Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New American Manifest Destiny
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

My biggest pet peave on the map is all that land south of North Dakota that is a part of Canada. So OK here is how it should be all land in North America south of 45 degrees 56 minutes should be incorporated into the US.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most Westerners understand that the demarcation of national boundaries, at least over areas in which they do not reside, will not impact their lives at all.

Asians still have to learn this lesson, particularly in regard to certain islands or island chains.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at a map, I got the North Dakota latitude coordinates reversed. I'm surprised I wasn't called on that. As if anybody would care to check. Laughing
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
...all that land south of North Dakota that is a part of Canada.

What? So South Dakota is part of Canada? Or all the states south of North Dakota are part of Canada?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A moose was seen in the Dakotas.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. My biggest pet peeve is "people who cannot spell peeve".
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

What? So South Dakota is part of Canada? Or all the states south of North Dakota are part of Canada?

All the land in the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence river area south of the 49th parallel. The 49th parallel is the upper North Dakota boundary.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the time is right for Michigan to strike at its old foe, Ohio and reclaim land that was lost during the Michigan-Ohio border war. Our crack legions could be on the outskirts of Sandusky by nightfall. Tuebor!

young_clinton I agree that for too long we have tolerated the aggression from out northern "neighbor" Canada and need to claim the lands and titles that are rightfully ours. The northern menace will buckle before the red, white, and blue banner of our great nation. We will be greeted as liberators, but we must strike quick before the start of winter. The Canadian plane is a treacherous place for an army. And if the lakes freeze, our ships at critical ports in the Great Lakes may become stranded.
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
isitts wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

All the land in the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence river area south of the 49th parallel. The 49th parallel is the upper North Dakota boundary.

What you have written in the OP and in your clarification does not describe what you were trying to say. The Great Lakes are not south of North Dakota. They’re east…or Southeast, and there is a state or two separating N. Dakota from the closer lakes.

Also, the 49th parallel is not the upper North Dakota border. The 49th parallel goes all the way around the world. The North Dakota border ends at the 49th parallel.

It sounds like you mean that the US border should continue along the 49th parallel all the way to Maine. Is that it?

Last edited by isitts on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
...all that land south of North Dakota...

"all that land farther south than North Dakota's border.

Sorry. But that's what confused me.

Last edited by isitts on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallacy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
Sorry. But that's what confused me.
This whole thread confused me.
yodanole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub_a2t0ZfTs
Fallacy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Brain on drugs PSA. Very funny.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
young_clinton wrote:
isitts wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

What you have written in the OP and in your clarification does not describe what you were trying to say. The Great Lakes are not south of North Dakota. They’re east…or Southeast, and there is a state or two separating N. Dakota from the closer lakes.

Also, the 49th parallel is not the upper North Dakota boarder. The 49th parallel goes all the way around the world. The North Dakota boarder ends at the 49th parallel.

It sounds like you mean that the US boarder should continue along the 49th parallel all the way to Maine. Is that it?

Quote:
"all that land farther south than North Dakota's boarder.

Why is someone from North Dakota trying to board the 49th parallel? Is it something that a person can ride?

And it sounds like the US boarder has a long walk ahead of him or her to board the vessel if it's all the way in Maine.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New American Manifest Destiny Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Why is someone from North Dakota trying to board the 49th parallel? Is it something that a person can ride?

And it sounds like the US boarder has a long walk ahead of him or her to board the vessel if it's all the way in Maine.

Touche Smile

This thread seems to have the power to produce a pet peeve chain reaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: