead me to belive that it was a better bet than China.

Thanks for the response. So, do you think that noobs are better off going to Korea or China?

My experience says noobs are better suited to Korea.
Qonny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is Korea a better option than China? Reply with quote

SHGator428 wrote:

Your original Korea vs China post was troll bait, as you well know.
SHGator428

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is Korea a better option than China? Reply with quote

Qonny wrote:
SHGator428 wrote:

Your original Korea vs China post was troll bait, as you well know.

How so, Qonny?
Qonny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cant remember what it said verbatim, but it was along the lines of "What's better K or C? I think China is better. Korea sux haha"
SHGator428

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qonny wrote:
It cant remember what it said verbatim, but it was along the lines of "What's better K or C? I think China is better. Korea sux haha"

The thread said China was better based on opinion from having lived in both places. Nobody said one place or the other "sucked" (selective memory?) Another poster agreed. It disappeared for whatever reason shortly afterwards.

If people here want to be so sensitive about things and delete threads, whatever. Just keep in mind that the host server will be alerted when it happens with screen shots.
Qonny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when you said it was deleted i was not surprised in the least. So perhaps your perception isnt the same as others. I also recall you moaning in the off topic forum that there were too many anti Chinese posts.

Its not as though you are going to get people defending Korea here. Daves is basher central for the most part.
SHGator428

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qonny wrote:
Well when you said it was deleted i was not surprised in the least. So perhaps your perception isnt the same as others. I also recall you moaning in the off topic forum that there were too many anti Chinese posts.

Its not as though you are going to get people defending Korea here. Daves is basher central for the most part.

It wasn't moaning. A bunch of threads popped up clowning Chinese all of the sudden. I mentioned it. What's the problem with that? I know that Ks, lived in Kland dudes for a long time and married to K dudes clown Chinese on this board. Whatever....it's your guy's thing to do that.
You seem to be the guy defending without knowing wtf you are trying to defend. Grow up and talk to me in a few years>
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is good if you are new to Asia but then Thailand is even better, it depends if you are paying off bills back home, if you aren't then I would say head to Thailand but then that place has its issues.

Korea is a lot safer with better pay but then you are dealing with a very hierarchical workplace culture which revolves around age - as a young, female foreigner - you had better keep your mouth shut and it is suited better to people who can let things go and don't care about being 'right' or getting in the last word. If you are one of those people who like to be right, like to debate issues and come out on top or like to get the last word in - then give Korea a miss.

China is for people with a couple of years of Asia under their belt. Not a place for wimps, whingy people who start crying because they can't get Mexican food that tastes as good as it does in Dallas - you know who I mean - yeah, them - we all know one of those, the kind of person who will travel two hours on a bus on their weekend off because they can't live without Monterey Jack cheese.

If you can get over those challenges though, China has loads to offer both in and outside of work. It is really a great place to live but it takes time to get used to, took me two years.
Qonny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHGator428
Yeah because no one ever says anything insulting or "clown" on any other nationality

Dont take it personally. Its the internet. Everyone pisses on everyone.

If you are in China and enjoying it, i'm very proud of you. Its no secret China, at least as far ESL is concerned, is on the way up and may very soon overtake Korea as the best bang for your buck. It's not a competition. Every country has its ups and downs.

You just seem to be on some pro China jag. A bit like the happyinhenan guy. Are you on the CCPs pay roll?
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHGator428 wrote:
Qonny wrote:

It wasn't moaning. A bunch of threads popped up clowning Chinese all of the sudden. I mentioned it. What's the problem with that? I know that Ks, lived in Kland dudes for a long time and married to K dudes clown Chinese on this board. Whatever....it's your guy's thing to do that.
You seem to be the guy defending without knowing wtf you are trying to defend. Grow up and talk to me in a few years>

I predict this thread will go the way of the others, but to get back to your question SHGator, I've heard from friends who have also worked in Korea that China is like Korea was awhile ago: cheap living costs and the money goes a long way. That's only what I've heard. Hope it helps.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qonny wrote:

You just seem to be on some pro China jag. A bit like the happyinhenan guy. Are you on the CCPs pay roll?

Your comprehension skillset seems to be lacking.

China is not an easy place to live in, it has its own issues, it is polluted in some parts (some parts are not), some of the locals are jerks, the censored internet is annoying.

But there are issues with Korea - I know a lot of people personally, friends of mine who are prospering - but it is not for me personally and I know a lot of people who hated Korea who love China.

What won't happen in China is you'll drop dead of carbon dioxide posioning if you breathe in the air deeply.

You aren't going to die early through the nasty pollution (though nasty pollution exists in some places).

Also, the Chinese workplace is a lot more relaxed and there are hardly any power plays at hand regarding desk warming for no reason, I have never ever warmed a desk ever in China whereas in Korea - I was the only teacher at my school to regaulary deskwarm whereas the Korean teachers all had turns deskwarming throughout the summer.

I get paid, never been ripped off and am left alone - that alone makes it better than Korea. If you are different - then all more power to you. Wink
SHGator428

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qonny wrote:

Yeah because no one ever says anything insulting or "clown" on any other nationality

Dont take it personally. Its the internet. Everyone pisses on everyone.

If you are in China and enjoying it, i'm very proud of you. Its no secret China, at least as far ESL is concerned, is on the way up and may very soon overtake Korea as the best bang for your buck. It's not a competition. Every country has its ups and downs.

A bit like the happyinhenan guy. Are you on the CCPs pay roll?

Get over yourself, dude. I've let far more anti Chinese shit slide on this forum than you have seen.
Koharski
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post was removed for 2 reasons.

1. It had the potential to start another flame-war in a thread the OP is involved in.

2. It was posted in the General Forum and is better suited to the Off-topic Forum.

Might want to take a screen-shot of the TOS for you to reference in the future. Pay close attention to the part about calling out the moderators.

Koharski
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: