Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fromtheusa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very timely. I've looked at airbnb and I was on the verge of booking an apartment. However, airbnb seem to have a gazillion awful reviews on the 'Trustpilot' website.

Also, I fear I could end up renting from a criminal, like a serial killer.

I am thinking of just booking a hotel.
Stain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Speaking from personal experience, eh? Thank you for the heads up. Laughing

Yes, I am speaking from experience. Remember guns are legal there.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Very timely. I've looked at airbnb and I was on the verge of booking an apartment. However, airbnb seem to have a gazillion awful reviews on the 'Trustpilot' website.

Also, I fear I could end up renting from a criminal, like a serial killer.

I am thinking of just booking a hotel.

Airbnb is great, just pick something with a lot of good reviews.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done further research on airbnb since your last post and it does seem to be legitimate. However, I'd need to book a place with many good reviews.

The only thing I prefer about hotels is the assistance they offer around the clock.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel that you need that, fine, but what do you conceivably see yourself needing help with? You're really going to pay for the option.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
I heard the Hotel Carter is really nice. Right near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. 100 bucks a night.

Really though, you dont want to stay there. The name and other aspects make it sound okay, but in reality are awful. Dont do less than 300 a night for a hotel. If you are, keep your clothes in sealed plastic bags and throw away any clothes you wear in the hotel. Saving 50-100 bucks a night isnt worth it if you have to burn all your clothes amd mattress back home because of bedbugs.

Okay, this is just ridiculous advice.

A) Even high end establishments can have bed bug problems.

B) You can save a ton of money by staying in the boroughs, and can probably be just as close to all the things you want to do in Manhattan.

C) Port Authority is in a pretty boring neighborhood unless your goal is to go to Times Square or get pissed at an "Irish" pub.

Honestly, I'd probably recommend going with Airbnb. It's generally the best option in the city, and you can probably find something pretty nice.

You're probably right. I had a bad experience with bed bugs and am probably irrational when it comes to avoiding them.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping all options open. I feel hotels inspire confidence when it comes to needing help. I doubt I'd need much help if I stayed in a high-quality apartment but if something did go wrong, I'd need to call for help as opposed to calling hotel reception.

To be honest, booking a hotel isn't significantly more expensive than some apartments on airbnb.

I haven't made a decision yet. Laughing
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
I'll also add:

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is the biggest waste of money/time. The outside of the building is actually better than the inside. I got in free because I was a student at the time, but it took me a couple trips to get there when it was actually open (banker hours...) and once inside I found it really wasn't worth it in comparison to the MET.

MOMA is interesting, but if you are paying I'd pass. I took my wife there and we thought it was okay but not worth 2 admission tickets considering a huge wing was down for renovation.

I agree with Times Square. I think at night it might be worth it to do some weirdo watching.

Oh, the UN does tours and they are free. I found it to be quite interesting, if you are looking for cheap things to do, I'd recommend that. Also while you are over there you can check out the east side of Manhattan. NYU campus is something to see while you are in the area.

Guggenheim: Agree, it isn't worth going inside. It was disappointing.

MOMA: it's not bad, but if you have been to other modern art museums, there is no compelling reason to go to this one.

Times Sq: Understand the sentiment, but one should at least go there once just to say s/he's been there. It is fun for about 5 minutes (at night).

UN Tours: Not free. Tickets are currently $20 (including convenience fee). I enjoyed it though, definitely felt it was worthwhile.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for AirBNB, I used it in Seoul last December. Had an officetel near city hall for $65/night. Much, much better than any hotel option. Also used it in Bali, was all right. The value wasn't as good as in Korea. Will be doing it again in Philly and NYC next month.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have found a number of suitable apartments in NYC on airbnb. If I use airbnb, I will only go for a place which has numerous positive reviews.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:
I'll also add:

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is the biggest waste of money/time. The outside of the building is actually better than the inside. I got in free because I was a student at the time, but it took me a couple trips to get there when it was actually open (banker hours...) and once inside I found it really wasn't worth it in comparison to the MET.

MOMA is interesting, but if you are paying I'd pass. I took my wife there and we thought it was okay but not worth 2 admission tickets considering a huge wing was down for renovation.

I agree with Times Square. I think at night it might be worth it to do some weirdo watching.

Oh, the UN does tours and they are free. I found it to be quite interesting, if you are looking for cheap things to do, I'd recommend that. Also while you are over there you can check out the east side of Manhattan. NYU campus is something to see while you are in the area.

Guggenheim: Agree, it isn't worth going inside. It was disappointing.

MOMA: it's not bad, but if you have been to other modern art museums, there is no compelling reason to go to this one.

Times Sq: Understand the sentiment, but one should at least go there once just to say s/he's been there. It is fun for about 5 minutes (at night).

UN Tours: Not free. Tickets are currently $20 (including convenience fee). I enjoyed it though, definitely felt it was worthwhile.

Sorry about the UN Tour advice. I could have sworn I went there and it was free...is it free for students in NYC? Oh well, it was worth it. Also the gift shop in the basement has some unique stuff that was worth buying. I think we spent a lot in there. UNICEF got a few bucks from me that day.

Another thing I didn't talk about is going into the variety of parks within NYC. Some of the smaller ones have street performers at certain times of the day/evening/week which are really interesting to see. Central Park has all kinds of stuff to see as well.

If you are into the performing arts, the Lincoln Center might have something on that would interest you. I saw a few things there.

You didn't mention if you are keen on shopping, but I find around July 4th lots of nice sales going on too.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions. I do plan to visit Central Park. Personally, I'm not interested in visiting the UN or buying very much.

I hope to spend some quality quiet-time in the New York Public Library, I've already obtained a temporary library card from them online.

I am looking forward to the food aspect though. Ironically, I don't really eat as much as I used to but seeing as the planned trip is for 10 days, I might make an exception just this once. Laughing
northway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions. I do plan to visit Central Park. Personally, I'm not interested in visiting the UN or buying very much.

I hope to spend some quality quiet-time in the New York Public Library, I've already obtained a temporary library card from them online.

I am looking forward to the food aspect though. Ironically, I don't really eat as much as I used to but seeing as the planned trip is for 10 days, I might make an exception just this once. Laughing

FYI, you don't need a card to get in, only to take books out.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I wanted the library card so that I can use their computers for internet access. I can't be bothered to take my own laptop, I don't want the extra luggage. Laughing
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Thank you. I wanted the library card so that I can use their computers for internet access. I can't be bothered to take my own laptop, I don't want the extra luggage. Laughing

That works. Personally, I'd probably just go to an Apple Store. There are more of them and they stay open later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: