Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China now was Korea in the 90's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastisEast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why be so literal? Join the party meaning to blend into chinese culture in China, not the Party. Not be a card holding, Mao loving member or whatever they do nowadays in the Communist Party Laughing
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to China many times. The air was really freaking polluted (at least where I was). That made it a really unpleasant place to be. Way more foreigners there now too compared to even a year before.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is Korea in the 90s if looking at starting salaries. Or close to it.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad. Prices have at least doubled since then. Working hours have gone up, too.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
China now was Korea in the 90's. This is in terms of easily available jobs, the casualness of the locals as well as the teachers and of course the novelty of just being me.

Have you done this?:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000003652442/rent-a-foreigner-in-china.html
Zackback

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Zackback wrote:
China now was Korea in the 90's. This is in terms of easily available jobs, the casualness of the locals as well as the teachers and of course the novelty of just being me.

Have you done this?:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000003652442/rent-a-foreigner-in-china.html

No I haven't but thanks for sending this. They would love to have a guy like me around. I have a way of attracting people.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Zackback wrote:
China now was Korea in the 90's. This is in terms of easily available jobs, the casualness of the locals as well as the teachers and of course the novelty of just being me. I feel like I stepped back in time to Korea in the 1990's.

I hope this feeling never dies.

I wonder if it will follow the same pattern as Korea. ie gradually tightening visa restrictions, teachers demonized as drug adicts, etc etc.

Try jumping through all the hoops to try to get a visa for China.

You must be from a tight country. Americans are allowed visaless entry into Korea (90 days).

Most all nations must prepare a visa before travel to China. Some perfectures such as Hong Kong are visaless. 3-day visaless travel to Beijing for example.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
China now was Korea in the 90's. This is in terms of easily available jobs, the casualness of the locals as well as the teachers and of course the novelty of just being me. I feel like I stepped back in time to Korea in the 1990's.

I hope this feeling never dies.

I was in Korea in the 90s, I much preferred the 00s.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you in Korea pre-financial crisis though? For the first half of the nineties (and a bit beyond) there was so much money to be made for any and all Westerners in the country teaching English, doing voice recording, editing, writing text books, etc. There was an unlimited supply of 50,000 per hour work for the few native English speakers around.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the KRW/USD exchange rate from 1982-1996. It was floating around 850. That's a lot different than the 1100 of the present. A +20% exchange advantage and plenty of opportunities for work.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: China now was Korea in the 90's Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
I was in Korea in the 90s, I much preferred the 00s.
This. The nothings, or aughts, were the equivalent of peak-oil for EFL in the ROK.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true. The (pre-1997) nineties were the best time for making boatloads of money. I've even talked to people here in Korea in late 80s (I've never met anyone who's lived here before that) who said the same (that there was tons of money to be made in 1988 for example I mean). From 1988 to 2008 (with the exception of the last part of 1997, 1998, and 1999) there was great money to made in Korea. But no more. Korea's gone the way of Japan. There's been a gradual deterioration over time. Compared to 1990, earnings potential for a Westerner now in 2015 is much, much less.
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Not true. The (pre-1997) nineties were the best time for making boatloads of money. I've even talked to people here in Korea in late 80s (I've never met anyone who's lived here before that) who said the same (that there was tons of money to be made in 1988 for example I mean). From 1988 to 2008 (with the exception of the last part of 1997, 1998, and 1999) there was great money to made in Korea. But no more. Korea's gone the way of Japan. There's been a gradual deterioration over time. Compared to 1990, earnings potential for a Westerner now in 2015 is much, much less.

Not just for westerners. There are no jobs for anyone and real wages have flatlined or declined.
SHGator428

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China is a nice place to live for foreigners. There are less Canadians and Americans and more UK citizens here in the ESL pool. I expect once the word gets out that it is a good option in the ESL market that will change.
Otus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you could make some good money in the early, mid and late 90's. (I started '96 so only got the tail end of the boom).

BUT and big BUT: there was no F visa for guys and the excessively restrictive E2 visa regulations on work locations came in in the 80's after the episode with the French guy.

BOTTOM LINE: you had to being doing something illegal to be making really good money. Many were - and it's just not the same as when you're legally making good coin although I know so many will shout to the contrary.

A few lifers I've known hit it big with the pensions by holding their uni gigs. That was the only legitimate big coin I saw. Again, I know so many will argue to the contrary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: