Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K Media: NY Times article may be racist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
In my experience in Korea, I've always found employers here to be astonishingly dishonest. Whether it's a hogwan or public school you just can't trust them to be ethical employers. Sad to know they often carry those traits with them when they emigrate to the West. Add the racist attitude towards hiring people who don't have a white face, and the general high tolerance for racism here, and the picture gets clearer. Look how comfortable they've been very recently in even demonizing white teachers here at drug addicts, paedophiles, potential rapists, with criminal records and forged degrees. And the looks Korean women still get because they're seen in public with a white man. And yet here they are crying "racism" over an investigative report that found Korean businesses systematically engaging in the racist abuse and exploitation of employees....But the Koreans are the victims. Confused

How terribly sparkly.

That is certainly true to a point.

However, the upshot of their management/business style is that when you actually find a decent manager, they are probably the best boss you will find anywhere.
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Korea trying to pawn off their libel and slander laws on the west.

In Korea, you can be charged with libel or slander even if you tell the truth. In the west, truth is the defense of being charged with libel.

Too bad, the truth hurts.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it. I didn't know that they were that bad. I used to go every Saturday to the local nail salon with my little sister. The place was great. It had 11 spa pedicure chairs, and they were all busy. The women who worked there would give you a 10 minute massage, instead of just a minute or two like at some crappy places.

I guess I'm glad I tipped nicely. I mean, if your job is to touch feet all day, you've earned it!
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Damn it. I didn't know that they were that bad. I used to go every Saturday to the local nail salon with my little sister. The place was great. It had 11 spa pedicure chairs, and they were all busy. The women who worked there would give you a 10 minute massage, instead of just a minute or two like at some crappy places.

I guess I'm glad I tipped nicely. I mean, if your job is to touch feet all day, you've earned it!

That's if your tips actually made it to the intended recipient. That's why they are having this investigation.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongotruck wrote:
This is Korea trying to pawn off their libel and slander laws on the west.

In Korea, you can be charged with libel or slander even if you tell the truth. In the west, truth is the defense of being charged with libel.

Too bad, the truth hurts.

I agree with this. It's too bad, and if they don't like their image tarnished - they should change for the better. Stop exploiting people. It's 2015, come out of the middle ages Korea.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingsComeAround wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

That's if your tips actually made it to the intended recipient. That's why they are having this investigation.

A lot of Asian owned places, both on the up-and-up and the sketchy ones pool their tips. I had friends back home who worked at both.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
ThingsComeAround wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

A lot of Asian owned places, both on the up-and-up and the sketchy ones pool their tips. I had friends back home who worked at both.

Most restaurants do that now, not just Asian-owned ones. This is the stuff that ThingsComeAround was referring to:

Quote:
Workers endure all manner of humiliation, including having their tips docked as punishment for minor transgressions, constant video monitoring by owners, even physical abuse.

Quote:
Tips or wages are often skimmed or never delivered, or deducted as punishment for things like spilled bottles of polish.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my buddies back home goes to those "legit" nail salons for knobjobs and whatnot. The workers are probably making pretty good money.
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qonny wrote:
Korea really isn't doing much to improve the perception of them being the world's whiny little [Evading the swear filter], perpetual victim.

Everyone is against us! Everyone is racist to us!
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swear was spelled correctly. I guess this sites swear filter is not very good.
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongotruck wrote:
The swear was spelled correctly. I guess this sites swear filter is not very good.

No, it's not, unfortunately. It used to work properly. I'll send a message and see what can be done.
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans are not a race.
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a nationality.

trueblue wrote:
Koreans are not a race.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Koreans are not a race.

Really?
Quote:
noun
  1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
  2. a population so related.
  3. Anthropology.
    1. (no longer in technical use) any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics.
    2. an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
    3. a socially constructed category of identification based on physical characteristics, ancestry, historical affiliation, or shared culture:
      Her parents wanted her to marry within her race.
    4. a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic lineage:
    the Slavic race.
  5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.:
    the Dutch race.
Bongotruck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So American must be a race and not a nationality. Right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: