Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

well...so much for pride and joy of being korean...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: well...so much for pride and joy of being korean... Reply with quote

Where's all this proud to be korean stuff? We're all united, prideful, family orientated, etc...

I have some time on my hands...hence the post...

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/06/27/2015062700379.html

If another country attacked the U.S. on their soil...I don't know about you...but most everyone I know including me....I'd stick around and join the fighting.
I think the Aussies, Great Britain, Canadians, NZ...most Europeans 'cept French and Italian would stay and fight in their country.
But I suppose most of you would run also? And then come back after the fighting and proud to be an American.....

Let the remarks begin!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing is that it seemed to poll everyone, regardless of gender. That 50% of the young population, being female and having no military training, would choose to flee is no big surprise. Add in that there is undoubtedly some percentage of males who have not yet done their service as well. This is one of those questions that can vary wildly depending on the context. One person answering it might imagine some sort of sneak attack with them having to pick up a rifle and pull some sort of 'Red Dawn' type action. Others might be responding based on there being a month's buildup and time to draft people and so on.

Lastly, the poll did say that the remainder (about 45%) would be willing to perform an auxiliary/support role. That's all that is needed. The ratio of support to combat troops varies from 5:1 to 10:1 in most modern armies.

Now of course, I do wish the numbers were higher and young people displayed a higher sense of duty, but remember, the US Army didn't swell by 30 million applicants (10% of population) after 9/11. Heck, I don't think it even got a surge of 3 million.

Anyways, the worst thing you or I could do is try to form a one-man army to fight off the Norks or go all Zombie Apocalypse and try and do a one man march to Busan. Go to the designated area so you can be efficiently trucked out to a refugee center. Once there you can help out by doing things like distributing food and medicine to the elderly and keeping the children occupied or digging a ditch or something. You'd need at least 2-3 months training to be an even worthwhile reserve soldier, and by that time, the war will be over one way or another. Get real.

Cue the inevitable posts about "Day 1: Escape From Seoul" scenarios, China starting WWIII, Kim Jong Eun's robo soldiers that can march 40 miles an hour, Seoul being annihilated in 2 hours under a sea of fire, 5000 Nork fighters simultaneously rising up into the sky like a swarm of bees and descending upon Seoul.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Now of course, I do wish the numbers were higher and young people displayed a higher sense of duty, but remember, the US Army didn't swell by 30 million applicants (10% of population) after 9/11.

After 9/11, we were the invaders, not the one being invaded. I'm not going to volunteer to take part in a foreign invasion, but I would hope I would be willing to defend my homestate and especially my hometown at all cost.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If push came to shove, the only place south Koreans are going is maybe Busan. Military police will go around looking for late-teen, and early-20's, males to round up and send to the front lines.

I think that scenerio would be silmilar in all countries. There are tons of stories, throughout the world, of young boys being dressed as girls to avoid fighting. Anytime there's war, anywhere in the world, there will be refugees. And the military will do their thing, and round-up young men (willingly, or forcefully) to fight.
tob55

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the place we live, so like it or not, if military action takes place, the people will function as normally as possible. Of course those in the age range of military service will be given little choice in the matter. As a naturalized citizen of the country I don't fool myself into thinking I could be a front line person because I am too old, but I am sure working to help the cause in a food shelter or other type of facility would not be beyond the realm of possibility. My biggest concern would be the immediate safety of my family.
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's have anti-American demonstrations but when the North attacks let's all run away and let the Americans defend us. Confused
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boats to Japan would be full.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:

And they'd turn away most of them. Only the conglomerate heirs would be allowed in.
chellovek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: well...so much for pride and joy of being korean... Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:

'cept French

Oh you naughty thing you Wink

Before Paris was captured back in the 19th century, IIRC, it had been 400 years since enemy troops had taken the French capital.

Washington DC has just about made it past 200 years now since being captured by an enemy army. France has a long and proud history of martial valour Surprised

This whole French being cheese-eating surrender monkeys is a, largely, American trope that just needs to die.

Evil or Very Mad
catman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I would stay and defend my home. I guess it depends on who is doing the invading?
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
fermentation wrote:

And they'd turn away most of them. Only the conglomerate heirs would be allowed in.

They'd no longer bee conglomerate heirs when the won, their shares, real estate and what have you are now not even worth the paper they're printed on.

As far as if war were to break out on the Peninsula, you bet your a** I'd seek refuge. There's no reason to defend a corrupt, incompetent government. North Korea's one of the reasons I'm planning on leaving Korea as soon as possible.
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: well...so much for pride and joy of being korean... Reply with quote

chellovek wrote:

Before Paris was captured back in the 19th century, IIRC, it had been 400 years since enemy troops had taken the French capital.

Washington DC has just about made it past 200 years now since being captured by an enemy army. France has a long and proud history of martial valour Surprised

This whole French being cheese-eating surrender monkeys is a, largely, American trope that just needs to die.

Evil or Very Mad

Oui! Anybody who disregards French valor should look up what they had to endure during WWI. Plenty of free French and Resistance continued the fight during WWII as well.
nero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: well...so much for pride and joy of being korean... Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
chellovek wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

Oui! Anybody who disregards French valor should look up what they had to endure during WWI. Plenty of free French and Resistance continued the fight during WWII as well.

Yes! This exactly. The French troops were let down by their commanders. It's generally an American thing to belittle the French. Yet when I lived in the States I met people who had been taught the US won Vietnam lol! Twisted Evil
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: well...so much for pride and joy of being korean... Reply with quote

nero wrote:

Yes! This exactly. The French troops were let down by their commanders. It's generally an American thing to belittle the French. Yet when I lived in the States I met people who had been taught the US won Vietnam lol! Twisted Evil
Yeah, and many of my fellow Americans forget, or never learned, how key the French help was for us in the American Revolution.
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: well...so much for pride and joy of being korean... Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: