Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Salary would be too low to make you go back home?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
The SAME GW Bush who prided himself in having a "C" average when giving the commencement speech to the 300th graduating class at Yale?
G.W.Bush wrote:
"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say, well done. And to the C students, I say, you too can be president of the United States." *

Oh, what great heights we aspire to.

Surely that was meant to get a laugh. Bush was dumb as a rock, but he's not boasting about being a C student here. The joke merely lacks class.

Edit: Might as well answer OP's question.. (I think he's trying to ask what salary would be low enough to make me move back home.) I would leave what I have here if I could get 1.5X back home. Money goes farther here, I'm comfy, I'm old, and there's too much nonsense back home to deal with. As a foreigner, I'm exempted from most of the Korean nonsense as long as I do good by those around me.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
I would leave if I make anything less than what I make now, and if can't make at least 30 percent more than my current earnings within the next two years, I am going to have to consider seriously getting a job in a different feild and/or going back to school. That, or opening a business.

You've outdone my expectations! Congrats.

Have you considered a career in rap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATfON8bgM-0

If I get to use those sweet pimpin' little wow graphics with the lightning bolts and exploding gem action, show me where to sign. wow
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songs about cocaine/making crack seem to be a way to get a lot of YouTube views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vYnas6q3Sg

Thanks to the viral success of the (low budget) video, this dude is set to release an album on a major label:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5k6udvyec
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
young_clinton wrote:
World Traveler wrote:

Dolts? Out of the top 200 universities in the world, look at how many are American:

They seem to have left out Cambridge and Oxford. I'm American, but reason dictates that is not representative of the top universities in the world

Oxford tied for 2nd and Cambridge 7. World Traveler left those out.

Non American universities were omitted from a list of American universities? Rolling Eyes

Out of top 20, 15 are from the United States.

The United States has only 5% of the world's population yet 75% of the universities ranked in the top 20.

When you claim Americans are less intelligent than others (which is on par with racism), you're not coming across as enlightened and sophisticated (as you think), but rather as a damn fool.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:

The United States has only 5% of the world's population yet 75% of the universities ranked in the top 20.

A lot seems to depend on who draws up the rankings.

That much is obvious from the huge differences between the different lists and their bias towards whichever country is in charge of compiling the list.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter who makes the list, the United States absolutely dominates the rankings year after year. Not something the America bashers like to hear, but it's true.
davidbilly

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: What Salary would be too low to make you go back home? Reply with quote

dont know how people react on this. but everybody has sets their own standards but tell me that it is legal
or not?
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand your question. Is WHAT legal?
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which is on par with racism

The race theory, again... Rolling Eyes

So, when did Americans become a race, anyway?
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What salary would make me go back home?

1.7 for the average university job is where I would draw the line. Adios.
2.1 for a public school job or an academy job would have me headed out the door.

The only way I would take one of these jobs would be if I had a good second job bumping the income. Say, 700,000 for 8 hours per month.

2.4 + housing and benefits should be the minimum even if one is working under idea conditions. A person should be able to stash away at least 500,000 won per month into a private savings or some type of private investment.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it really has gotten bleak. You just wrote pretty much what my answer would have been....in 1999. And even back then I was making more outside the university than they were paying me.

My understanding is that there are still some decent university ESL gigs, but that they are fewer and farther in between, and the competition to get them is X10 what it was in the past. To boot, decent privates and other outside work (writing, editing, recording) are tougher to line up.

I've said it before: Korea has been very good to us. Still, if I were 20 something now, I'd probably be looking at China VERY seriously. The Korean gravy boat has apparently sailed save for those with a decade of connections or more behind them, all the right degrees and certs, and experience galore.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What salary would make me go back home?

That is probably not the right question for me, personally I would go back home in a heartbeat if the salary was comparable and I would go back home asap if I could find a job that paid me more than I make here.

Now, if the question is "what salary would make me leave Korea"

The answer would probably be less than 45k per year. At that point, if I still couldn't find something better back home I would probably pick up and make the move to the middle east/china.
SocialParasite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is home? That arbitrarily set of lines drawn my cartographers and land-grabbers of times of yore that you were born within?

What amount of money would make one leave this "Korean nation" you say? Well what is money? Oh that's right, its that substance that allows me to continue consuming resources. Its those binary 1s and 0s in the digital realm or that paper with sweet looking Asian dudes impressed on it (who themselves commanded slave labor from their vantage point of the mandate of Heaven..or divine right of rule..but I digress). That's money right?

So if this paper that I receive every month becomes less than what I feel I should earn, I will go back to either my home or China and try to get more paper there...
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SocialParasite wrote:
What is home? That arbitrarily set of lines drawn my cartographers and land-grabbers of times of yore that you were born within?

What amount of money would make one leave this "Korean nation" you say? Well what is money? Oh that's right, its that substance that allows me to continue consuming resources. Its those binary 1s and 0s in the digital realm or that paper with sweet looking Asian dudes impressed on it (who themselves commanded slave labor from their vantage point of the mandate of Heaven..or divine right of rule..but I digress). That's money right?

So if this paper that I receive every month becomes less than what I feel I should earn, I will go back to either my home or China and try to get more paper there...

Good morning little grasshopper. Laughing

Cash is King. I work. I buy the things I need and want. Yes, if it becomes possible to instantly double or triple the amount of the paper with binary 1s and 0s I might consider moving to another country.

Life is good in these modern times. I can't think of any period in history where it was better. Long live the dollar, pound, peso, won, and little trinket.

Little grasshopper, one day you too will leave the single blade of grass and see the sunshine on the golden fields of wheat.
SocialParasite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:
SocialParasite wrote:

Good morning little grasshopper. Laughing

Cash is King. I work. I buy the things I need and want. Yes, if it becomes possible to instantly double or triple the amount of the paper with binary 1s and 0s I might consider moving to another country.

Life is good in these modern times. I can't think of any period in history where it was better. Long live the dollar, pound, peso, won, and little trinket.

Little grasshopper, one day you too will leave the single blade of grass and see the sunshine on the golden fields of wheat.

Fiat currency is king? Since you are one so enamored with the acquisition of paper and binary digits...you do know what money is I presume. All currency in these great modern times that you speak of is devoid of value (not that money was a real thing in pre-agricultural civilizations). These golden fields of wheat that you speak of...where are they and from that vantage point what would I see?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: