Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fromtheusa
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: fromtheusa Reply with quote

I plan to take a vacation to NYC in July/August. I want to visit Central Park Zoo, the Empire State Building, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and anything else that catches my interest!

Will news of my arrival in the US draw hordes of fans at JFK airport? (Delusional) Will I manage to look like I'm a nice person in public and hide the immense self-loathing that permeates the void that I call my life? (Yes, but only just)

Will I clam up when any woman shows the merest hint of interest in fromtheuk/fromtheusa? I think so, my social anxiety will ensure that will never change. Cool

I haven't been on vacation to anywhere other than England for 5 years so I need a break. I've been to the US before but not NYC. I'm getting a bit excited to be honest. Laughing
Stain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: fromtheusa Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
I plan to take a vacation to NYC in July/August. I want to visit Central Park Zoo, the Empire State Building, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and anything else that catches my interest!

Will news of my arrival in the US draw hordes of fans at JFK airport? (Delusional) Will I manage to look like I'm a nice person in public and hide the immense self-loathing that permeates the void that I call my life? (Yes, but only just)

Will I clam up when any woman shows the merest hint of interest in fromtheuk/fromtheusa? I think so, my social anxiety will ensure that will never change. Cool

I haven't been on vacation to anywhere other than England for 5 years so I need a break. I've been to the US before but not NYC. I'm getting a bit excited to be honest. Laughing

Don't worry. Anywhere in the US, you can get laid with mental problems. New York, even more so. However, that doesn't mean you will make it out alive.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from personal experience, eh? Thank you for the heads up. Laughing
FMPJ

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go to the Dream House.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will consider it.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend the MET over all other museums/galleries in NYC. I spent like 3 days in there.

I found the Empire State Building to be a waste of time and money because the 30 Rock building had like 1/10th of the line up and actually better views of central park and north NYC.

Freedom Tower is open now, I'd check that out if I were you. It was under construction the 3 times I was in NYC.

Broadway: I cannot recommend enough seeing a play or musical. Well worth the money.

Statue of Liberty: I took the ferry but got off at the stop after the Statue which is Elis Island I think...that was pretty cool and you get close enough to the Statue while on the Ferry to get all the pics you will ever want without having to deal with massive amounts of people down at the actual Statue.

Food: check out some guides online. NYC has some amazing food. Explore and find out yourself some of the awesomeness it has.

Be prepared to walk, a lot!
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living there currently, a few tips:

- get yourself an unlimited subway pass. It's only ~$31 for a week, which pays for itself pretty easily when you're talking $2.75/ride, regardless of distance. While you will still walk a lot, being able to hop a train to go four or five stops helps keeps the walking to a more manageable level.

- when determining where you're going to stay, access to express trains can make all the difference. Some places may look really far away but actually be only about 10 minutes from where you want to be if you catch an express, while others might appear close but actually have really poor subway connectivity.

- the ferry tour over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island can be pretty pricey. An alternative is to take the free Staten Island Ferry, which won't drop you off at these destinations, but will allow you to get out on the harbor and snap some photos.

- Times Square is a terrible place and basically looks like Korea. Avoid.

- Midtown Manhattan in general is kind of useless. It's worth a walk through, but there's next to nothing in the way of bars or clubs.

- If you're looking to go out to some cool bars, I highly recommend the East Village. There's also a ton of great food in the area for ~$10/meal.

- As another user posted, the Met is amazing. Note that why the signs say that it costs something like $25 to get in, you are allowed to pay whatever you wish to pay. I usually put down $5-7. They may give you a dirty look, but who cares. This applies to the Natural History Museum as well.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your suggestions. I will get the city pass, the version which lasts for more than a few days.

I've also read that you can pay whatever amount you want to contribute when entering the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I looked at the Broadway website and only one show caught my attention. Some rags to riches story, a comedy with a cast consisting of humans and muppets. I might see that.

I also intend to see a movie at a theater too.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend against getting the City Pass. At $114, it's really a waste of money, considering the fact that two of the places it gets you into are pay what you wish. It's really a rip off.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I won't buy the City Pass.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also add:

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is the biggest waste of money/time. The outside of the building is actually better than the inside. I got in free because I was a student at the time, but it took me a couple trips to get there when it was actually open (banker hours...) and once inside I found it really wasn't worth it in comparison to the MET.

MOMA is interesting, but if you are paying I'd pass. I took my wife there and we thought it was okay but not worth 2 admission tickets considering a huge wing was down for renovation.

I agree with Times Square. I think at night it might be worth it to do some weirdo watching.

Oh, the UN does tours and they are free. I found it to be quite interesting, if you are looking for cheap things to do, I'd recommend that. Also while you are over there you can check out the east side of Manhattan. NYU campus is something to see while you are in the area.

I wasn't into bars/clubs (still not) but if you are into doing a bit of hunting, there are always little bars you can find tucked away somewhere that might remind you of Cheers type atmosphere where the regulars are always there. I found an Irish bar like that (everyone seemed to be from Boston as they all talked like that) and I just sat and people watched while having a few beers one day.

EDIT: Forgot. There has to be somewhere you can look it up, but in summer they film a lot of tv shows and movies inside NYC. Maybe try to get near one of the shoots? They filmed White Collar right near where I was staying but I didn't even know of that show at the time so I didn't check it out. I regret that now.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all of your input.

I wouldn't mind being part of a TV show audience.

In 1994, while in the US I visited some theme parks in Anaheim, California. Tickets were being distributed for free, to be an audience member during the filming of episodes of a new programme entitled 'Cybill'. I think I worked out that it would star Cybill Shepherd but didn't feel like taking part.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Hotel Carter is really nice. Right near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. 100 bucks a night.

Really though, you dont want to stay there. The name and other aspects make it sound okay, but in reality are awful. Dont do less than 300 a night for a hotel. If you are, keep your clothes in sealed plastic bags and throw away any clothes you wear in the hotel. Saving 50-100 bucks a night isnt worth it if you have to burn all your clothes amd mattress back home because of bedbugs.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm looking at hotels on the 'booking dot com' website.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
I heard the Hotel Carter is really nice. Right near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. 100 bucks a night.

Really though, you dont want to stay there. The name and other aspects make it sound okay, but in reality are awful. Dont do less than 300 a night for a hotel. If you are, keep your clothes in sealed plastic bags and throw away any clothes you wear in the hotel. Saving 50-100 bucks a night isnt worth it if you have to burn all your clothes amd mattress back home because of bedbugs.

Okay, this is just ridiculous advice.

A) Even high end establishments can have bed bug problems.

B) You can save a ton of money by staying in the boroughs, and can probably be just as close to all the things you want to do in Manhattan.

C) Port Authority is in a pretty boring neighborhood unless your goal is to go to Times Square or get pissed at an "Irish" pub.

Honestly, I'd probably recommend going with Airbnb. It's generally the best option in the city, and you can probably find something pretty nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: