Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50 essential Rock albums of the last 50 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People take their music seriously.

I would never post a top-50-or-whatever list in a public place because music aficionados, hell, even casual music listeners have very, very strong opinions about what's "good" and what's "bad". Asking for actual, constructive criticism is a fool's errand. I doubt there's two people in the world that could agree on a top-50 of any genre.

I really do wonder what sets music apart. People rarely have as strong opinions on other forms of media. Movies, TV, literature... None of them incite a good old forum flame war as quickly or furiously as music does.

That said, you really are an idiot for not having any Black Sabbath on there. Cool
Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
People take their music seriously.

I really do wonder what sets music apart. People rarely have as strong opinions on other forms of media. Movies, TV, literature... None of them incite a good old forum flame war as quickly or furiously as music does.

It's a valid observation. For some reason there's more ownership taking place with music. There seems to be more of a personal connection, hence people take things a lot more seriously.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of Rush. Moving Pictures (1981) should be up there.

Was ELO too disco influenced to be up there?

YES - 90215 (1983) was ground-breaking stuff. Rolling Stone only gave it 3 stars out of 5.

Old Santana from his Woodstock years should be mentioned, Abraxas (1970).

The Ramones would go up there but which album was their strongest?

Sex Pistons - Never Mind... (1977)

What else?

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood (2002) should be put up for recent artists.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Santana's Abraxas (and something by Coldplay) should be included in the Top 50, and I think these albums deserve honorable mention (since I bought most of them...)

Live/Dead - Grateful Dead (1969)

I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die - Country Joe and the Fish (1967)

Psychedelic Lollipop - Blues Magoos (1967)

Do You Believe In Magic? - The Lovin' Spoonful (1965)

East-West - The Butterfield Blues Band (1966)

Vincebus Eruptum - Blue Cheer (1969)

Projections - The Blues Project (1966)

Tenderness Junction - The Fugs (1968)
sligo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badmojo wrote:
sligo wrote:
Badmojo wrote:
sligo wrote:
No REM?
No Beatles?
No Alanis Morissette? (Jagged Little pill is a fine piece of work)
No Radiohead?
No Arcade Fire?
No Queen?
No Elton John?

That list needs work

It's a matter of personal taste obviously. Every artist you mentioned has an album or two or three that is rated extremely highly. I just never got into Queen, Radiohead, or Elton John. Jagged Little Pill is a fine album, agreed.

The Beatles have always irked me. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, the White Album, Abbey Road. I've heard all of them and I just don't hear unified greatness.

Maybe if you cleaned out your ears, you might! (just kidding - each to his own and all that)

I realise also that you have no Eels on your list. The debut (Beautiful Freak) is an amazing piece of work.

Good evening my friend. As I've more than admitted in this thread, I'm kind of out of it with rock music post 2002. I have, however, heard the Eels Wonderful Glorious, and thought half of the album was full of top notch songs. How would you compare Wonderful Glorious to his/their best albums that came out years earlier?

I'm a bit like you, being in Korea for almost a decade now, i have no idea about new music. So, i am behind with even bands i really like. The last Eels i had heard was the triology release in 2010, they felt rushed and full of filler tracks, but contained some gems (worth a dowload at least). In fairness i should give them another listen. I had no idea about Wonderful, Glorious (or the album that followed it last year) until you posted. i downloaded it and listened in the car and was very pleasantly surprised. It bridged the old and the new. Hard rock for the early days and the complex lyrics in the latter albums. I think a few more listens and it will become a favourite. But, i still hold the debut album in extremely high regard. I think it is the best debut album of the 1990's! (PS i hate Oasis, so don't rebuttle with their debut)

You should download the first Arcade fire album: Funeral. It is a masterpiece of rock and rhythm.

Interesting Eels fact: The lead singer (Mark Oliver Everett) 's father created the theory of parallel universes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Everett_III
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't read like a list made by someone who actually likes music. Instead it reads like a list of someone educated by mainstream radio, sales figures, and marketing departments.

No-one in their right mind would argue any of Lennons, McCartneys, or Harrisons' solo albums climb the peaks of the best Beatles albums (Revolver, Pepper, Abbey Road).
Nor would anyone educated put the Happy Mondays on the list at the omission of the Stone Roses.
Your list misses bands that were the zeitgeist for many bands to come. Where are Big Star, the Pixies, Jeff Buckley, Love, Daft Punk, the Strokes? These bands created albums that would influence the following decades music.

And to omit Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys is ironically a common American activity. The USA fucked over the best composer they produced in the last 100 years.
Badmojo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:

Your list misses bands that were the zeitgeist for many bands to come. Where are Big Star, the Pixies, Jeff Buckley, Love, Daft Punk, the Strokes? These bands created albums that would influence the following decades music.

Yeah man, no artist on my list ever influenced anyone.....
radcon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:

The USA fucked over the best composer they produced in the last 100 years.

Please explain further. I'm truly curious.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badmojo wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:

Yeah man, no artist on my list ever influenced anyone.....

You're missing the forest for the trees. You'll never know what a number one record is because you've no grace and you haven't done your homework. I look at your list and think is this it? Despite the fact that lists and opinion forever changes I really think your list overlooks some classic albums. It could certainly doo with a little update.

Quote:

Please explain further. I'm truly curious.

Due to processes of artistic evolution Brian Wilson had gone from making songs like Surfing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2sfev-gu3I
to writing songs like She Knows Me Too Well in three years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrId4jqily8

The evolution was astounding considering Brian was writing and producing the songs. However the record label pressurized Brian to write songs that were popular, rather than developing his craft. This is evidenced by the quickly cobbled together Party album. Not to be deterred Brian kept evolving and wrote the classic album Pet Sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkPy18xW1j8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo

Despite receiving rave reviews in the UK, being heralded as a musical milestone by UK musicians, and pushing UK musicians to break new boundaries (without Pet Sounds albums such as Revolver, Pepper, Odessy and Oracle, and a million other albums would sound totally different), in the country of his birth Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson were given poor reviews and given a bit of a kicking.
"What is this shit?"
"Stop messing with the formula!"

Pushing on Brian recorded and released what is considered to be one of the greatest pop songs of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

As Good Vibrations was intended to be part of an album called Smile, Brian was met with barriers from money hungry bandmates, label, and general apathy among the general US populace when he indicated he was pushing further boundaries by releasing this little doozy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ

With mounting resistance within and outwith the band, and using drugs as an escape, Brian eventually broke under the pressure and had a mental breakdown. The Smile album was never released, Pet Sounds was considered a failure, and the Beach Boys were cast into the musical wilderness.

However, this story has a happy ending.
After decades of therapy and mental healing Brian Wilson started recording and touring again. Once he'd built his confidence, plans were announced for him to play the entire Pet Sounds album live. And where did he choose to debut this performance? The UK.

Many music fans thought that was as good as it could get, but Brian had another trick up his sleeve. He decided to re-record the pieces of the abandoned album Smile and finally put the puzzle together. He even decided to play it, in its entirety, live. And where did he choose to debut this performance? The UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM

Cue ecstatic reviews, a re-evaluation of his legacy, and a general admittance that Pet Sounds, Smile, and Brian Wilson in general had been overlooked and under appreciated for far too long.

There's even been a movie made about his life which was released this year. It's called Love and Mercy.
radcon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That was thorough.
Badmojo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're up to 49.

Getting there!

New additions to the list: the greatest punk album in the history of punk and some f'n oddity I don't know how to explain. Maybe it's bluegrass, maybe it's folk, maybe it's a quarter country and maybe it's a quarter rock. Whatever it is, it's on the list now.

1965: Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
1967: Disraeli Gears - Cream
1967: The Doors - The Doors
1967: Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
1967: Velvet Underground and Nico - Velvet Underground
1968: Canned Wheat - The Guess Who
1968: Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones
1969: The Band - The Band
1969: II - Led Zeppelin

1970: Cosmos Factory - CCR
1970: Funhouse - The Stooges
1970: Live At Leeds - The Who
1971: Hunky Dory: David Bowie
1971: IV - Led Zeppelin
1971: Electric Warrior - T Rex
1971: Who's Next? - The Who
1972: Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
1972: Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
1973: Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin
1973: Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
1973: For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music
1974: New York Dolls - New York Dolls
1974: Crime of the Century - Supertramp
1975: Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
1975: Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
1977: Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick
1977: The Clash - The Clash
1978: Parallel Lines - Blondie
1978: The Cars - The Cars
1978: Dire Straits - Dire Straits
1978: This Year’s Model - Elvis Costello
1978: Outlandos D’Amour - The Police
1978: Van Halen I - Van Halen
1979: London Calling - The Clash

1980: The Pretenders - The Pretenders
1987: Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses
1987: Kick - INXS
1987: Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson
1987: The Joshua Tree - U2

1990: Pills N Thrills N Bellyaches - Happy Mondays
1991: Nevermind - Nirvana
1991: Ten - Pearl Jam
1993: Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
1994: Definitely Maybe - Oasis
1994: Superunknown - Soundgarden

2000: The Golden Age of Rock N Roll - Josh Ritter
2001: Not Enough Education to Perform - Stereophonics
2001: Elephant - The White Stripes
2002: By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry any list without Pet Sounds is simply not complete, it is without a doubt the greatest American album of the past 50 years, it sets the stage for everything else going forward. Brian Wilson was an absolute genius with this album
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Pet Sounds should be on any list of greatest rock albums of all time, and I suggest making room for it by replacing Canned Wheat by Guess Who (which certainly should be on any list of greatest rock albums by a Canadian band ...)
oregonjoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Where is... Reply with quote

Songs in the Key of Life? Stevie Wonder?

Easily makes this lame list.

Santana?

I think Band on the Run by McCartney makes the cut.
oregonjoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Oh. Forgot Abbey Road Reply with quote

Abbey Road blows away 3/4 of your original list.

I would say it ranks as "unified greatness," whatever that means.

Beatles irk the OP....Ha Ha

Happiness is a Warm Gun
Within You Without You.
For No One
Ticket to Ride
She's Leaving Home.

Songwriters of the century
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: