Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is being single selfish?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Those with mental illness sometimes avoid relationships as they do not want to become a burden to others. Like having children that they cannot properly take care of.

That's actually a good potential example. I'd agree that a mentally ill individual who is desirous of a relationship but abstains for the sake of others could be fairly called altrustic, assuming that's the real underlying motive and not simply despair at the difficulty of finding an accepting and supportive mate.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
7bn consumers trashing our environment. What future for our progeny? who will be left to survive increasing natural disasters and compete for dwindling resources.

Yes, the elephant in the room. An alarmingly unsettled future for today's kids within their lifetimes.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
7bn consumers trashing our environment. What future for our progeny? who will be left to survive increasing natural disasters and compete for dwindling resources.

Yes, the elephant in the room. An alarmingly unsettled future for today's kids within their lifetimes.

I like most people will believe it when I see it.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Thats exactly how things have gotten so precarious.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
schwa wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:

You'll probably believe it when you decide to use your eyes.

Unless you think the melting polar ice and the worst ever winter and flooding in the US (yes, in 2015) was a conspiracy.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:

Thats exactly how things have gotten so precarious.

Personally, I think smugness, particularly aimed against those who would have children, will solve our climate change problems.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Singles/Never Married Persons - Psychosocial Characteristics Of The Never Married

The never married are a diverse and complex group. They differ by sexual orientation, age, health status, ethnicity, and living arrangements, and are as varied as married persons by social class background, education, occupation, and income level. The life satisfaction of the never married, in general, is similar to the married and better than for other unmarried groups, particularly the divorced. The health status of single men tends to be poorer than for married men, while never married women tend to enjoy better health than other women. In later life, the never married are more likely to face economic insecurity (particularly older women) and weaker social support networks (particularly older men) than are their married counterparts. Marcia Bedard (1992) and others contend that the happiness of single people is related to meeting their social and economic needs, not to the issue of being single.

http://family.jrank.org/pages/1583/Singles-Never-Married-Persons-Psychosocial-Characteristics-Never-Married.html#ixzz3dZ9R1gsK

Quote:

Single Celebrities Who Never Married

Bill Maher
Coco Channel
Wilt Chamberlain
Sheryl Crow
Oprah Winfrey
Ludwig van Beethoven
Simone de Beauvoir
Al Pacino
Diane Keaton
Henry David Thoreau
Queen Elizabeth 1
Ralph Nader
Condoleeza rice
The Wright brothers

http://singularcity.com/single-celebrities-who-never-married/

Quote:
In U.S., Proportion Married at Lowest Recorded Levels

(September 2010) Marriage rates have dropped precipitously among young adults ages 25 to 34 during the past decade

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2010/usmarriagedecline.aspx
catman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:
Singles/Never Married Persons - Psychosocial Characteristics Of The Never Married

The never married are a diverse and complex group. They differ by sexual orientation, age, health status, ethnicity, and living arrangements, and are as varied as married persons by social class background, education, occupation, and income level. The life satisfaction of the never married, in general, is similar to the married and better than for other unmarried groups, particularly the divorced. The health status of single men tends to be poorer than for married men, while never married women tend to enjoy better health than other women. In later life, the never married are more likely to face economic insecurity (particularly older women) and weaker social support networks (particularly older men) than are their married counterparts. Marcia Bedard (1992) and others contend that the happiness of single people is related to meeting their social and economic needs, not to the issue of being single.

http://family.jrank.org/pages/1583/Singles-Never-Married-Persons-Psychosocial-Characteristics-Never-Married.html#ixzz3dZ9R1gsK

Quote:

Single Celebrities Who Never Married

Bill Maher
Coco Channel
Wilt Chamberlain
Sheryl Crow
Oprah Winfrey
Ludwig van Beethoven
Simone de Beauvoir
Al Pacino
Diane Keaton
Henry David Thoreau
Queen Elizabeth 1
Ralph Nader
Condoleeza rice
The Wright brothers

http://singularcity.com/single-celebrities-who-never-married/

Quote:
In U.S., Proportion Married at Lowest Recorded Levels

(September 2010) Marriage rates have dropped precipitously among young adults ages 25 to 34 during the past decade

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2010/usmarriagedecline.aspx

It seems the only real benefit to getting married is the long term social network benefits (kids, extended family etc............) that would provide more stability in old age.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame things like massive debts, high living costs and the expenses of kids prevent many of us getting married. Some folks do when they can't afford it and just scrape by. Others have kids and reproduce when they shouldn't due to generous welfare payments. Shame it's the lower breeds that can breed lots and the higher breeds that can so screwed on high living costs and less good paying jobs than before that we can't afford to breed. I guess western culture will eventually be bred out.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
I think most men would be only too happy to use their earnings to support their wife and children

Would they? Wife and children maybe but just wife? I think most guys would complain about having to support a non-working wife with no children in this day and age.

Living costs were much cheaper and wages were better with inflation factored in. Also, women in the 1950's and 1960's were kind of like women here until recently. They only wanted to marry a guy with the highest salary possible and didn't matter if they loved him or not. Women didn't work and were pretty dependant on a guy this way.
chellovek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Shame things like massive debts, high living costs and the expenses of kids prevent many of us getting married. Some folks do when they can't afford it and just scrape by. Others have kids and reproduce when they shouldn't due to generous welfare payments. Shame it's the lower breeds that can breed lots and the higher breeds that can so screwed on high living costs and less good paying jobs than before that we can't afford to breed. I guess western culture will eventually be bred out.

Interestingly people were making similar complaints about our social inferiors breeding too much in Victorian England.

Tell me more about these generous welfare payments. Surprisingly, poor people still had kids before welfare existed, and still do, at a higher rate than in countries with well-developed welfare systems. I suspect people just like shagging/ejaculating in the front hole, and that welfare has little if anything to do with it. They're just cleaning up after a mess that was going to be made anyway.

Instead of gangs of brats begging/stealing on the streets, they pay the baby momma welfare to make sure the kids can eat. Doesn't always work out that way, and there are dubious aspects to it all. I would prefer this welfare system to the alternative, though.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chellovek wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:

Interestingly people were making similar complaints about our social inferiors breeding too much in Victorian England.

Tell me more about these generous welfare payments. Surprisingly, poor people still had kids before welfare existed, and still do, at a higher rate than in countries with well-developed welfare systems. I suspect people just like shagging/ejaculating in the front hole, and that welfare has little if anything to do with it. They're just cleaning up after a mess that was going to be made anyway.

Instead of gangs of brats begging/stealing on the streets, they pay the baby momma welfare to make sure the kids can eat. Doesn't always work out that way, and there are dubious aspects to it all. I would prefer this welfare system to the alternative, though.

How about women who keep popping out kids so they can get a bigger check until the kid turns 18. Usually all the kids have diferent fathers. A single person on welfare gets little, but you start popping out babies? Well, the money comes in. It's also easier to qualify for subsidized housing. I suspect there was no welfare in Victorian England. Either way, the more intelligent ones have thought things through and don't get married an have kids unless they are absolutely sure they can aford it. Also, the way the middle classis being squeezed nowadays. Unreal. As for the lower ones, they don't think about anything. My parents got divorced as a teenager and I lived amonst these for a few years as a teenager. While some were decent folks, many really had no greater ambition in life for their kids but to tellthem how to apply for their welfare at 18 as a sign of growing up. I'm surprised they didn't throw their kids welfare parties. First of the month and you'd se folks go up to the liquor store once they got their checks.

Let me put it to you this way, I was the first to get a job and work amongst my peers. (Though there were a few working class folks around who worked in low paying jobs. Many in area did not.) When I worked flipping burgers and steaks, a few others eventually did follow me, but it was about 3 years later. Guess those guys kept envying me having somemoney in pocket. So, I inspired a few of them, I guess. My middle class background inspired me.

Either way, those who shouldn't breed breed. Those who need to breed, don't as much as before because life is way more expensive than it use to be. End of story.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Typos. This work computer of mine. (Before you think to criticize my writing and spelling from above, this is why.)
chellovek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
chellovek wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:

How about women who keep popping out kids so they can get a bigger check until the kid turns 18. Usually all the kids have diferent fathers. A single person on welfare gets little, but you start popping out babies? Well, the money comes in. It's also easier to qualify for subsidized housing. I suspect there was no welfare in Victorian England. Either way, the more intelligent ones have thought things through and don't get married an have kids unless they are absolutely sure they can aford it. Also, the way the middle classis being squeezed nowadays. Unreal. As for the lower ones, they don't think about anything. My parents got divorced as a teenager and I lived amonst these for a few years as a teenager. While some were decent folks, many really had no greater ambition in life for their kids but to tellthem how to apply for their welfare at 18 as a sign of growing up. I'm surprised they didn't throw their kids welfare parties. First of the month and you'd se folks go up to the liquor store once they got their checks.

Let me put it to you this way, I was the first to get a job and work amongst my peers. (Though there were a few working class folks around who worked in low paying jobs. Many in area did not.) When I worked flipping burgers and steaks, a few others eventually did follow me, but it was about 3 years later. Guess those guys kept envying me having somemoney in pocket. So, I inspired a few of them, I guess. My middle class background inspired me.

Either way, those who shouldn't breed breed. Those who need to breed, don't as much as before because life is way more expensive than it use to be. End of story.

Well, I can trade stories with you about growing up poor in an area where most folk were on welfare. I clawed my way out too, educated to the point where y'all can call me "Dr Chellovek"

Anecdotally I can support what you're saying completely, worthless layabouts taking the system for a ride etc. Drugs, robbery, fraud, the whole shebang.

The wider evidence doesn't support it though, in my view. There are pockets of it, and examples of brazenness. But fraud accounts for only 1% of the UK welfare bill, by and large, the money supports honest people who have fallen on hard times.

I gladly let them have it, it may be them in trouble today, but tomorrow it might be me. So let's help each other, however imperfectly.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But fraud accounts for only 1% of the UK welfare bill, by and large, the money supports honest people who have fallen on hard times.

Women popping out kids by different fathers and getting paid by the state to do it isn't fraud. One in three single parent families in the UK are totally reliant on benefits as well, so it's not just a pocket. These are women making conscious decisions to have kids, knowing the tax payer is going to support them. It's not people falling on hard times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: