Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our amusing neighbor Chinese

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mithridates

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Our amusing neighbor Chinese Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2015/08/162_185473.html
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was Japanese women a decade ago Chinese men wanted to marry but they now find Korean girls far more attractive and want to marry one and live in an American style house, drink French wine instead of tea, play around with Russian girls, hire a Filipina housemaid, and eventually become a leading member in the communist party of the nation of statism.

He says that like it's a bad thing...
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When a young unmarried man dies, the Korean would say, "Aigo, he is gone without experiencing a joy of having a wife," and the Chinese would utter, "Too bad he is gone without experiencing a joy of stealing, Aiya."

That's a horrible and unfair thing to say, but ...

Quote:
Men's clothes in China have a lot of pockets for the purpose of splitting money. Theft is the most common criminal offense. Chinese youngsters find it hard to understand when they see Korean men freely walking around in Seoul with a bulging leather wallet peeking out from their back pocket.

... this is kind of true. In Beijing. I do not carry my wallet around in my pocket anymore, I have a manpurse instead.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does anyone still read the KT except for incensing or depressing themselves?
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Korean-written article that has no point to make. I did like a few parts, though…

This was my personal favorite:
Quote:
With Americans they have a complicated love and hate relationship. Russians, as vodka alcoholics, are looked upon as an ex-comrade. Although they are close neighbors with a lengthy shared border, China keeps an ever-vigilant eye on Russia. Nevertheless, united by their shared suspicion of America, they co-operate to veto any important- policies that Washington may dream up.

And…
Quote:
"Aiya" in Chinese and "Aigo" in Korean are gems of exclamation, useful in…

Huh? What? Sorry. I must have dozed off there. I’m surprised he didn’t talk about differences in Korean and Chinese chopsticks.

Quote:
When a young unmarried man dies, the Korean would say, "Aigo, he is gone without experiencing a joy of having a wife," and the Chinese would utter, "Too bad he is gone without experiencing a joy of stealing, Aiya."

Wow. And just in case anyone’s concerned this might be racist, we’re assured at the end with…
Quote:
The writer has close Chinese relatives in Beijing and Qingdao

That’s the frosting on the cake.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot this one:
Quote:
They thought that Gen. Douglas MacArthur came too close to their border in the Korean War

Yes, that is amusing. But isn’t that much to your chagrin, as it resulted in the perpetual division of your country? But sure. You’re China’s little brother/cute sister.
SHGator428

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our big brother on the other hand would cross Korean and other boundaries indifferently. If you ignore this unique trait, you'd never understand why Chinese disregard the intellectual property rights and keep copying your inventions or fishing in Korean water without suffering from a guilty conscience.

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: