Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

America, Sparkling!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrylos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:

The Russians want the Ukraine and they could just as easily want the country Thrylos is from unless of course............... Same with China. Sounds awful trite but its a fact and all these smaller countries know that. Without the USA it would be "Power to the people" or "Let a thousand flowers bloom. So trite but so true.

Greece is f'ed up. Royally. No Q. Partly our own fault thinking we could 'dupe' the 'dumb WEuropeans', partly the 'west's' for thinking they can change Greek attitudes towards 'the state' and 'western neo-liberalism'. Going the 'eastern Slav' route would be an unmitigated disaster.

"Greece is the bride of the East, mistress of the West." Hard to screw two people at once and not get caught or feel confused.

However, as throughout History, we are, once again, the 'guinea pig', the 'canary in the mine'.

First 'real' independent country to break away from an empire in the 'modern era', 1825.-- US was a geopolitical 'civil war' over the control of the New World resources and transAtlantic trading routes, France revolted against herself.
First Allied victory in WWII, 1939-40.
First ColdWar confrontation, 1945-49.
First country to protest current austerity,2010-- Spanish m-15 and Occupy was 2011.
2015?-- First country to say FU to 'international' creditors??--One can hope!! (OK, Iceland managed to do better earlier, but nowhere near on the short leash Greece has been on since 2007/Cool

But I digress. To call the US 'the best in 2015' is like saying 'my dong don't stink, so let me drop a deuce anywhere I want, and be thankful!'. Never making it comparative, just pointing out how stupid it sounds when using the superlative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpn0vh2Rj0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8UqdPKbpWM
tophatcat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
This:
rollo wrote:
i own a business that caters to expats. I often ban Canadians from my business. They are obsesseed with talking about the U.S. and comparing it with Canada. they are also obsessed with pointing out how bad things are in the U.S.. obseesed is a mild term let me assure you. they are boring boring boring, and irritate my customers to no end. So as it stands i generally have a Canadian ban because of their inane prattle. It is not hypernationalism it is an inferiority complex concerning their standing against the U.S. It baffles me. Why not compare with Germany, or Russia, or Tahiti. No one enjoying a pint of beer needs to be subjected to an attack/diatiribe about healthcare, or the war of 1812. No other nationality does this.

I think it is Canadian politicians who point to the U.S. to hide their own shortcomings perhaps.

THIS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: