Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you be stopped from leaving?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headintoasia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes I hope this never happens to me!!
Lionman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Stop someone from leaving Reply with quote

It appears to be a common hagwon tactic.

I've had my ex boss tell me in Korean "You're never leaving the country" and "Your dead."

I didn't have the right visa at the time and took his threats pretty seriously. But it's just an empty threat.

A month later he called me at 1 am dead drunk and wanted to talk to me!
angelicboyne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

That is what my former employer used to do, warn people she would call immigration. She fired my friend for taking a sick day and rang immigration immediately to say she was no longer sponsoring her. She had to leave Korea immediately, when it turned out i would have to leave before contract end, not that i'm proud of it but I did a midnight run.

Now that everything is ok again at home, i'm eager to get back to Korea, my question is. Will I get a visa again? Can my former employer have blacklisted me in some way so that i wouldn't get another visa?
Breehula

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im wondering the same thing about contract breaking. Im looking at the EPIK program at the moment, you have to commit to a one year contract and im wondering if im really not happy and don't want to stay for the year what are the consequences re your contract.. do you just loose out on cost of flight home or is there anything else they can do?!!
claudiahow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: leaving before end of contract Reply with quote

If I leave my teaching position after 6 months but before end of year contract is there any way I can stay in Korea to find a job somewhere else? Immigration have said I need a Letter of Release from school, but I cant see them providing one!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: leaving before end of contract Reply with quote

claudiahow wrote:
If I leave my teaching position after 6 months but before end of year contract is there any way I can stay in Korea to find a job somewhere else? Immigration have said I need a Letter of Release from school, but I cant see them providing one!

No LOR likely means unemployed for 6 months or go to China.

SE Asia is always an option. Vietnam has decent options for someone who qualifies for an E2 as does Taiwan.

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: leaving before end of contract Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
claudiahow wrote:

No LOR likely means unemployed for 6 months or go to China.

SE Asia is always an option. Vietnam has decent options for someone who qualifies for an E2 as does Taiwan.

Vietnam's wages are going up too now aren't they? I see some in the 1800 to 2000 US range? Some even with accommodation though I'm sure many still don't provide and make you work hours instead, which I don't like. Taiwan does that too I think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: