Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MODS please delete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: MODS please delete Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1000 teacher vacancies in Arizona Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/21/arizona-reportedly-scrambles-to-fill-1000-teacher-vacancies/

fox news wrote:
School administrators in Arizona are working to fill at least 1,000 vacant teacher positions and one district leader said Monday that-- in some cases-- there are vacancies with no interested applicants.

The Arizona Daily Star reported that schools have faced difficulty filling the ranks in the past. The paper pointed out that officials say these positions oftentimes come with low salaries and high turnover rates.

Debbi Burdick, a Cave Creek Unified School District superintendent, told the paper that the district approved a $4,000 signing bonus for qualified teachers, but she still does not have any applicants.

Cecilia Johnson, the state’s Education Department’s associate superintendent of highly effective teachers and leaders, told the paper that—to make matters worse—25 percent of the state’s 60,000 teachers are eligible to retire in the next five years.

Johnson told the paper that the average salary for an Arizona teacher is $47,000.

you need a clean CRC to become a public school teacher, correct?
i think it's getting difficult to find people who haven't been arrested.

http://www.numberof.net/number-of-arrests-per-year/
numberof.net wrote:

How many arrests per year are made in the U.S.?

From 2005 to 2008, there are on average 14,172,384 arrests made per year in the United States. This is based on data from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation’™s Uniform Crime Reporting program. Of all reported arrests, drug abuse violations remains the greatest, with on average 1,819,970 arrests made per year.

14,172,000 arrests each year(most recent stats i could find/2004-2008)
320,000,000 total population.
average life expectancy is 80. so on average, each american can expect to be arrested between 3 to 4 times in her life.

and remember, 1% of the population is always in prison, so many of the worst criminals are already incarcerated hence not elligible to be arrested. and the rest of the worst criminals are in washington or on wall street and immune from prosecution so they also do not contribute to the # of arrests.

I think your math is fuzzy.
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1000 teacher vacancies in Arizona Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to think twice.

Quote:
Why are so many teachers leaving? Educators say reasons include low pay, insufficient classroom resources, and so many testing requirements and teaching guidelines that they feel they have no flexibility and too little authentic instructional time. According to new Census Bureau statistics, Arizona is near the bottom of a state list of spending per student, $7,208. The average per pupil spending around the country is $10,700, and the state is near or at the bottom for classroom spending per student. But it is near the top of a list of states showing which ones get the biggest percentage of their education revenue from the federal government.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/19/why-teachers-are-fleeing-arizona-in-droves/
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

i guess i was wrong. i've now read several accounts online confirming you CAN in fact become a public school teacher in the U.S. with a criminal record. So this thread is pointless.

MODS, please delete.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Arizona was a great place for teachers to work...they would have no need to be posting looking for teachers!
Starting pay for teachers is 47K a year...but it's not true. Teachers who have been teaching for 5/10 years are not even earning 40K a year!
This was confirmed by actual Arizona teachers in Pima and Maricopa counties.
Many of the teachers have left for California..10K more than what their current salaries are.

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/

http://www.nea.org/home/2012-2013-average-starting-teacher-salary.html

The average salary of a high school teacher working in Nassau, New York is $96,250.

The average salary of a high school teacher working in Santa Ana, California is $76,230.

The average salary of a high school teacher working in New York City is $77,750.
candy bar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
Leon wrote:

i guess i was wrong. i've now read several accounts online confirming you CAN in fact become a public school teacher in the U.S. with a criminal record. So this thread is pointless.

MODS, please delete.

Great thread. Why not keep it going? Let's bump it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: