Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drinking Hite Beer in the USA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Drinking Hite Beer in the USA Reply with quote

I just bought some Hite Beer from the foreign store where I live here in the USA now. I wanted to reminisce on when I was in Korea and Hite being a Korean beer I bought a bottle of it. The beer was cheaper than the bargain price that the foreign store gives for Myanmar and Beer Lao. It didn't take long for me to wish I had bought a bottle of Myanmar beer and reminisced when I was in that border Burmese town Tachileik. Hite really is as bad as they say it is, although I never remembered it that way.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that girl in the office who's maybe an 8, but take her out of the office and she's a 6.5 at best, that's what Korean beer is like.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
You know that girl in the office who's maybe an 8, but take her out of the office and she's a 6.5 at best, that's what Korean beer is like.

Hite's a 6.5? Shocked What you got Old Milwaukee at a 6, St. Ides at 5.5 and Blatt's at a 5? I'm scared to think what your 3s and 4s are.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
actionjackson wrote:

Hite's a 6.5? Shocked What you got Old Milwaukee at a 6, St. Ides at 5.5 and Blatt's at a 5? I'm scared to think what your 3s and 4s are.

I was just using the numbers as an example. I'd probably pay for a decent beer before taking a free Hite.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second Steelrails here; and agree with actionjackson on paying "for a decent beer before taking a free Hite." Sensible. Or stop drinking beer altogether if that was the only choice, even if free. I would turn down payment to drink it, unless the offer was one not to be refused.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
actionjackson wrote:

I was just using the numbers as an example. I'd probably pay for a decent beer before taking a free Hite.

I saw an ad for free beer here in Singapore. Wut?!? And then I saw the free beer offered: Hite.

Sad
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Drinking Hite Beer in the USA Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
I saw an ad for free beer here in Singapore. Wut?!? And then I saw the free beer offered: Hite. Sad
Ha! That is funny. Good laugh there. Exactly. Hite-Jinro is not a profitable enterprise. Exporting is not going to save them, as even OB outperforms them in that arena. H-J was even fined back in the Summer by the domestic Fair Trade Commission for false advertising and campaigning against a competitor! Giving away free sHite in Singapore is an act of desperation. Maybe that should be their ad: "Desperate? Drink Hite!" Their only hope for increasing sales in the USA is as Steelrails suggested, by trying to stand out among other rock-bottom brands drank by teens saving their coins.
aussieb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend a few extra won and buy a decent Japanese beer. Asahi,Kerin and Sapporo are all good beers and often available on sale in Korea.
chrisblank

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi = Kerin = Sapporo = Bud = Hite = Cass = OB = Labatt 50 = Miller = etc

your just fooling yourself if you actually think any of these is better than the other.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only decent Japanese beer I had in Korea was Baird...and it's not that easy to find.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisblank wrote:

your just fooling yourself if you actually think any of these is better than the other.

No.

I had mysterious abdominal pains after I drank Hite, Cass, or OB. They disappeared after I cut them out, even as I ordered Asahi, Sapporo, and Bud.
NovaKart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hite is available in Iraq and it's fairly popular. Like, I know some people who choose it over other beers even if it's the same price.

At my regular bar they have - corona, Heineken, tuborg, miller, hite, efes and S beer. I usually take efes.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisblank wrote:

Hite can be drinken when nothing else at all is available. It is beer after all. But I'm sorry the Japanese beers do not stand in the same category as Hite.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
chrisblank wrote:

Hite can be drinken when nothing else at all is available. It is beer after all. But I'm sorry the Japanese beers do not stand in the same category as Hite.

I don't think Hite is really beer. It's like beer colored water with formaldehyde.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
The only decent Japanese beer I had in Korea was Baird...and it's not that easy to find.

Suntory?

Hite is amazing because it isn't a bad tasting beer. It's just so bland and unremarkable that it's actually worse than bad beer. At least bad beer has a sort of desperate charm to it. Back in the day I'd buy a case of Black Label or Blatz when i would buy for underage coworkers and stuff, just to send a message. It would both make a man out of them and teach them a lesson about having other people buy for you and what it means to drink. Thing is, I couldn't do that with Hite as they'd just chug the yellow water down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: