Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up WiFi - does it have to be a 3 year contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e.njagi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Setting up WiFi - does it have to be a 3 year contract? Reply with quote

Hey, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I recently moved to Changwon to start a 1 year teaching contract, and now that my ARC has arrived I'm trying to set up the WiFi in my house/get a phone contract. My co-teacher advised me that it is cheaper to buy WiFi + my mobile phone together so we went to SK and Olleh yesterday, but they only have 3 year WiFi contracts. This means that my cancellation fee would be about 480,000, not even counting the mandatory 2 year phone contracts.

I feel like there must be a cheaper method. So far I've been surviving on Internet Cafes and free WiFi spots but I really need get my WiFi set up. What WiFi methods have other people used for their homes/apartments?
jonbowman88

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get an internet connection to your house, its like 10-15,000/month. Then go to Emart and buy a wifi router and your good to go.

Better yet, buy the router before the internet guy comes to your house to connect your internet and he'll set your router up for you and then you can post to Dave's all day.
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up WiFi - does it have to be a 3 year contract? Reply with quote

e.njagi wrote:
Hey, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I recently moved to Changwon to start a 1 year teaching contract, and now that my ARC has arrived I'm trying to set up the WiFi in my house/get a phone contract. My co-teacher advised me that it is cheaper to buy WiFi + my mobile phone together so we went to SK and Olleh yesterday, but they only have 3 year WiFi contracts. This means that my cancellation fee would be about 480,000, not even counting the mandatory 2 year phone contracts.

I feel like there must be a cheaper method. So far I've been surviving on Internet Cafes and free WiFi spots but I really need get my WiFi set up. What WiFi methods have other people used for their homes/apartments?

Guess I'm late in answering, but for posterity, I got a one year with KT (Olleh). So it is possible. You'll pay a higher monthly rate (33k instead of 25k won) but it's better than the hassle (and cost) of potentially having to break contract if you don't end up staying in Korea three years.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay month-to-month for KT internet, and provide myself wifi via a router (which I purchased at Emart) plugged into the wall mounted LAN socket. No need for a contract at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: