Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Salary would be too low to make you go back home?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SocialParasite wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:
SocialParasite wrote:
What is home? That arbitrarily set of lines drawn my cartographers and land-grabbers of times of yore that you were born within?

What amount of money would make one leave this "Korean nation" you say? Well what is money? Oh that's right, its that substance that allows me to continue consuming resources. Its those binary 1s and 0s in the digital realm or that paper with sweet looking Asian dudes impressed on it (who themselves commanded slave labor from their vantage point of the mandate of Heaven..or divine right of rule..but I digress). That's money right?

So if this paper that I receive every month becomes less than what I feel I should earn, I will go back to either my home or China and try to get more paper there...

Good morning little grasshopper. Laughing

Cash is King. I work. I buy the things I need and want. Yes, if it becomes possible to instantly double or triple the amount of the paper with binary 1s and 0s I might consider moving to another country.

Life is good in these modern times. I can't think of any period in history where it was better. Long live the dollar, pound, peso, won, and little trinket.

Little grasshopper, one day you too will leave the single blade of grass and see the sunshine on the golden fields of wheat.

Fiat currency is king? Since you are one so enamored with the acquisition of paper and binary digits...you do know what money is I presume. All currency in these great modern times that you speak of is devoid of value (not that money was a real thing in pre-agricultural civilizations). These golden fields of wheat that you speak of...where are they and from that vantage point what would I see?

They are located one the second and third floor of EMart. This morning, I traded 80,000 won of paper money and a few coins (cash) for several big bags of food. I am currently enjoying a nice salad and some fruits, traded for in those golden fields. It's nice sitting in a cozy room and knowing I can trade my time for paper and coins then go out and trade that cash for food. It beats the heck out of running around a mosquito infested malaria forest chasing bugs for dinner.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall we stop talking in this medieval way?
SocialParasite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:
SocialParasite wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:
SocialParasite wrote:
What is home? That arbitrarily set of lines drawn my cartographers and land-grabbers of times of yore that you were born within?

What amount of money would make one leave this "Korean nation" you say? Well what is money? Oh that's right, its that substance that allows me to continue consuming resources. Its those binary 1s and 0s in the digital realm or that paper with sweet looking Asian dudes impressed on it (who themselves commanded slave labor from their vantage point of the mandate of Heaven..or divine right of rule..but I digress). That's money right?

So if this paper that I receive every month becomes less than what I feel I should earn, I will go back to either my home or China and try to get more paper there...

Good morning little grasshopper. Laughing

Cash is King. I work. I buy the things I need and want. Yes, if it becomes possible to instantly double or triple the amount of the paper with binary 1s and 0s I might consider moving to another country.

Life is good in these modern times. I can't think of any period in history where it was better. Long live the dollar, pound, peso, won, and little trinket.

Little grasshopper, one day you too will leave the single blade of grass and see the sunshine on the golden fields of wheat.

Fiat currency is king? Since you are one so enamored with the acquisition of paper and binary digits...you do know what money is I presume. All currency in these great modern times that you speak of is devoid of value (not that money was a real thing in pre-agricultural civilizations). These golden fields of wheat that you speak of...where are they and from that vantage point what would I see?

They are located one the second and third floor of EMart. This morning, I traded 80,000 won of paper money and a few coins (cash) for several big bags of food. I am currently enjoying a nice salad and some fruits, traded for in those golden fields. It's nice sitting in a cozy room and knowing I can trade my time for paper and coins then go out and trade that cash for food. It beats the heck out of running around a mosquito infested malaria forest chasing bugs for dinner.

Do you know the concept of "Fractional Reserve Banking"? It is the system by which the central banks release the money that you use to ensure that you don't eat bugs or contract malaria. The U.S. Federal Reserve, E.U. and even the issuer of your beloved 원 the 한국은행(South Korean Central Bank) use this system. If you don't know or understand, I would be happy to tell you.
SocialParasite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Shall we stop talking in this medieval way?

What is a medieval way of speaking? I am trying to make sense of this concept...please enlighten me. Thank you.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"..too low to go back home"? What? You mean too low to stay here? Or did you mean so low that you're stuck here and can't afford to go home?
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiat currency has a value. It is what the Government backs and accepts as exchange for all debts, services and products. As long as the U.S. or Canada or the Countries of Europe, Japan, etc. accept their own currency as payment then it has value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: