Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving Korea Today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Leaving Korea Today Reply with quote

No it's not a new topic or anything important to talk about. I thought this would be a good place to make my last post.

Yes, I am leaving Korea today. I came here in 2009. Personally, I think I got more out of Korea than Korea got out of me.

I now have Type 1 diabetes. No, it's not Korea's fault. I knew 10 years ago about the elevated levels of hemoglobin a1c. I was expecting diabetes, I just didn't see how severe it would be.

Being on my own has been good for me. I now have much broader picture of the world. I hope many others will have an opportunity to do what I did.

So to quote Douglas Adams: "Goodbye and thanks for all the fish." and "Sorry for the inconvenience."
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good health and best of luck to you in whatever you're fixing to do.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best finding a comfort zone, & moksha!
creeper1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving with or without a lady?

I think marriage keeps a lot of efl teachers in Asia.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Type1, not 2? Anyway, i know type1 can affect any1 at anytime, but ive had it for 40+ yrs. Basically have had it since i was a baby. One other friend got it when he was 18, but i dont know many others with an onset much later than that. Anyway, monitoring is ur best bet always. Sorry 2 hear ur leaving!
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck back home. I always thought you'd been around since the early 2000's.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take care of yourself with that type 1. wife's niece passed away at age 21 a couple of months ago from complications from that but I think she really didn't take good care of herself
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best 4 the future. Laughing
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your good wishes.

As for my diabetes: I'm not sure now. My doctor in Australia says that I'm type II. However, he hasn't stopped my insulin injections. What I know is that doing anything physical exhausts me very quickly.

As for Australia after 6 years: things have become so expensive! This wan't what Milton Friedman promised. He said competition and free trade will bring prices down. The Sin Tax is way up. Booze and Cigs are horribly expensive. Korea 4600 won. Austalia? 30 dollars for a pack of 25. Not only that, Aus dollar is going down, down, down. Now around 70 cents to US dollar. When I left, my lump sum pension was paid in US dollars. Thank you Korea for that. Laughing

Weather hasn't changed. Today's the third day of 37-39 C. It's only October. Pity the football players who had to play their Grand Finals in that heat. Sad
radcon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
Australia? 30 dollars for a pack of 25.

I don't smoke but holy crap. Is this true? All over Australia? Cigarette smuggling into OZ might be my next career.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
Thanks for all your good wishes.

As for my diabetes: I'm not sure now. My doctor in Australia says that I'm type II. However, he hasn't stopped my insulin injections. What I know is that doing anything physical exhausts me very quickly.

As for Australia after 6 years: things have become so expensive! This wan't what Milton Friedman promised. He said competition and free trade will bring prices down. The Sin Tax is way up. Booze and Cigs are horribly expensive. Korea 4600 won. Austalia? 30 dollars for a pack of 25. Not only that, Aus dollar is going down, down, down. Now around 70 cents to US dollar. When I left, my lump sum pension was paid in US dollars. Thank you Korea for that. Laughing

Weather hasn't changed. Today's the third day of 37-39 C. It's only October. Pity the football players who had to play their Grand Finals in that heat. Sad

Insulin injections are very common for type IIs too. Usually it's because you first weren't watching your diet. Then, you weren't properly taking your oral medication. Finally, you're prescribed insulin to inject. From what I know.

I was scolded by a smoker a while ago because I was having one of those coffee mixes readily available here. Even though my blood sugar level was a bit low(of course, he didn't ask anything about that). SO glad I quit smoking. That guy's fat, too. He MAY die earlier than me because of his bad habits. I really know smoking's one of the worst, now, thankfully. Still like my caffeine and booze though. Check your blood sugar levels as much as possible!
davai!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11151909/Cure-for-Type-1-diabetes-imminent-after-Harvard-stem-cell-breakthrough.html
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davai! wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11151909/Cure-for-Type-1-diabetes-imminent-after-Harvard-stem-cell-breakthrough.html

Looks good. Hope they (or the canucks) (or the swedes) get something that really works and really lasts.

https://uofa.ualberta.ca/news-and-events/newsarticles/2015/may/leading-edge-diabetes-treatment-program-hits-milestone

http://www.uu.se/en/media/news/article/?id=4980&typ=artikel&area=2&lang=en
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day my blood sugar meter said: HI.
I said, "Hi to you too!" then it hit me: my sugar level was OFF-THE-CHART.

Since then, I've been sugar-free and have re-discovered the joy(?) of weeding the garden.

In Australia you get your needles free if you're a registered diabetic. In Korea they were 25,000 won for 100 if you had NHI insurance.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
One day my blood sugar meter said: HI.
I said, "Hi to you too!" then it hit me: my sugar level was OFF-THE-CHART.

Since then, I've been sugar-free and have re-discovered the joy(?) of weeding the garden.

In Australia you get your needles free if you're a registered diabetic. In Korea they were 25,000 won for 100 if you had NHI insurance.

When you get a HI reading, it's NOT a greeting or sb trying to tell you to lay off the weed. Take 15 of novorapid, quick. Should fix things soon enough. Check in another hr to make sure you are where you need to be, and haven't ODed. Those HIs are the ones that really hurt you in the long run, so avoid 'em as much as possible.

If you buy your needles in a medical supply shop, they're more like 15,000 here. Guess it depends what you're buying though.

Canada? Nothing's "free". Taxes, Bluecross, and the gov't have a LOT to say on what you "really" pay for stuff there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: