Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I knew I shouldn't have paid my student loans!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tophatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know another man who is a maintenance electrician. He makes $24 hour and puts in crazy amounts of overtime, overtime pay is $36 hour. I'm guessing his yearly salary is not bad.

I know some nurses back home who are knocking down 70 thousand a year. Their hospitals are often hiring.

I know a couple of loafers as well. They will never amount to much. They like to do enough to get by and then miss a few days of work from time to time.
slothrop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Fox wrote:
He or she is choosing personal satisfaction over responsibility and the honoring of promises. Perhaps understandable, but not laudable, and certainly not a solid foundation from which to build up to a case for real reform.

True, he could have just stayed at his shoe sales job and become a shoe manager, huh. At least then he'd have decent credit.

Or he could have started teaching little Koreans for a decade paid that crap off and then gone back to magic fairy never never land or where ever it was he was or what ever it was he smoked when he wrote that lame article.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
my great grandfather used to make 10$ a week base salary working for the railroad. he was able to buy 4 houses in his lifetime and never needed a bank loan. he worked alot of overtime but liked his job which mostly consisted of throwing hobos off moving trains. but he was christian about it. unlike others, he never used the baton to the head; instead, he'd kick them in the caboose, and only when the train slowed down to go around curves.

Somehow, I think the cost of living was cheaper back then. Much much cheaper. My grandparents bought an old house in the country that would have been condemned today for 500 bucks. One room was livable and then over the years, they fixed it up and repaired it. They didn't have indoor plumbing but had it installed later on. It was a nice quaint house when I was a kid. But today, the local governments won't allow folks to do that. Either go big or go home. Either pay high rents or be indebted with overpriced homes or be homeless or live in a really dangerous area with cheap semi condemned housing. I use to think my grandmother was funny complaining about how expensive everything is in modern times. Now, not so much.
slothrop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
slothrop wrote:
my great grandfather used to make 10$ a week base salary working for the railroad. he was able to buy 4 houses in his lifetime and never needed a bank loan. he worked alot of overtime but liked his job which mostly consisted of throwing hobos off moving trains. but he was christian about it. unlike others, he never used the baton to the head; instead, he'd kick them in the caboose, and only when the train slowed down to go around curves.

Somehow, I think the cost of living was cheaper back then. Much much cheaper. My grandparents bought an old house in the country that would have been condemned today for 500 bucks. One room was livable and then over the years, they fixed it up and repaired it. They didn't have indoor plumbing but had it installed later on. It was a nice quaint house when I was a kid. But today, the local governments won't allow folks to do that. Either go big or go home. Either pay high rents or be indebted with overpriced homes or be homeless or live in a really dangerous area with cheap semi condemned housing. I use to think my grandmother was funny complaining about how expensive everything is in modern times. Now, not so much.

i've seen alot of stories on the internet lately about people buying some land away from the city and living out of trailers on wheels or mobile homes. supposedly, if it's on wheels it doesn't count as a house and the property taxes on just the land can be minimal. but yeah, it's getting to where you need to accumulate massive debt to live the way our parents did. you need to be creative in order to avoid debt, interest on debt, rent and property taxes.

I've heard of that. I've also heard of the small home movement. But property taxes are based on the value of the property isn't it? If you had a mini home in a more rural area on a small piece of land, I'm sure the taxes would be cheap. I just wouldn't live in a heavy tornado area with one of those.

No prices for mini homes, but under 100 K

http://www.kenthomes.com/kent-homes-browse-mini-homes.aspx?HomeStyle=Mini%20Homes

http://www.prestigehomes.ca/index.php?option=com_homes&view=home&bytype=f&bysquarefeet=f&byproductline=1&bybathrooms=f&bybedrooms=f&byproductline=1&bylifestyle=f&builder=1&id=83&sef=Encore_Plan_11

I wouldn't live in a trailer park, but it might be cool to find an acre of land somewhere and plop this down. I'm guessing anywhere's from 200 to 2 grand depending on where you live in property taxes. Find a rural western state, maybe?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-new-glasgow-ns/mini-home/k0l1700258

Prices of some mini homes.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
These stories piss me off.

If you are poor, don't go to an expensive university, or study harder to get a scholarship, and work while you are in school.

My family was poor as hell, I paid for uni myself at a good in-state school by working full time and taking class full time. Was it fun party time? No, but it was possible and I finished with just 4,000$ in student loans from the last semester when I had to student teach and could only work on the weekends.

Did the same with my MA. Zero student loans for a 45,000$ MA.

TLDR: Stop being a lazy bum

Well, I don't think that if we want to compete with the rest of the world that we should make it more difficult for people to attend university or college. I like how Tennessee made community college free. It is much more difficult to work and pay for college in 2015 when compared to 1985. Tuition has skyrocketed! It's like 1000% more in comparison. I kid you not. Are we making 10 times the wages? If we were, I would tend to agree with you. I was lucky that I didn't have to pay for my M.A. I had a scholarship, but if you don't you'll have a lot of debt. We should get students at least paying tuition similar to what we used to pay if you factor in tuition. The increases are way out-of-line.
radcon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
SeoulNate wrote:

If you are poor, don't go to an expensive university, or study harder to get a scholarship, and work while you are in school.

My family was poor as hell, I paid for uni myself at a good in-state school by working full time and taking class full time. Was it fun party time? No, but it was possible and I finished with just 4,000$ in student loans from the last semester when I had to student teach and could only work on the weekends.

Well, I don't think that if we want to compete with the rest of the world that we should make it more difficult for people to attend university or college. I like how Tennessee made community college free. It is much more difficult to work and pay for college in 2015 when compared to 1985. Tuition has skyrocketed! It's like 1000% more in comparison. I kid you not. Are we making 10 times the wages? If we were, I would tend to agree with you. I was lucky that I didn't have to pay for my M.A. I had a scholarship, but if you don't you'll have a lot of debt. We should get students at least paying tuition similar to what we used to pay if you factor in tuition. The increases are way out-of-line.

If we want to compete with the rest of the world we should revamp our whole notion of what higher education is. More training for specific jobs starting in late high school with employers paying for most or all of it. Combine that with internships and on the job training. The system now is very inefficient and time consuming, except for Germany.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Adventurer wrote:
SeoulNate wrote:

If we want to compete with the rest of the world we should revamp our whole notion of what higher education is. More training for specific jobs starting in late high school with employers paying for most or all of it. Combine that with internships and on the job training. The system now is very inefficient and time consuming, except for Germany.

I don't think people need to attend a 4 year university, but I also think the government needs to invest more in education instead of warfare. Corporations could also contribute to the funding of special colleges. Part of their taxes should go to that instead of who knows what.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: