Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

edit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothrop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: edit Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: A True Story Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
A few months ago my elderly mother and her boyfriend drove into NYC during a winter storm. They new it was risky but they had tickets to some show that they were looking forward to. While driving on some expressway a car skidded on the ice and hit their car. Luckily nobody was badly hurt. Soon after the police came to help and after running everybody's information discovered the man in the car who hit my mother's car had an outstanding warrant out for his arrest. While he was putting handcuffs on the man another car skidded on the ice and crashed into the police cruiser. Again, luckily nobody was badly hurt. After running that guy's information it turned out he also had a warrant out for his arrest. So the policeman cuffed the other guy, put them both in the back of his dented cruiser and took them in for booking. My mother told me all this in an email and asked "what are the odds that both men were criminals with warrants out for their arrest?"
I thought it was a good question so I looked it up online and it turns out that NYC has a polpulation of 8.3 million people, and their police department currently has 1.2 million outstanding warrants. so to answer my mother's question, as best i can figure, the odds of the first driver having a warrant out for his arrest was 1 in 7, and the odds of the next driver having a warrant was also 1 in 7. so combined, 1 in 49? is that right? is my math correct?

The warrants could overlap I think. 1.2 million outstanding warrants doesn't mean there are warrants out for 1.2 million people.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My mother told me all this in an email and asked "what are the odds that both men were criminals with warrants out for their arrest?"

Maybe it was a rhetorical question? Unless your mother is a Maths teacher.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of those are bench warrants based on outstanding parking and/or speeding tickets, in many cases from individuals who live out of state.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
I wonder how many of those are bench warrants based on outstanding parking and/or speeding tickets, in many cases from individuals who live out of state.

Good point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: