Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China now was Korea in the 90's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

China now was Korea in the 90's. This is in terms of easily available jobs, the casualness of the locals as well as the teachers and of course the novelty of just being me. I feel like I stepped back in time to Korea in the 1990's.

I hope this feeling never dies.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which was probably Japan in the 70s or 80s. Give it another ten years.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
China now was Korea in the 90's. This is in terms of easily available jobs, the casualness of the locals as well as the teachers and of course the novelty of just being me. I feel like I stepped back in time to Korea in the 1990's.

I wonder if it will follow the same pattern as Korea. ie gradually tightening visa restrictions, teachers demonized as drug adicts, etc etc.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Zackback wrote:

I wonder if it will follow the same pattern as Korea. ie gradually tightening visa restrictions, teachers demonized as drug adicts, etc etc.

The Chinese are less racist but their government and society is more primitive. I would imagine frightful visa restrictions and very little increase in stigma.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:

The Chinese are less racist but their government and society is more primitive. I would imagine frightful visa restrictions and very little increase in stigma.

Whoa, them's fighting words to Han Chinese. You might see them as 'less racist ...' but that's not how the Han sees themselves. They are very proud to be racist and have an advanced civilization that is 5000+ years old. Well, they'll thank you for the information and will decidedly up their game.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:

Whoa, them's fighting words to Han Chinese. You might see them as 'less racist ...' but that's not how the Han sees themselves. They are very proud to be racist and have an advanced civilization that is 5000+ years old. Well, they'll thank you for the information and will decidedly up their game.

Well, I think there's a significant distinction in terms of what that identity means though. Han identity is linguistically based, and has historically amalgamated a number of other ethnicities (where did the Manchus go, one might ask). As such, a native speaker who was born and bred in China, particularly one with Han ancestry on one side, would have a much better chance of gaining acceptance into the culture than someone in the same situation would in Korea. The natural inclination in Korea is to reject those who aren't pure, while the natural inclination in China is to include those who adopt the language and culture. These are broad generalizations, but I think there's a marked difference in terms of who fits in and what it means to fit in.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:

Cultural chauvinism is not the same as racism. The Chinese are more inclusive than the Koreans. See northway's post above.
EastisEast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The natural inclination in Korea is to reject those who aren't pure, while the natural inclination in China is to include those who adopt the language and culture.

Not true.

How many times have my 'Chinese' friends who've been born in Canada or the US been rejected, scorned, laughed at when they go to China by the locals. They are seen as practical enemies! Spies!

There is culture, and with the PRC, there is politics. I wouldn't say 'culture' as long as there is a government like the one China has now ...

Government culture only allowed Rolling Eyes

And yes Korean culture is fairly racist. The movie Cloud Atlas took a swing at that issue with 'pure bloods' and others.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastisEast wrote:
Quote:
The natural inclination in Korea is to reject those who aren't pure, while the natural inclination in China is to include those who adopt the language and culture.

Not true.

How many times have my 'Chinese' friends who've been born in Canada or the US been rejected, scorned, laughed at when they go to China by the locals. They are seen as practical enemies! Spies!

There is culture, and with the PRC, there is politics. I wouldn't say 'culture' as long as there is a government like the one China has now ...

And yes Korean culture is fairly racist. The movie Cloud Atlas took a swing at that issue with 'pure bloods' and others.

I think this proves my point more than it disproves it.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastisEast wrote:

This may have been true in 90's and before, but from what I've been told by American Born Chinese (ABC's) who've traveled their within the last 10-ish years, attitudes may have changed. Maybe because of the government wanting to attract talented ABC's, or whatever, supposed locals have been more accepting of ethnic Chinese with awful Chinese language skills, and cultural awareness.

Anyways, the Chinese are for sure more accepting. Just look at the ethnic Koreans in China. If born in country, with ethnic ties from a bordering country, the government considers them Chinese citizens. As for Koreans, even after a few generations in Korea, Koreans are reluctant to accept foreigners as citizens. As for reasoning, each country has their own reasoning to openly-accept, or reject potential citizenry.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China varies place to place. Choose wisely.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-02-26/air-pollution-turned-this-chinese-city-into-a-ghost-town
metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember nightclubs in Suzhou not only dragging/begging foreigners to go to the clubs, but giving free beer and whisky to all foreigners in the club/s. Logic was foreign men = more Chinese girls = more Chinese guys. Horrible music and too crowded though, but quite different from clubs in Korea.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
EastisEast wrote:
Quote:

Not true.

LOL, yes, indeed it does.
EastisEast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
northway wrote:
EastisEast wrote:
Quote:

Not true.

Government culture only allowed

LOL, yes, indeed it does.

Yes, I'll concede that.

The ABC's I knew did not want to join the party.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastisEast wrote:
The ABC's I knew did not want to join the party.

You realize that less than 10% of the population belongs to the CPC, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: